LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grizzly G0602 Lathe
PostPosted: February 11, 2017, 3:29 pm 
Always Moore!

I've been in the market for a lathe for well over two years. I really wanted something American made and in decent shape but everything I found was either over priced (IE beat or absolutely no tooling or accessories) or too far away. A few weeks ago I finally accepted that if I wanted a lathe I should just get a new one.

So the question became how much lathe do I want? I decided that the 7" ones are too small since I definitely wanted something that could take a 1" diameter rod through the headstock. Grizzly and Precision Matthews both offer very nice looking 12x36 lathes. Unfortunately both will be every bit of $4k by the time its in the garage and making parts. Plus both lathes are around 1,000 lbs so putting either on a bench was questionable (I really wanted something I could place somewhat out of the way on a bench).

There are several 9" and 10" lathes in between but Grizzly's 10x22 G0602 lathe seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Precision Matthews also has a 10x22 and a 10x30 with more more features (mainly variable speed, power crossfeed, and reverse for the leadscrew) but both are creeping into 12x36 price territory. A few weeks ago I placed my order with Grizzly and the lathe arrived via UPS Freight at the end of that week - not too shabby.

I reinforced the "bench" where the lathe would be living and added some areas to bolt it to. I was anxious to see how it would deal with the roughly 400 lbs machine sitting on it. When I lowered it into place with the shop crane it didn't even creak. Maybe it could have handled a 12x36?

Attachment:
IMG_20170128_211352145.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170130_203132645_HDR.jpg

I won't bore everyone with the cosmoline removal details. All I can say is plan on devoting some time to scrubbing everything with paint thinner or something similar (someone on another board mentioned not to hit the front plate with any solvent since it will remove all of the markings - I was careful to avoid this).

After throwing the stock tool holder into the spares box, installing an AXA quick change tool post and drill chuck from Shars, and giving everything a good oiling, it was time to make some parts.

First up - adapter to install a modern 1/8" NPT temperature sender into the Sprite's cylinder head (stock sensor used a 5/8-18 thread). I originally had the compound feed at 30 degrees from the wrong direction and it made some really nasty threads. After figuring out my mistake, it was like a hot knife through butter.

Attachment:
IMG_20170202_200730932_HDR.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170202_210455921.jpg

Next was a plug for the Sprite's speedometer drive. Since it no longer needs it and the new exhaust is 1" away, replacing plastic with aluminum is probably worthwhile (1-16 thread for reference).

Attachment:
IMG_20170205_193746158_HDR.jpg

Recognizing its a $1300 lathe, I bought it expecting some tweaking. Many people documented having issues parting steel since the stock plate to hold the compound is kind of thin and only uses two bolts. The fix is to make a thicker plate on the lathe and install it using 4 or 6 bolts.

The G0602 also does not have reverse on the leadscrew. Like the plate, there are several DIY options out there. I'll be doing both of these at some point.

One thing I did not expect was play in the thread indicator - when the leadscrew was turning at higher speeds for threading, I started hearing a clunking noise. Eventually I figured out the indicator was able to move up and down in the housing by about 0.050". Lucky for me I had just the machine to make a bronze spacer!

Attachment:
IMG_20170205_203610819.jpg

So far I'm happy with the purchase. Its a nice size for the home workshop and can do a lot for the money. There are a few little details that could be nicer (see thread indicator and compound plate above) but overall the important stuff is there and the "fixes" are fairly easy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Grizzly G0602 Lathe
PostPosted: February 11, 2017, 5:33 pm 

Congratulation, Andrew. That's a mighty fine looking lathe. And good looking threads :cheers:
I got the Grizzly 7 in a couple of months ago, and I'm very happy with it. There are definite short comings, but with a bit of fiddling, things can get done. I turned a couple of fork legs that are 27 in long, but just needed a small reduction for the triple tree clamps (about a 12in section). Managed to squeeze them in, and the results are accurate enough for the application.
You'll wonder how you ever did without one before. I know I do.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: February 11, 2017, 5:42 pm 

Officially jealous.

PostPosted: February 11, 2017, 10:46 pm 
The voice of reason

You be manly now Andrew!
:hail: :headbang: :yay:

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 1:48 am 

I don't know what I'd do without my lathe. I couldn't afford a new one, and prices are astronomical for even old, used ones around these parts. Eventually, I found this 1947 South Bend 9" lathe:

Attachment:
lathesmall2.jpg

One advantage of buying new is you get most of what you need for it. In my case, about 1/3 of the change gears were missing, it only came with a lantern post tool holder, no cutting bits, etc. Since then, buying piecemeal, I've managed to add a milling attachment, convex/concave/ball turner (made that myself, using the lathe), the remaining change gears, QCTP, etc. etc.

The funny thing about a lathe is that it's kind of like the old expression: "To someone with a hammer, everything looks like a nail", and not a day goes by when I don't look at something and think "Hmmm - I could do something like that on the lathe!". It's amazing what you can do with one - to make the first parts of my ball turner attachment (my own design- works great!), I needed to machine perfectly rectangular blocks of T-6061 aluminum. Turns out, it was easy, using just the lathe.

As the old expression goes, "A lathe is the only machine ever devised that can be used to re-create itself."

Congrats on your Grizzly!! You are going to find SO much to use it for!! :cheers:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 7:43 am 

Congrats on entering a new phase of life. You will now spend the rest of your life exploring the capabilities of these creations. (like making a rectangle out of round stock) You will find yourself designing solutions to problems based on the capabilities of your lathe. I did that for so long that when I got a vertical milling machine, it sat unused as I rarely saw a need for it.

BTW, my 12 X 36 sets on stand whose basic design is very similar to yours. Very adequate.

