LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tube Car Tires
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 1:56 pm 
Always Moore!

Its 2017 and apparently someone still makes car tires that require tubes. Even better - they're for competition use!

They tire place allegedly tried to mount them and they leaked so bad that the beads wouldn't seat. Interestingly enough when I dropped the wheels and tires off there were no valve stems and when I picked up the wheels there were no valve stems but two of the tires were covered in lube - a bit odd.

So anyways I've heard of people running these tires without tubes and having issues with them leaking down over the course of a week or more. It isn't really a huge deal when you're checking pressures between sessions. I'm debating between ordering a set of tubes or finding another tire place that will mount them.

Is there anything special I need to know about tubes, sizing them, or what to tell the tire place when they install them? I think I found two tubes that will work (one from Coker and the other a generic no-name). The internet doesn't have a lot of information presumably because its general existence started a decade or two after people stopped using tube tires on cars in the civilized world!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Tube Car Tires
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 2:24 pm 

Andrew,
I don't know about car tires and tubes, however, I have now run into that issue with the sidecar. In my time there were no tubeless motorcycle tires, so this is all new to me, as there are tires that still require tubes, and I'm putting them on tubeless rims. It works fine, but you will need a valve stem grommet. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/
As to mounting them, maybe a motorcycle shop may be able to help you; or try it yourself with some tire irons. Depending on the sidewall, it may work quite well. The biggest trick is not to pinch the tube. Put one side on, shove in the tube, and then gently inflate it. That way it will stay out of the way, when you lever the second side on. Use lots of soapy water, or WD 40 (although I have only been told that by a very experienced installer; personally I haven't used WD 40).
Good luck, and keep the blue air to a minimum. :rofl:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 9:53 pm 

a.moore wrote:
Its 2017 and apparently someone still makes car tires that require tubes. Even better - they're for competition use!

They tire place allegedly tried to mount them and they leaked so bad that the beads wouldn't seat. Interestingly enough when I dropped the wheels and tires off there were no valve stems and when I picked up the wheels there were no valve stems but two of the tires were covered in lube - a bit odd.

So anyways I've heard of people running these tires without tubes and having issues with them leaking down over the course of a week or more. It isn't really a huge deal when you're checking pressures between sessions. I'm debating between ordering a set of tubes or finding another tire place that will mount them.

Is there anything special I need to know about tubes, sizing them, or what to tell the tire place when they install them? I think I found two tubes that will work (one from Coker and the other a generic no-name). The internet doesn't have a lot of information presumably because its general existence started a decade or two after people stopped using tube tires on cars in the civilized world!
They couldn't get the beads to seat at all, or couldn't get them to seal once seated? If the former then you definitely need to find a different tire place. BTW do not ever EVER let Wal-Mart touch your tires, or anything else on your car for that matter. I made the mistake of letting one near me mount a set of 175/60-13 Ax tires thinking "what could go wrong", and what DID go wrong was them tearing a 3" hole in the sidewall of one of my tires, and then me waiting a few weeks for the replacement to show up. :facepalm: :evil:

Just curious, but are those Hoosiers?

PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 9:55 pm 

p.s. Forgot to suggest that you ask the mfrs advice about what tubes to use and where you might find them. ;)

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 12:49 am 
Always Moore!

Thanks Martin. Did not know about the grommet - odds are I'll be ordering from Summit so I'll toss four of those in my cart. I'm still blown away any halfway reputable tire manufacturer would even both with tubeless today.

JBinMD wrote:
They couldn't get the beads to seat at all, or couldn't get them to seal once seated? If the former then you definitely need to find a different tire place. BTW do not ever EVER let Wal-Mart touch your tires, or anything else on your car for that matter. I made the mistake of letting one near me mount a set of 175/60-13 Ax tires thinking "what could go wrong", and what DID go wrong was them tearing a 3" hole in the sidewall of one of my tires, and then me waiting a few weeks for the replacement to show up. :facepalm: :evil:

Just curious, but are those Hoosiers?

The later. Allegedly they went on the bead fine but wouldn't seal. I've had race wheels and tires not want to seat before. Its been about a decade but I believe it was a set of Kodiak wheels - the safety bead was an odd shape and the tire would often seat and seal before it was against the shoulder of the wheel. My buddy became a master at mounting them.

And yes those are Hoosier Street TD tires (185/60-13). I tried calling them but Hoosier and all of the distributors don't work weekends. Its at the top of my list for Monday. ;)

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 6:28 pm 
Always Moore!

I called Hoosier today - apparently they are tubeless but the mold is older and hasn't been updated to reflect it.