LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 23, 2016, 9:08 pm 

so i have a vw irs transaxle with inboard brakes and the crown wheel flipped, i have some spitfire front spindles with hiem joints top and bottom all modified to acept ford 4 bolt wheels, i also have a porsche 914 engine and steering rack that is modified for 5/8 hiem joints.

all these parts that i intended to put in a modified lotus 23 chassis at some time but the cost of the body is in my case prohibitive.

but what about in this body

Attachment:
aztec side view.jpg

its an aztec by fibrefab.

as you can see the windshield is there but what is it from? because it looks like it is cracked in one view.

what really appeals to me is that it has a roof and side windows that my locost doesn't, i'm thinking air conditioning!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 23, 2016, 9:46 pm 

It is a nice looking car and everything can be made to work if you are will to put enough effort in.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: May 23, 2016, 10:06 pm 

If im not mistaken the windshield is 63-67 corvette. I believe you can download the manual in PDF form over at the fiberfab avenger/valkyrie sight. Hope that helps

PostPosted: May 23, 2016, 10:06 pm 

Man, I'd do that in a heartbeat! AC is a big plus. Go for it! Or buy it for me and I'll do it. (like I need another project!)

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 23, 2016, 11:39 pm 

it looks enough like a porsche 904 that i might change my name to "Quick Vic"!!!

PostPosted: May 24, 2016, 7:04 am 

It looks a lot like a kit we had over here years ago called the Karma. Some were finished to a very high standard https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=karma ... _eRHXtM%3A

Attachment:
images.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: May 24, 2016, 7:23 am 
We are Slotus!

john hennessy wrote:
it looks enough like a porsche 904 that i might change my name to "Quick Vic"!!!
Class, raise your hand if you got that reference... And here's to you, Mr. Elford!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 24, 2016, 7:54 am 

Bob over here in the U. S. Your Karma was known as the Magnum.

PostPosted: May 24, 2016, 8:51 am 

Back when I was active in the AHA, there were two guys in the club that had 'Magnums'. Both were very nicely done. Factory built (IIRC) cars, both with Mazda rotaries hooked up to the VW transaxle. Very quick!

PostPosted: May 24, 2016, 11:37 am 

The old FF cars have simple clean lines and the flip rear will allow excellent access to the drive-train.
I hope you've grabbed this one up already.
Well built examples now fetch very good money if that matters to you.
Since it was originally either VW or Corvair powered your 914 engine will be right at home.

PostPosted: May 25, 2016, 5:48 pm 

sadly, just a pipe dream.

she who must be obeyed says no to anything because she wants the house finished so we can sell and move to Florida.
well at least i got my jaguar XK8 but when she saw mine she demanded that i get one for her so now we have two, along with two repaints and suspension rebuilds for starters.

i am 66 now and recon i've got about 14 years left before i go, when i was 65 i started a 5 year plan to finish everything that was part done, i am still working on the mundane stuff like the rear axle in my 30+ year old ford f350 that has an underdrive two speed on the end of the C6 so the gears need to be changed to 3.08-1 and a posi unit fitted, and of course there's the interior to finish.

i still have to replace the radiator on my, sorry her chrysler 300m which has started leaking for the fourth time.

what about the boat you might ask, well as there is vertually no water in the largest man made lake in the U.S.A. i may just sell it, wel the motor anyway because there is a wife's embargo on boat parts and i used the clearcoat earmarked for that on the jaguars. would be a waste of a new upholstery job if i threw it away.

yes i still have the locost which just sits there looking sad and i am finding it less and less appealing to drive as i hurt and find it hard to get out and in, especially with the soft top on.

the parts i have listed above for another build will get dragged around with me for ten more years till i can find the time and money to build a car.

funny really, if you had asked me two years ago what i was doing, i would have said "buildind another car", now all that matters is finishing the house before property in Florida goes up in value and property in Arizona crashes.
i built the house with my own hands to a high standard with expensive decore but i hate the thing because its in the wrong place and i'm tied to it till its finished, then we can escape the dark side of the moon that is Arizona outside the phoenix metro area and head for the bright lights of central Florida.(been there, done that, shouldn't have left)

oh dear, what a sad old fart i have become in the last few years.

PostPosted: May 25, 2016, 9:15 pm 

OK, so if you are not grabbing the FF, where is it and how much?
Could be fantastic with a Fiero drive-train grafted in.

PostPosted: May 26, 2016, 6:35 am 

John, viewing your situation from 2,000 miles away, I'm wondering if it is not time to cut and run. Sure, selling the house now will cut into the selling price, but at what price when measured in life's non-monetary goals? Especially when looking at the trajectory of the real estate markets in the two locations. Look at your how your attitude toward the seven has changed in the past couple of years to see what I'm getting at. In addition, from your description of your location, it appears the buyer will have to love the location, not the house.

What you do now will pretty much cast the die for the End Times. When I retired we built a new home at the top of the housing frenzy and sold the old house at the near the markets bottom, but I'm glad we did. It was time.

I wish you well, good friend.

Bill

PostPosted: May 29, 2016, 1:58 am 

the body is listed on craigslist for mohave county az at a suggested price of $1500.00

as far as moving, we are thinking to capture a cheap house in florida that will be a future rental as soon as we can but all our money is tied up in an unfinished house that needs to be completed to realise its value.

also at this time my wife has a well paying job locally, at least for the next 4 years.

BB. thanks for your good wishes.

PostPosted: May 29, 2016, 2:29 pm 

Found the ad.
At least the seller appears to be honest in his description.
Price a bit high, for just $500 more there is a much cleaner and nearly complete rolling car available.
Still liking these and wondering about dropping the body onto a modified Fiero V6 chassis.
A stiff drive for me and I really should complete my CMC Bugatti first, but I'm not forgetting about it yet.