Bill

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 11:53 am 
Always Moore!

I can't begin to count the number of times I carefully squared stuff on the belt sander or carefully aligned the drill press to make sure stuff was straight and centered. A lathe would have knocked these jobs out in a fraction of the time and they would have actually been true versus 'close enough to true'. I probably should have bought a HF 7" lathe years ago.

I started a new exhaust for the Sprite before I bought this lathe. Its nearing completion and yesterday I added bungs for an O2 sensor and EGT probes. As I'm tearing open the package I realized I paid almost $30 for 3 bungs. Granted my time is worth something and I don't have the tap for the O2 bung, but the 1/8" NPT weld bungs for the EGT probes would have taken no more than 10 minutes each to turn.

mgkluft wrote:
I got the Grizzly 7 in a couple of months ago, and I'm very happy with it.

You posted lathe stuff in your build thread right after I ordered mine (thanks - it made the wait even longer! :mrgreen: ) I wouldn't put the lathe on the top 10 list for a Locost built but they definitely have a place. The wheels are turning for the next Locost and having a lathe will make V2.0 of my upright design even better.

zetec7 wrote:
One advantage of buying new is you get most of what you need for it.

This ^

I was originally trying to find a 10" South Bend. I can't tell you how many were out there and did not include chucks, collets, tool posts, etc.

zetec7 wrote:
I needed to machine perfectly rectangular blocks of T-6061 aluminum. Turns out, it was easy, using just the lathe.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never used a 4 jaw chuck. I'm sure that will change soon.

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 12:04 pm 

Nice purchase, I was working the other day and thought about how nice it would be to have a lathe. I am also a big fan of buying new because you know it is going to work and if it doesn't you can return it. Everything you need is there and it's not rusty, falling apart, has quirks etc.

I spent ages looking for a tire Machine, I had to have one that could change my 14" wide rear wheels. In the end it worked out much better to just get a new one.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 12:30 pm 

A 4-jaw chuck is a royal PITA to center your workpiece in...and an absolute necessity when working anything other than round stock, or material with the number of sides divisible by 3. On the other hand, the 4-jaw makes things like turning connecting rod journals on a crankshaft possible.

I have both and, while my 3-jaw is on the machine 90% of the time, when I need the 4-jaw the other 10% of the time, I couldn't do without it.

BTW - with a 4-jaw, one trick to greatly reduce setup time is to use 2 chuck keys, at the same time, on opposite jaws (one loosening, one tightening). I didn't get a second one with my lathe, so I used my lathe to make a second one...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 1:30 pm 
Always Moore!

We had a Monarch 10EE lathe in the FSAE shop that had a 3 jaw chuck with a similar arrangement. The 3 jaw part worked like a normal 3 jaw but it was attached to sort of a backplate that had 4 set screws then the backplate mounted to the headstock. I got really good at dialing it in with a dial indicator. Practice made perfect!

I also found a video on Youtube where someone used an extra deadcenter mounted between the tailstock and whatever the point is you're trying to center. Using a dial indicator, you adjusted the jaws until the second deadcenter didn't wobble.

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 11:58 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
(like making a rectangle out of round stock) You will find yourself designing solutions to problems based on the capabilities of your lathe. I did that for so long that when I got a vertical milling machine, it sat unused as I rarely saw a need for it.

When was the last time you needed a piece of square stock? That's how you turn all you freshly rounded stock back into square!

You mostly don't need a very big lathe for our car projects. Sure, it would be nice to turn a meteorite in your backyard into fancy brake discs, but mostly what's useful is the endless variety of spacers, collars, shims, washers etc. you can make to put things together perfectly.

Andrew, I heard that about front uprights! My pet peeve on these projects.

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 8:08 pm 
Always Moore!

I'm envisioning a custom set of front axles. Still not sure whether I'll use an existing hub or whether those will also be custom.

I still like sheet metal uprights - with the ability to turn centers, making rears is now possible. The last hurdle will be rear hubs if I go IRS. If I could figure out a way to DIY internal splines I'd be set.

PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 12:13 am 
The voice of reason

You can buy Pinto axle spuds and Wide 5 axle snouts, if you design for them you get to design something lots of people might use. Those parts are weld on though, maybe you could turn something that would be a bolt on axle like what they do on the traditional Spitfire style uprights.

There are also some standards for the rear the offroad types are using. They fabricate rear suspension and uprights. "Micro stub" or some such.

Quote:
If I could figure out a way to DIY internal splines I'd be set.

I think you need a broach and a press or perhaps a fearsome robot with rotating knives for hands!

PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 9:33 pm 
Always Moore!

I've never been a fan of weld on front axles. The HAZ typically ends up in a highly stressed area and the steel you typically want for axles gets very brittle when welded.

The last set I did were press in. The centers of the uprights were bored to size after welding, the axle was pressed in, and a safety bolt was installed from the back side in case something happened to the press fit (sleeve cracked, etc). Seemed to work okay.

PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 10:20 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I went through pretty much exactly the same trials, and had decided to buy that exact lathe, for all the same reasons. Having a 1" bore seemed critical to me. I owned a mini-late (7x14" I think?) for a few months, and I don't recommend them for anyone doing automotive-scale work.

I would have bought the Grizzly, if I hadn't found a nice Jet 10x22 for $600. I'm extremely happy with that size. While I tried desperately to talk myself into a 12x36, I don't think it would have been a tremendous upgrade for what I've turned.

I gotta say, this line of your first post confused me:
Quote:
I won't bore everyone with the cosmoline removal details.

No joke, I spent 30 seconds trying to understand that sentence. I really thought you were saying you weren't going to cut anything on the lathe until removing some kind of plastic decals. This made no sense! :facepalm:

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]