LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: February 23, 2017, 7:56 am 

Good day in the shop yesterday. Project - emergency brake assembly.
In order to build the emergency brake assembly I had to mock up the brakes. In order to do this I had to bolt the backing plates to the axle housing. In order to do this I had to pull the axles - I think you can see where I'm going with this, it takes a lot of pre work to get to the point of doing the job you want to do.
The OEM setup had the emergency brake cables entering the backing plates from the front, this was not acceptable on this application because of the trailing arms. So I swapped backing plates side to side, now the entry holes are on the rear of the plates.
Attachment:
IMG_1417.JPG

The OEM setup used a foot pedal, I choose a hand lever for this project simply to have more room in the DS foot well. I had to adapt the OEM cable for the hand lever by making up a threaded adjuster and swaging it on the cable. The hand lever cable I adapted is the longer cable in the pic.
Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_344.jpeg

Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_342.jpeg

Then it was just a matter of fabbing up a bunch of mounting br@cketz for the cables and locating them.
Attachment:
IMG_1419.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1420.JPG

I reworked the hand lever cable equalizer to accept the rear OEM cables.
Attachment:
IMG_1421.JPG

On this build I chose to use cable guides that go through the frame (they will be fully welded).
Attachment:
IMG_1422.JPG

The following is just some pics of the installation from various views. I'll be securing the front cable to the side of the tunnel so that there will be no chance of it occupying the same space as the drive shaft.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 23, 2017, 9:46 am 

Perry
The cable routing is very nice solution :cheers: Plus you locate the E-brake lever out of the way of your elbow :mrgreen: .
But I do not think you are playing fair! Maybe even cheating!!! You sure have a lot of space in that tunnel :lol:
Dave W

PostPosted: February 23, 2017, 1:47 pm 

Nice job! Isn't it amazing how details like these can take so much time? It's easy to get bogged down by some of this stuff. In retrospect, although it initially looked daunting, building the frame was the easy part!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 24, 2017, 12:21 pm 

That's a nice solution for the e-brake location, Perry.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 25, 2017, 12:07 am 
We are Slotus!

Nice work! Good placement of the e-brake lever. Perfect for those hand-brake turns... :twisted:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 26, 2017, 12:40 am 

Thanks for the compliments gents.

The other day I noticed I was getting low on my steel stash and I starting twitching, not a good sign. So today I got up had a coffee and headed into the city. Picked up enough 1", 3\4" sq tube, 3/4" tube, flat steel, angle iron, and 4'x8' .065" to finish this build and get a good start on build #4.
Attachment:
IMG_1448.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1449.JPG

Once I got home and put that away, I went into the shop and scratched for a spell. Now only a "locoster" can understand what I am about to explain. The OEM heater assembly just would not work on this build so online I went and a week later I received my heater assembly from JEGS.

Attachment:
IMG_1438.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1437.JPG

Now here's the deal. The brand new heater did not meet the ducting requirements I wanted for this build. So only a builder like myself would mount it upside down, weld all 3 heater doors shut, then weld on three 1 3/4" round outlets on a brand new heater.
Attachment:
IMG_1439.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1440.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1443.JPG

I dug up my home built coolant pipe bead beater and made some beads on the heater outlet tubes.
Attachment:
IMG_1434.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1435.JPG

I then proceeded to fab up the defroster box and attach it to the scuttle.
Attachment:
IMG_1436.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1442.JPG

Put it all together and took a pic
Attachment:
IMG_1445.JPG

Put 12v to the motor and by golly, it blows!
That's all I got to say about that.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 26, 2017, 6:56 am 

Excellent Work PERRY ! I like the way you solve PROBLEMS !

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 3:25 am 

jimzagg wrote:
Excellent Work PERRY ! I like the way you solve PROBLEMS !

Thanks Jim, just part of the build.

