LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: August 25, 2016, 5:54 pm 

Omterry wrote:
Ha! Not the response I expected, since no goats were involved, but glad to know talking engines and flying locosts get your attention JD.

To my chagrin (more accurately, the wife's, given how much it sped the work), I just found Paul Wood's illustrated guide to ripping the heart out of a V6 Camry. Will be completing surgery on this bad boy in a few hours, plus whatever it takes to get Dismantalus down for the, um, dismantling. :cheers:

Hey, I missed this one! Must be the "Old Timers" kicking in. Where do you think the nickname "Dismantalus" came from?!! :rofl:

PostPosted: November 19, 2016, 8:58 pm 

I'm not saying it has been forever since my last post, but my dad did just turn 80 waiting. Perhaps the baby got in the way (no grinding after bed time), but that seems like an excuse...

Progress:
I bought front control arm kits from Jack
I bought 2 racing Mini radiators for side-pod cooling (fans too)
I built a tunnel to give a place for shifters, big gulps, wires, hydraulics, heater hoses, etc. ad nauseum
I figured out, I think, what brake parts to buy
I decided on a fuel tank (Boyd Welding with baffling, Aeromotive pump, etc. and for JD, yes, pumps baffle me too)

So yeah, not much actual work (I think the tunnel is really nice, but would impress no one here), but progress as winter comes on.

PostPosted: November 20, 2016, 10:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
(Boyd Welding with baffling, Aeromotive pump, etc. and for JD, yes, pumps baffle me too)
Shoot, I been converting from speed/density to mass air on the Slotus. I started out baffled and went downhill from there... :roll: Sorta like my understanding of wimmen! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 20, 2016, 11:06 am 
Toyotaphobe

JD understanding wimmen is a misdirection or sleight of hand like magicians use to confuse you. They started the rumor that you could understand them to keep us off guard. There is no understanding of wimmen. And there is no manual or plans.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 21, 2016, 8:34 am 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
JD understanding wimmen is a misdirection or sleight of hand like magicians use to confuse you. They started the rumor that you could understand them to keep us off guard. There is no understanding of wimmen. And there is no manual or plans.
Actually, there's a book on it, came out just last year.
Attachment:
Book on Understanding a Woman.jpg
And we should get out of this thread with our nonsense... Put it in my build log, with the rest of the nonsense!
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 11:24 pm 

So, geologic time has passed, but on the good side, the jolly old elf has visited. Enclosed you will find a beautiful picture of a Boyd welding 15 gallon tank, approximately (but not exactly) where it will fit in the front end. OK, the picture stinks, but the tank is beautiful.

Also can be seen, a photo of the newly triangulated underpinnings that will support said tank, along with the clutch pedal and some other doohickies. The old elf brought a brake pedal and associated master cylinders as well, not shown. The clutch is an all important stand in for all of that stuff..

It should be noted that I have been a bit busy with the welder. A tunnel suitable for big gulps appeared (I suggested to Dismantalus that this was my stand in for when my favorite gearhead cousin was not available to "hold my beer and watch this." Dismantalus suggested a beer holder was inappropriate in a car, and I have to agree with that, but it does ruin the joke, so it is now a big gulp holder and place to put the shifter.)

Finally, a shot of my front, passenger side rear suspension mount. 1.25" 14 ga. steel tube supported on each side by .125" steel sheet drilled to 1/2" to hold a spherical joint. Yea verily, we have measured, cut, welded, drilled, cut and welded, that is to say, we have committed fabrication.

Progress is progress. From all of this, you can surmise that I have decided on brake equipment, defined the front suspension (rear too, but I'm not letting on until pictures are ready) mounting points, and have begun the stunningly slow process of fabbing br@#&ets. You will note the proper spelling used here. I have joined the ranks of JD, having thought a one-hour job would take, you know, and hour, and found that it took a whole afternoon, plus a trip to the HD of your choice for new hardware. These funny looking items are because I forgot to design the suspension first, :BH: so they have to be a bit longer than is truly necessary (or appropriate in mixed company). Given that, I did not want them to be a HUGE torque arm, so had to angle them towards the spindle to reduce off-axis loading, so that meant I didn't have to measure where the bolt would go, but where the bearing would go, on axis in the right plane with zeros firing at it... wait, wrong movie. What you end up with is 7 cuts, 4 holes drilled, and at least 10 welds each, given the duty cycle of the home electrical service, and a whole lot of grinding and fitting, measuring and, you get the idea. The second one took 2 hours, which is waaaaay better. I should be done by the time my baby daughter is out of college. Maybe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 11:31 pm 

