LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: March 1, 2017, 10:05 am 

Just had a look through your log.. great work.

Is that soric in your fender lay up?

PostPosted: March 1, 2017, 9:49 pm 

airframefixer wrote:
Is that soric in your fender lay up?

Yes.........I used soric on the front fenders, in the floor under the seats, and then coremat on the rear fenders. They are both easy to use, conform great to contours, and they cut easy (both in the raw form and after cure). It seams like the soric soaks up a little less resin, which results in a lighter laminate, plus the bagside surface takes on the cool honeycomb shape. I did notice some print through issues on the tool side using the soric due to some in porosity in the those honeycomb channels. One fender shows worse that the other so I think it can be attributed to a less than perfect vacuum bag. It's hard to see unless you are really looking........but I know it's there. The coremat on the other hand had has zero print through issues, but it is more of a resin hog.

I used wet ply layup for everything. So I can't speak to how well it works for infusion layups. One trick I did use when I was applying the resin was to spread out the correct oz/yd amount with a squeegee, then roll up the soric/coremat and "wring" it out like you would a wet towel. This helped to better and more evenly distribute the resin throughout the product. You had to be a little more careful with the coremat vs. the soric as the coremat wanted to tear.

Overall I would highly recommend it. If I was doing a full body (I'd love to do a Lotus 23 build) it would be my first choice. For the amount of stiffness per unit weight it adds I think it's extremely cost effective. Much cheaper, lighter, and faster than adding additional plys.

PostPosted: May 13, 2017, 8:32 pm 

Life is busy getting in the way, but licensing is right around the corner.
Attachment:
Almost Done Trimetric.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by jaf on November 21, 2019, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 2:37 pm 

Looks good in white!

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 7:52 pm 

Suh-weeet!!

PostPosted: June 12, 2017, 9:28 pm 

Few pics of the rear cover............material is Sewable Composites from Composite Envisions/Elite Motoring. It was drum tight before the trailer ride to the inspection center. Highway Patrol inspection process is complete, next I have to make a road trip to Jeff City.
Attachment:
Rear Cover Tri.jpg

Attachment:
Rear Cover Top.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by jaf on November 21, 2019, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 14, 2017, 10:40 am 

Very nice. Did you sew that yourself?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 4:46 pm 

What's that a picture of?
Attachment:
VIN.jpg

Attachment:
HP-DMV.jpg

Last edited by jaf on November 23, 2019, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 7:21 pm 

Definitely one of the most satisfying moments of the build! Mucho congratulations!

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 9:17 pm 

So I'm putting a bow on this project...........even though I'll never be truly done. Title is in hand and I'm 100% street legal.

First autocross attended, 25miles each way, 6 runs, no cone damage, and no issues getting back home. Times were respectable for not having a good alignment, and springs/shocks on full soft and still 1.0" to high on ride height. First car show attended, 35miles each way, took 1st in People's Choice, and no issues getting there and back. I'm sure I got some strange looks driving in 50F degree weather at 5:30am with safety glasses, ear plugs and something covering mouth/nose/ears. Also driving home in rush hour traffic on a Friday the car was surprisingly comfortable. I've heard all stories of how every other car on the road looks like a big rig.......you guys aren't lying.

Pic of autox and turbo/exhaust manifold heat shield included. I also have a inline marine bilge blower that I have plumbing to draw air in from front of the radiator and blow it over the exhaust and out the hood. This is a huge help when the car is not moving.

Attachment:
first autox.jpg

Attachment:
heat shield.jpg

Last edited by jaf on November 23, 2019, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 19, 2017, 10:52 am 

Which inspection center did you visit?

PostPosted: October 19, 2017, 6:57 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
Which inspection center did you visit?

Trailered to Troop C Super Site off Koch Rd. twice. Once for the inspection and second time to get the VIN installed. First visit was a little argumentative as they put 2017 Specialty Construction on the forms then later put a note at the bottom "1961 Lotus Seven - Replica" after I pleaded my case. When I took all of the paperwork to Jeff City they weren't happy they had to make the choice between Specialty Construction or Replica...........I ended up winning. The second trip to the inspection station for the VIN plate was simple. Same guy, better mood this time. Didn't have to unload off of trailer and he let me put the VIN where I wanted, let me drill the holes, and install it. All they did was pop the rivets and stamp the heads with the state of MO stamp.

FYI......DMV office WILL NOT license/register your car without the physical title in hand. That was the longest process of waiting for the inspection center to mail the paperwork back to Jeff City stating the VIN was installed. Then processing said paperwork, printing the title, and finally mailing the title to me. Glad to have it all behind me.

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 2:49 pm 

You made Jalopnik's Build of the week, congrats! You're officially internet famous now! :cheers:

PostPosted: September 8, 2018, 1:31 pm 

JL1 wrote:
You made Jalopnik's Build of the week, congrats! You're officially internet famous now! :cheers:

Thanks goes to Chris K. I met him at a Cars-n-Coffee event and he was the one that contacted Jalopnik about my car and got the ball rolling. Stef did a fantastic job with the article, I just provided her with a link to this build log, answered a few questions via email, and shared all of my photos. It's always nice to see a Locost build get some recognition outside of this beloved forum.

PostPosted: September 8, 2018, 3:14 pm 

Fabulous. So, we have something to aspire to beyond a lot of "atta boy" comments in these forums? What a country.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next