LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 12:43 am 

Ewcarb wrote:
At home I bought a $300 Lotos welder

Wait... you did those welds with a $300 welder? What's the model number of that?

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 9:27 am 

This is the one I bought, it seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-Stick-Welder-PULSE/dp/B00REX6USW
That is the 2016 model. The models before are kind of pricey for what you get but the 2016 is just the opposite, a decent welder for the money.

It has a bunch of online reviewers who say this one is the best on the market in that price range. Matter of fact most reviewers put it above the "budget" Lincolns and Millers that cost almost twice the price. They also say that the duty cycle of the AHP seems higher than what is listed. The parts, like the torch and other cables, are the industry standard so you can find parts anywhere and you can easily upgrade. It definitely has a lot more control than most other TIG machines out there.

I have not turned mine on yet, still waiting to finish the garage that was started in May but hopefully, fingers crossed, this latest electrician doesn't flake out. I have had a long string of electricians flake out since at least August. I think my go to electrician is now strung out on drugs so I had to find another reliable one.

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 11:04 am 

Note that in the Amazon listing there is a used one available for $7.00. Obviously the seller missed entering the extra 2 zeros for $700.00 but under Amazon rules there's a TIG available for $7.00 plus shipping if you hurray.

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 12:14 pm 

I did. Thanks, Bill.
Curious to see if that actually works. I'll trade it for an English wheel, if I end up with it. :cheers:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 4:24 pm 

I was going to go with the alpha but the seller ended up screwing me out of a welder. Said my name was on the last one, they ended up seeking it before he could take my money from PayPal. This was before I knew you could get a debit card with your PayPal account. I couldn't wait 2 months so I went with the everlast 200. Similar specs to the alpha. I would have to weld with an alpha before I could say anything about it. I paid quite a bit more for my everlast but it's a great machine with a 5 year warranty which is unheard of in the welding industry. Miller only carries a 3 year warranty.

With any Chinese welder a good CK worldwide torch is going to make it weld like a dream. The torches are so much lighter and their red gas line is awesome. I've ran over it, step on it all the time, you can bend it in half and it won't disrupt the gas flow, it's by far the best $100 I've spent on any tool.

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 6:23 pm 

TRX wrote:
Ewcarb wrote:
At home I bought a $300 Lotos welder

Wait... you did those welds with a $300 welder? What's the model number of that?

It is a Lotos TIG200. I payed AUD$400 (US$300) however I looked just now and they seem to now be US$500 and upward. This is some old used 1/4" plate and 1/4" thick tubing. As you can see, fusion is not a problem, although it was in full pedal. No helium, just straight argon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 12:22 pm 

Well, I'll be....
My $7.00 welder has actually shipped. I didn't think that it would happen, and that the order would be cancelled, but today, I did get a tracking number. Hmmm, the questions is, what will be in the box? Maybe only $ 7.00 worth of scrap? :roll: I'll keep you posted.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 3:35 pm 

mgkluft wrote:
Well, I'll be....
My $7.00 welder has actually shipped. I didn't think that it would happen, and that the order would be cancelled, but today, I did get a tracking number. Hmmm, the questions is, what will be in the box? Maybe only $ 7.00 worth of scrap? :roll: I'll keep you posted.
Please do. I should have pulled the trigger too when I read your post earlier. I saw one was still there for 7.00 after you said you bought it (plus I think 30-something in shipping) so maybe he had 2? I hope you get what you think you ordered. :cheers:

And on the other hand I hope you don't. :boxing: I'd hate to have missed out. :BH: Nothing personal you understand. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 4:47 pm 
The voice of reason

Well, what could go wrong? You might land up with an immigrant with welding experience, that would count as a welder. :rofl:

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 5:50 pm 

Ewcarb wrote:

It is a Lotos TIG200. I payed AUD$400 (US$300) however I looked just now and they seem to now be US$500 and upward. This is some old used 1/4" plate and 1/4" thick tubing. As you can see, fusion is not a problem, although it was in full pedal. No helium, just straight argon.

Doesn't Helium add heat to the process?

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 6:30 pm 

Bent Wrench wrote:
Ewcarb wrote:

Doesn't Helium add heat to the process?

Yes. When using a small machine on thicker materials, an argon/helium mix works effectively as though the welder was capable of more amperage. 200amps is often not enough to weld 1/4" with 1/4" alloy. It is a good trick, but I didn't use it here. I did preheat for a few seconds, while backing off the cleaning action a little, which helps with penetration. To pre-heat with this thickness I will run the TIG torch at about 60amps (using the foot pedal) along the join back and then forward which also helps to do some cleaning action, then go back to the starting point and floor the throttle. Has worked for me for years on professional applications. Just hoping this may be of some help to guys grabbing a cheap TIG and trying to get the most use out of it

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 6:36 pm 

mgkluft wrote:
Well, I'll be....
My $7.00 welder has actually shipped. I didn't think that it would happen, and that the order would be cancelled, but today, I did get a tracking number. Hmmm, the questions is, what will be in the box? Maybe only $ 7.00 worth of scrap? I'll keep you posted.

Martin, My gut feel is that you're going to receive a welder for $7 plus shipping. The Amazon used goods sales process is so automated that I bet the seller won't know that he sold his welder for $7 until he gets a settlement payment of only $5 from Amazon after the transaction is complete....that's when he'll figure out that he mislisted the price. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 7:50 pm 

Bent wrench, Adding He to the Ar increases the available energy put into the material, because it's heat capacity is 1/10 th of the heat capacity of Ar. The torch is blowing room temperature gas onto the weld zone, where it is heated by the arc and conduction from the welded surface before dissipating in the surrounding air. The lower heat capacity of the mixture means less heat is lost to the surroundings (so it is in the welded material).

R1 single seat track car, in progress
Maxima VQ35 mid-engine 2 seater track car, on hold

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 7:57 pm 

Bill,
if it works out,it will be all thanks to you. It was your eagle eye and suggestion; I just executed. So I'll owe you a foaming soda, or two. :cheers:
I had it sent to my usual parcel service in Point Roberts, WA. This one will be fun to declare at the border. Yes officer, it is a $7.00 welder, here is the receipt. Oh, please, do let me pay the tax. I insist. Do you have change for a Loonie? :rofl:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 1:47 pm 

Well, when it sounds too good to be true, then .... :ack:
The $ 7 welder did not materialize; the tracking number was invalid, and I received a full refund from Amazon. Not overly surprised. However, in the meantime, I have heard of similar stories, and it appears that there is a scam going, especially when long shipping times are involved. By the time the item is supposed to show up, the perpetrators are usually long gone. They probably also count on people not even bothering to go after them, when the sums are very small.

My build log:
My build video: