LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kurtis body
PostPosted: June 9, 2017, 9:37 am 

Very Impressive! Keep the pics comin'!

PostPosted: June 9, 2017, 3:56 pm 

Yes, that's a very nice English wheel. Congrats on your low-cost approach.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 5, 2017, 8:07 am 

Doing a little more work on the cowl and headrest/fairing. The fairing was tricky...spent WAAAY too much time on it. i am going to weld all the rear panels together first, then cut in the fairing. That way i can position it properly and hopefully get the body shape to "flow" nicely

Anyone want to help with the deck lid (it is steel - need to make it in aluminum and it is too big to do by myself) It looks flat, but actually has about 5" crown in the center - lots of wheeling!

Hoping to weld the rear and rear corners together this weekend....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 7, 2017, 11:44 pm 
The voice of reason

I'd enjoy giving you a hand but I can't make it this week. Next week should work though.

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 7:42 pm 

Do all of the small wires that make up the body lines go away once its done? Probably a really dumb question, But.... I had to ask. This is really outstanding. The metal shaping is really intriguing. I've watched Wray on a few videos. He's like Covell. Hocus pokus and its done. These guys are true wizards.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 9:11 pm 

The wires are called a "wireform" - it is a 3D template - its not perfect but pretty good. It is a very versatile design tool - easy to visualize and model shapes. One of Wrays (many) tricks, is to put bright colored masking tape on the wires to see it better. It gets cut away as the body sections are added. An alternative to a wireform is a "buck" - wooden and/or metal structure that can be used to form the body. Bucks are a lot of work to make and difficult to change. If you are making several of a part, it might be worth the effort. For a 1-off, it is easier to just build what you need. For the next car, id like to try to incorporate some bulkheads and permanent structure into the wireform.

Im working on the cowl. The cowl/firewall is what I used to reference the chassis. The plan is to mount the cowl, then use that to reference the rest of the body. I cold bent the inner structure - it is U channel. 1" x 0.5" x 0.125" 6063 architectural aluminum.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 9, 2017, 12:30 pm 

I'll have to say, now that you've explained it, that the wire frame approach looks to a very effective and economical means of defining the 3D shape. I see all the complex bucks most metalshapers use (Covell, et. al.), and it is daunting to think about first designing one, and then building it. Plus, you have to visualize how you leave the right amount of "eye ball" space to make sure you have fidelity from underneath when the shaped metal is placed on the buck. It seems like that would be hard to do when you're not experienced. The wire approach looks cheap, and it should be easy to do a visual inspection of the match-up with the shaped metal as you go along.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 10, 2017, 9:07 pm 

Lonnie- -the wireform approach is definitely faster and cheaper. I have a very good friend who is a formally trained sculptor. he helped me a lot with the model (1/6 scale clay) and the wireform. It made me realize that building a custom car is really art/sculpture, just a different medium. Working with a real pro is an absolute pleasure and great learning experience. I tend to see right angles and straight lines whereas he sees shapes and forms. I guess i have more of an engineers brain.
What was really interesting, was when bending the rod (1/4 HRS steel) it naturally formed really nice, flowing curves. I felt like we were replicating the design process that was used back when Kurtis was building these.

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 12:46 pm 

You know the natural shapes you get from bending certain materials are always pretty. Ship builders used wooden "splines" of certain tree species for hundreds of years, and they make naturally nice curves. It looks like bendable steel has some of the same properties.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 7:03 pm 

Wray told me to use the 1/4" hot rolled round steel. It can be bent fairly easily with hand tools and by hand. It doesnt kink and is very inexpensive, plus the final product is very sturdy. I have used some tig welding wire for tight contours. It isn't as sturdy but bends really easily.

I screwed up the left half of my cowl. The joggles (hood flange) didn't match left to right. I tried to sharpen it up but it wouldn't form the right shape. I over hammered the aluminum too thin in some places. Ill make a flexible shape pattern off the right side and use that to make a (almost) perfect left side.

PostPosted: October 5, 2017, 7:19 am 

Started mounting the cowl/dash/firewall. I am gong to reference the rest of the body off of this, so i has to be just right. Need to roll the dash edge. Never done that before, hoping to learn next week

Also - here are some pics of the custom body build by Wray and his crew at ProShaper. It is a 1920 REVERE. I was a 4 seat convertible. It has a "walking beam" engine designed by Fred Deusenberg. They designed and build the aluminum body, reminiscent of an Indy car of the era. Super cool with amazing fabrication. I helped with it a tiny bit.

PostPosted: October 5, 2017, 4:19 pm 

Your work is looking darned good. As you'd expect from a professional team, the 20's Revere looks fantastic.

Cheers,

PostPosted: October 7, 2017, 10:58 am 

Your chassis has me intrigued. Any possibility of some fotos or a build log?

PostPosted: October 7, 2017, 4:08 pm 

Thanks - i was pretty happy with it.....im just an amateur, though. Took me about 4-500 hrs (8-10 hrs a week for a year). You are welcome to stop by and look it over. Most stuff is pretty standard design wise...nothing innovative

PostPosted: October 7, 2017, 4:43 pm 

What's the source of your rear uprights, differential? Solstice? Corvette?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next