Now as all you Locoster's know, there comes a point in the build where one must have spaghetti.
Attachment:
IMG_1450.JPG

And to compliment the spaghetti we have wiring fluid to wash it down.
Attachment:
IMG_1451.JPG

This is part of the build I find most relaxing.
Studying wiring diagrams, ringing out the wiring harness, snipping unwanted wiring from the harness, cutting and soldering, shrink sleeves, WTF is this for?, relays, ground circuits, switches, ECM's, flashers, sensors, connectors, fuses, goats, knobs, bulbs, sockets, squirrel tooth marks on the wiring, solenoids, regulators, cables, filling up the trash can with excess wiring.....life is good :cheers:
All for the love of building a car :BH:

And when it's all done we are just supposed to turn the key and it starts, easy peasy, :lol:

As a side note: not that I'm old, but I remember when you could put 12v to the coil and starter, put the fuel pump hose in a can of gas, turn the key, crank the engine over, and it runs ( then you use a dwell meter to set the points, that's fine tuning, and a tach to adjust the needles on the carb to get the idle just right). Ahhhh the good old days.

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 3:07 pm 

horchoha wrote:

And when it's all done we are just supposed to turn the key and it starts, easy peasy, :lol:

As a side note: not that I'm old, but I remember when you could put 12v to the coil and starter, put the fuel pump hose in a can of gas, turn the key, crank the engine over, and it runs ( then you use a dwell meter to set the points, that's fine tuning, and a tach to adjust the needles on the carb to get the idle just right). Ahhhh the good old days.

Must be a GM guy. All I had were feeler gauges. Adjust, put it together, check dwell, take it apart and readjust, rinse and repeat as necessary. They did make wiring simpler back then. Oh wait, that is how my Cushman is working right now. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 11:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

Mighty fine wiring fluid you got there, Perry!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 11:31 pm 

horchoha wrote:
This is part of the build I find most relaxing.
Studying wiring diagrams, ringing out the wiring harness, snipping unwanted wiring from the harness, cutting and soldering, shrink sleeves, WTF is this for?, relays, ground circuits, switches, ECM's, flashers, sensors, connectors, fuses, goats, knobs, bulbs, sockets, squirrel tooth marks on the wiring, solenoids, regulators, cables, filling up the trash can with excess wiring.....life is good :cheers:
All for the love of building a car :BH:

I keep asking myself "Why did you want to do fuel injection on the 53?" and thinking to myself, this would be running in a week if I just slapped a carb on it, and 5 of those seven days would be waiting for the carb to arrive in the mail.

It'll be worth it when the car doesn't make the garage, and the attached living space with a wife in it, smell like gas. They tend to get cranky about that...

PostPosted: March 8, 2017, 12:55 am 

Well, a bit of an update, off topic and on topic.

Did a Toyota Tundra heater core this past weekend. Talk about spaghetti and screws! Pulled the dash out.
Attachment:
IMG_1455.JPG

Got the HVAC box on the bench to remove the old heater core.
Attachment:
IMG_1454.JPG

Cut open the old heater core, hmmmmm, I see blockage.
Attachment:
IMG_1456.JPG

On to the build!!
Removed as much wiring as possible from the OEM wiring harness. Seat belt, interior lighting, anti skid, HVAC, air bag, power accessories, and whatever else didn't make sense was removed from the harness's. Filled up 1/2 a garbage can.
Attachment:
IMG_1461.JPG

Cut 2 holes in the scuttle firewall for the harness OEM fitment to go through. Had to lengthen some wiring and shorten some wiring.
Attachment:
IMG_1460.JPG

Built the battery box and installed the electric fan and fan relay.
Attachment:
IMG_1459.JPG

Then I rung out the ECM wiring to prove each system. Then I tried depressing the clutch pedal to see if I had a permissive crank.
Attachment:
IMG_1458.JPG

And some video of that moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzVic8nJlZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOd05h3YSAQ

And there is was

PostPosted: March 8, 2017, 8:28 am 
We are Slotus!

WooHoo! It's alive!!! Nice work Perry.
Too bad you had to toss out all that spaghetti... Starving children in Abyssinia, etc, etc...

But my real question is: JUST WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT IN THE HEATER CORE!?!?!?! :puke:

PostPosted: March 8, 2017, 10:37 am 

Congrats on the start-up, Perry. You make that all look way too easy.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 8, 2017, 10:42 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
But my real question is: JUST WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT IN THE HEATER CORE!?!?!?!

That is what happens when a person puts radiator stop leak in the cooling system to try and stop a rad leak. These newer vehicles with aluminum heater cores can't handle that. The heater core tubes are so fine they plug up so bad that reverse flushing will not clean them out, they have to be replaced.

I've also found other debris in them, old silicone, rubber gasket material from radiator caps, and such. Heater cores are a great garbage trap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next