LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 12:52 pm 

Hi! I'm interested in building a locost in the future, especially if my means permit me to do so; right now I'm gathering info as early and much as possible. Since the idea of locost is skimping on expenses while keeping the quality of the output, would an aftermarket gearbox, like these products in this gear box range be suitable for those who are just starting out, or should I opt for the gearboxes from well-known car companies? If I'll be opting for the latter option, there would be an increase in expenses, right? :BH:

Hope I was able to construct my question well. Would love to hear your thoughts on this one. Thanks!

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 5:45 pm 

What is your main donor vehicle?
Factory gearbox is usually the cheapest way out.
Some donors are nearly free, think of a rusty but running Triumph Spitfire or MG Midget.
Not so powerful but still rewarding to drivers skill.
Miata appears to be popular with the younger crowd.

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 6:54 pm 

I looked at the page briefly, and those don't look like automotive transmissions. More like industrial gearboxes. The route that is most likely to be the cheapest and easiest will be to find a front engine, rwd donor car, and use the complete drivetrain out of it. If you have access to a lathe, then you can mate basically any transmission to any engine. I went this route with my car, because I used a plentiful and cheap engine from a front wheel drive car, and then built a flywheel and adapter plate to put a rwd transmission behind it.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 6:58 pm 

As Richard said, you should seriously think about an automotive gearbox but also think about the engine and maybe even the differential at the same time. If you keep your eyes open you may find someone who just wants to get rid of an old car that might make a good donor. One was listed on this site not too long ago. Think simple and rear wheel drive. There must be some old MG's or Triumphs around that would make excellent first go-rounds for construction. (I think I'm just repeating what Richard said!)

Look around the neighborhood for old vehicles just sitting but with a drive train and other components still usable.

Roy

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 7:56 pm 

What area of the country are you? Is there a builder close to you that you can go over to an pick their brain? Miata trannys are cheap and several Mazda motors and Ford motors bolt right up to them I think. If possible stick with a single donor as that will simplife your life. I think Jack McCornmack on here may have some paletized Miata donors. If not Flying Miata will. Russ

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 10:34 pm 

Hi drex22. Welcome to the forum for building awesome Super 7 Locosts.

What part of the world are you from? That would determine the availability of donor for your build.

Had a look at the hyperlink to the gearbox you were asking about - those are for industrial applications, not automotive. I am assuming when you are talking about a gearbox you mean automotive manual transmission. As the replies from the guys say - find a rear wheel drive donor car, that will provide you with most of the donor parts you require.
Again welcome and you have definitely have a wealth of info to read and research here.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 8:08 am 

Thanks for the inputs, everyone. Since your answers are relevant to each other, I think a catch-all reply should be enough.

I don't have any donor cars yet at the moment. Yeah, the site looks like an industrial equipment company, but as you guys said, industrial gearboxes can be the cheapest option. The question is, how did they fare when you used one for your locost?

PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 9:01 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I don't think anyone here has used an industrial gearbox as part of a car build.

PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 10:08 am 

As a retired industrial maintenance mechanic, I can say with some confidence that an industrial gearbox is NOT what you need. Almost without exception, they are a single, fixed gear ratio. On the rare occasions when I have come across a multi-ratio box, they were not a shift-on-the-fly unit. The gearboxes shown on the page that you listed are entirely the sort that I worked with for decades in the industrial arena. You've come to the right place to learn most all that you will need to build your own sports car. The guys that have replied (excluding myself. I'm still a wannabe) have all been down the road a time or two, so sit at the feet of the Masters, and learn! :cheers:

PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 11:08 am 

Most industrial gearboxes that I have seen are not rated for the RPM's that our engines run. You haven't mentioned the application here. Are you looking to replace an automotive manual transmission, are you trying to make a 90 degree change in axis, maybe for a BEC?

As has been mentioned industrial gearboxes are generally a single ratio setup. Some specialty ones are continuously variable.

In the case of a CEC, nothing will beat the price of a transmission from a single-donor vehicle. Back in the day, several builders bought a lightly-used Miata, parted out parts not needed and after keeping the parts necessary for their build, actually came out with money in their pocket.

The variables are many. One cannot make your build choice based on the price of a single component and come out with the lowest cost overall build.

FYI, I built my locost based on the original low-cost philosophy that Ron Champion preached with his book. While not as creative as he was, I managed to keep my raw build costs to around $5K, not including any donor component refresh costs that I chose to do to make it reliable. That added around $2k. I could have done it for less, much less.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766