Oh, and I almost forgot. I have much to be thankful for having Dismantalus nearby. Inspiration? Sure. Metal supply? You bet. But most importantly, as a welding inspector, he has come by and noted, through the unloveliness of my welding, that the welds are of decent attachment quality. To misquote the famous Gonzoracer - its not just that Moti don't work here, I suspect he don't even know where this part of New Jersey is, or if he does, he is calmly looking the other way and denying it. Given all that, the ability to have a professional review my work and point out things I need to do to make it better is a Godsend. Many thanks now, and many more in advance to Dismantalus.

T

PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 11:36 pm 
We are Slotus!

That is one fine lookin' fuel tank, ferr shurr!

And feel free to misquote me all you like... Hell, I do it myself!

JD

PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 11:40 pm 

Sure thing JD! Anytime I can misquote someone, I am much more likely to be accurate!

Terry

PostPosted: February 4, 2017, 10:01 pm 

I have been deep in the bowels of br@cket making :ack: . So deep I don't even want to show them for fear that the next ones will somehow magically take twice as long. Sure, your head can explode like JDs (actually, I think that would be impossible for most of us. My head is not thermonuclear, more like C4), but that won't get the br@cket made, the seat connected to the frame, the pedals attached to something that can, in turn, attach to the frame. It is, in short, an arduous and long process.

But fun! Life has been a bit stressful of late, and the garage, the welder, and the bits that only come in packages of 25 or more from McMaster Carr make life good. :cheers:

Photos when I get back out there with a real camera, but the tectonic process has produced both a mounting plate for the pedals and two completed seat br@ckets for the captain's chair. Mr. Sulu will have to sit on the floor just a little while longer.

Terry

PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 10:16 pm 

Driver's seat is in. Well, the mounts are completed and it was in. Now it is safely tucked away some distance from the build table so I have a bit more room. One mistake was in placement. I had it placed, then marked the spot, then decided I should put it back another inch. Well, I placed it at the forward position. This is OK fine with me, being its my car, but people with long inseams are going to have issues driving it. I guess my brother may have to just passenge... :twisted:

PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 11:19 pm 

No new pictures, but re-updates and updates just the same.

The passenger seat mounts are done, but need final welding to the chassis. No more than a half hour and those are done.

The pedals are mounted to a floor plate, which needs mounting to the chassis. That, in turn, needs flattening of the welds to ensure the frame sits flush with the table. No problem there, since I need to roll over the frame anyway to final weld suspension bits, tunnel and so on.

All of the lower front suspension mounts are cut and measured. Two are drilled and mounted, two need bolstering (I am welding .125" side plates to the tubes), drilling and welding. Another couple of hours and they will be on and the chassis mambo can begin.

After that, the front arms will be the next big milestone.

The beauty here is that I continue to make slow progress by the "steal an hour here, steal an hour their" method. Feels good.

PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 11:29 pm 

Oh, and I have been worrying like crazy about side mounted radiators. I got two small ones (Mini ones actually), and was worried I'd be low on cooling power if I upgraded my engine. Turns out the Ferrari 348 and 355 have slightly taller (by 2") rads in exactly the same place I'm targeting for my mounts/ducting. But Ferraris have only 60% of the thickness of the two-row ones I got. Those engines are bigger and make more power. I should be OK. But of course, counter arguments and ideas are more than welcome.

PostPosted: February 22, 2017, 1:19 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

It's all about airflow into and out of the radiator, regardless of position.

PostPosted: February 28, 2017, 5:23 pm 

Hey Kurt, you are absolutely right about air exiting. This didn't worry me as much as radiator capacity, since I have plenty of places to dump the radiator air and I plan to duct it in and out. Until the Ferrari example, I was worried that I had just plain gone too small with my pair of Mini race radiators (100 in^2 and 200cin^3/ea). Ferrari uses radiators only slightly bigger (~120 in^2) but only 1.3" thick. So, I have the capacity, now I just have to make it work - body design is down the road a piece.

Terry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next