LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: March 30, 2016, 7:28 pm 

JerryH wrote:
Is anyone running DCOE's on a two litre Duratec? I've been debating the Webers with Megajolt ignition vs. ITB's with Megasquirt. I just put together a spreadsheet showing the costs for all the components for each approach. A Microsquirt with the ITBs, ignition module, the high pressure fuel system stuff and all the ancillaries adds up to about a thousand dollars more than the Webers with Manifold, ignition, linkages, etc. A basic MS3, built from the kit is slightly more, and an assembled MS3 adds another couple of hundred. It makes for a compelling argument for the carbs, especially since I don't like the idea of the high pressure fuel system in the car, and I have access to some expert help for setting up the Webers.

Im gathering the bits to do the same thing on a 1.6 Miata engine. I have the Webers, and found a Mazdaspeed manifold. Now Im thinking about ignition and its looking like the Megajolt with an EDIS 4 and a crank trigger will be the simplest/cheapest way to do what I want to do. You might already have the 36-1 trigger wheel and an EDIS if youre using Ford bits. Turns out the 2000 Protege has the right trigger wheel for me. If thats the route you choose maybe we can figure it all out together

PostPosted: April 24, 2016, 5:20 pm 

Quote:
Im gathering the bits to do the same thing on a 1.6 Miata engine. I have the Webers, and found a Mazdaspeed manifold. Now Im thinking about ignition and its looking like the Megajolt with an EDIS 4 and a crank trigger will be the simplest/cheapest way to do what I want to do. You might already have the 36-1 trigger wheel and an EDIS if youre using Ford bits. Turns out the 2000 Protege has the right trigger wheel for me. If thats the route you choose maybe we can figure it all out together

After much hemming and hawing, and a course change, I've decided to go with the Webers. The best price I was able to find on what I was satisfied are genuine (now made in Spain) was on Carbs Unlimited at $740 for a pair. They arrived last week, and are indeed the genuine article. http://www.carburetion.com/weber/weber.htm

After one failed attempt at getting a manifold (out of stock, probably won't be restocked), and figuring out the actual cost of others from the UK after exchange and shipping, I'll probably buy one of the Quad 4 Rods manifolds. I was balking at the price, and the short runner length. But now that I've been reminded how heavy the DCOE's are, having a very solid mount seems like a good idea.
http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=sho ... mid=100041

After more research I'll probably use just the ignition side of a Microsquirt for controlling the ignition. It's not that much more expensive than Megajolt and will save me some money if I decide to change to EFI down the road. And you can use the DCOE's as throttle bodies so that is covered as well.

By the way, in the arguments about genuine vs. counterfeit/copy Webers - nowhere have I see that the Chinese copies don't actually work as well as the genuine ones. And in one case, the outfit selling them is actually licensed to use the name.

And I now have a set of Hayabusa ITBs that are looking for a new home.

Jack of many trades
Master of unfinished projects
build blog/log at https://jerryslocost.wordpress.com

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 12:11 am 

Some general info from Ford Racing
https://performanceparts.ford.com/downl ... istory.pdf

Jack of many trades

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 8:21 am 

good info

ImageEngineer: noun en·gi·neer \ˌen-jə-ˈnir\ - Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge. (See also: wizard, magician, sorcerer, witch, miracle worker)

PostPosted: April 27, 2016, 12:24 am 

What's the large plastic cover on the intake side of the crankcase, just below the intake manifold? The cavity beneath looks like it might be a fluid passage, but the hose fitting on the cover does not look like it is intended for high pressures.

I can find a couple of photos of the cover replaced by a flat plate on line.

Update - It's funny how I can stare at something for hours, and in my mind for weeks (or in this case months), ask a question, then (possibly) figure it out. Is it intended as a heat source for the intake manifold? Something that I can remove and forget?

Jack of many trades

PostPosted: April 27, 2016, 9:02 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the crankcase vent, that sends piston blow by gasses from the crankcase back to the intake manifold to be re-burned. It should be pretty low pressure.

Back in the day, those gasses were not re-burned in the intake, but were just vented under the car with draft tubes. Made the cars stink.

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 4:33 pm 

Here is that Duratec assembly manual:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gk34jrwm93ru6 ... c.pdf?dl=0

Don't forget that now the 2.3 ecoboost is in the Mustang, it's another transmission source.

PostPosted: May 5, 2016, 9:19 am 

RossD wrote:

Don't forget that now the 2.3 ecoboost is in the Mustang, it's another transmission source.

What is known about this transmission?

Bill

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 10:52 am 

Hi guys,
Just wanted to say this topic has been an extremely helpful resource in my project build, thanks to everyone who has contributed! i'm new to message boards so please excuse me if i do anything incorrectly.

one quick question, anyone know of any US based companies which do performance cranks for the 2.0l duratec? im looking for a steel forged, knife edged crank keyed cranks.

Also i think it'll be great if we could compile a list of suppliers of performance parts for these engines , especially for companies within the US; most of the suppliers referenced here are from the UK.

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: June 3, 2016, 12:22 pm 

BBlue wrote:
RossD wrote:

What is known about this transmission?

Bill
I believe it's the same basic Getrag MT-82 used in the V6 and naturally aspirated V8 2015+ Mustangs.

barim wrote:
one quick question, anyone know of any US based companies which do performance cranks for the 2.0l duratec? im looking for a steel forged, knife edged crank keyed cranks.
To the best of my knowledge, the only supply of forged 2.0L cranks are those manufactured by Mazda for the 2009-2015 Miata.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 4, 2016, 7:12 am 

I'm sure cosworth makes one but it will be $$$$.

I need to get the ranger engine and Trans into my build. I'll be welding the focus oil pan soon.

If I was to buy a 2.3 Mazda engine and build it I shouldn't have any issues bolting the ranger transmission to it, right?

PostPosted: June 7, 2016, 6:20 am 

Right. However, you may need to use Ranger flywheel, starter and clutch package. Not all components are interchangeable.

Bill

PostPosted: September 12, 2018, 9:22 pm 

Hi Guys,
Hopefully someone may be of help with a Duratec interchangability question. I’m quite tempted by several short blocks for reasonable price. L3YT-02-200D - 2006-2010 / eBay item #153095890094
My questions are: Can I put my 2002 ranger head on this newer block?
Can I bolt on my flywheel and clutch (also 2002 Ranger) to this “auto” engine? Will there be a hole for a pilot bushing? I’m assuming it will have a balance shaft which I would probably just leave in.
Any info or resources greatly appreciated. I would hate to make a costly mistake / lesson.

Thanks!

Robert

PostPosted: September 13, 2018, 1:09 am 

FWIW, I used a 2008 Ranger engine (2.3 l) with an Exedy flywheel for a Ford Focus. It weighs 12.4 lbs. as opposed to 19.5 for the Ranger. However, you will have to use a Focus starter as the ring gear spacing is different from the Ranger flywheel.

PostPosted: September 13, 2018, 3:03 am 

Thanks, that certainly points to another area of consideration. That could add more trial and error, added to which I have a Quad4rods bell-housing to a T5 trans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next