LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Body Designs
PostPosted: February 16, 2016, 4:01 pm 

Sorry Vroom spell check got me.

PostPosted: February 16, 2016, 4:32 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
And that's why I haven't made a body like the one in my avatar--it has a pre-EPA flavor and feel to it, but doesn't resemble any specific car, so it'd be registered as a 2016 something-or-another with all the 2016 equipment responsibilities. I heartily recommend making your car look like -something- from The Day rather than -anything- from The Day.
I wouldn't say that Jack...

Every time I see your avatar, I am reminded of Cords, Voisins, MBZs and Talbot-Largos. When cars had stunningly sexy lines and if I could even think about affording one.... I'd trade body parts for one!!

1938 Talbot-Largo SS

1934 Voisin C27 Aerosport Coupe

1938 Talbot-Lago T150C Teardrop

You could call it any of these and not draw a second look.... except at the car! I vote for the 38 Talbot-Largo T150C... sexiness on wheels!

Can you tell I love cars of this vintage? Thank you Clive Cussler!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: February 16, 2016, 7:48 pm 

botbasher wrote:
You could call it any of these and not draw a second look.... except at the car! I vote for the 38 Talbot-Largo T150C.
Gosh, Ken, graped* minds think alike. When I was building that body in my avatar (you can probably find pics in the historical archive of locostusadotcom) I had considered sneaking some pics onto TamsOldRaceCarSite etc to give it historical panche, photoshopped into pre-war Italian villages and mid-'50s SCCA races (and maybe a barn find photo and a Hemmings ad circa 1970) and claiming it's a replica of a '38 Maccornacci Testadunder or some such. But you're right, the folks at the DMV probably don't care; as long as it looks pre-smog period correct it might as well be a Talbot-Largo T150C (the rare and highly desirable roadster model) as anything else.

*That was supposed to be "great" but my spellchecker knows of my youthful fondness for vino, and its apparent cumulative effects.

PostPosted: February 17, 2016, 11:48 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
I like your design, myslef. I saw CNC cut of the foam previously, but what software products are you using to develop the design on the computer, do the output for the CNC machines, etc.?

I'm using Rhino 3D for modeling and Autodesk Fusion 360 for gcode output. Fusion 360 is a great deal, the licensing is very generous! If you're an enthusiast or a small businesses that makes less than $100k a year the license is free! I've only used it for generating gcode but it looks like a very capable parametric and direct modeling tool, a direct competitor to SolidWorks.

PostPosted: February 17, 2016, 11:56 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
*That was supposed to be "great" but my spellchecker knows of my youthful fondness for vino, and its apparent cumulative effects.
Anyone that likes a Talbot-Largo will never fault you for mentioning grapes, great or not!!! :cheers: <=== Need a wine glass emoji!!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: February 17, 2016, 12:53 pm 

phongshader wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:
I like your design, myslef. I saw CNC cut of the foam previously, but what software products are you using to develop the design on the computer, do the output for the CNC machines, etc.?

I'm using Rhino 3D for modeling and Autodesk Fusion 360 for gcode output. Fusion 360 is a great deal, the licensing is very generous! If you're an enthusiast or a small businesses that makes less than $100k a year the license is free! I've only used it for generating gcode but it looks like a very capable parametric and direct modeling tool, a direct competitor to SolidWorks.

Thank you. I have Rhino 5 myself, but haven't been using it lately as all my current efforts are traditional mechanical 3D. It's interesting that you should mention Fusion 360. A full commercial yearly license costs less that the yearly maintenance and support fee on my current package and it has 3X the facilities I have now. I have a question in to the Fusion 360 FEA product manager right now. If their FEA modeler can handle thin plates and shells, I'm pretty sure I'll switch over to it. At some point, I'll try the 30-day free trail and upload my Locost models to see how well it works. I was hoping their 3D free-form modeler was based on Alias, but it's not. To bad, That's such a bitchin' package.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 3, 2016, 2:05 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
I like the idea of a 442 sized fury. It looks good, but the fenders appear too narrow for the wheels to move much. The wheels look to be about 2 inches too wide for the body ( an inch on each side).

I've revised the fenders a bit and modeled up some real world wheels. http://www.lightningbugcars.com/projectNevala.html The wheels are based on 6UL 15x8, 9, and 10 wheels. Both the 8" and 9" widths with a +36mm offset fit comfortably under the fenders and in the chassis/suspension model (fully mated and constrained) the tires clear the fenders with plenty of room.(-1.2 camber on suspension model) With the 15x10 (+25mm offset) wheels it's a tight fit in the rear but there is 3" of bump available before the tire hits the fender and no hope in the front. The 10" wide wheels are academic for the street as there are no street tires to fit a 15x10" wheel anyhow but for the track... :twisted:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 3, 2016, 7:28 pm 

^^^^^thats what I'm talking about. Gorgeous!

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 12:35 pm 

Yeah, it is really looking super, IMHO. Any rear or 3/4 views of the changes?

Cheers,

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 1:12 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Yeah, it is really looking super, IMHO. Any rear or 3/4 views of the changes?

Cheers,

Thanks, the changes to the fenders were minimal, the big change was the the removal of the hood bulge, found a couple of inches lowering the LS3 in the chassis. There are renders from several views here http://lightningbugcars.com/projectNevala.html but for those who don't want to leave the safety of LOCOSTUSA...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 7:11 pm 

Looks great!

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 9:13 pm 

Looks excellent, from the front. The Kamm rear looks a little Disneyesque.
Attachment:
Disneyland.jpg

PostPosted: March 5, 2016, 12:47 am 

For what it's worth, I like the rear too. There's a definite Corvette kind of thing going on, but there's nothing wrong with that either, IMHO. I like the way the bottom of the rear sweeps up too.

Cheers,

PostPosted: March 5, 2016, 1:05 am 

OK if we are having esthetic opinions here is mine. I like a bum with more rounded lines. Shapely but not too large.

PostPosted: March 5, 2016, 4:45 am 

phongshader wrote:
There are renders from several views here http://lightningbugcars.com/projectNevala.html but for those who don't want to leave the safety of LOCOSTUSA...
Danger is my middle name, so I checked it out. Interesting car, and your other projects are interesting too. How's that CNC tube cutter coming along?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next