LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rolvotus Se7en
PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 5:55 am 

Just some electrical stuff last night.

California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken pizza for dinner.

PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 5:59 am 

Dismantalus wrote:

The only problem with this approach is how to have an odometer for a street legal car.

Hmmm, that's a valid point, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 8:56 am 

Dismantalus wrote:
Unless something changed while I wasn't looking, these all use standard GPS technology. No data is basically used to use them. No different than a Tom Tom, et. al.
The only problem with this approach is how to have an odometer for a street legal car.

Ok, I didn't realize that. That's makes it a quick and easy speedo application. I see that there are odometer apps, speedo/odometer apps.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 9:36 am 

Dismantalus wrote:

That's a good question. I know the one I use has an odometer function, but it's not vehicle specific, it happily increments even in the boat.
It doesn't have a visible reset option anywhere, but I suspect if I were to uninstall/reinstall it would reset.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 10:34 am 

Might be a silly notion, but what about an hour-meter?

PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 10:41 am 

DMV, or whatever they call it where you are, are looking for a non-resettable, permanent odometer. An hour meter won' do either

PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 1:23 pm 

(Re the iPhone Speedometer)
Dismantalus wrote:
As programming challenges go, that's not a tough one...once one is skilled enough to use GPS data to determine and display speed, reference a timer can accumulate distance. The "once one is skilled enough" bar is kinda high, but after that it'd be a walk in the park. Maybe I'll write the guy a note.

This speedo thing has been a constant pain to me since I built MAX. I started with a Garmin GPS, and I've been using Wayz on my iPhone for the last few years, but they both have dime-size speedos.

PostPosted: October 11, 2017, 1:41 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
(Re the iPhone Speedometer)
Dismantalus wrote:
As programming challenges go, that's not a tough one...once one is skilled enough to use GPS data to determine and display speed, reference a timer can accumulate distance. The "once one is skilled enough" bar is kinda high, but after that it'd be a walk in the park. Maybe I'll write the guy a note.

This speedo thing has been a constant pain to me since I built MAX. I started with a Garmin GPS, and I've been using Wayz on my iPhone for the last few years, but they both have dime-size speedos.

I agree, getting a computation of distance should be rather simple for a coder. I'm speaking more along the lines of what the inspector will accept when you go to get the car street legal. I know for sure a phone or tablet app is not going to fly here in the nanny state of NJ. Of course, what you do AFTER its legal is a whole other matter...... :wink:

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 6:00 am 

So my shipment of switches turned up from wholesalemarine.com

The products were super nice quality, I did some through tube cable routing:

The front of the ignition key has a nifty water seal on it:

Trying to keep the cables tidy as I work, the relay on the bulkhead will eventually be encapsulated in a waterproof relay box, i'm waiting for that to be delivered from Demon Tweaks in the UK.

My dash as it sits now:

Gauges from far left to right: Water Temp,Cell Phone,Tach,Oil Pressure,Oil Temp,Amps,placeholder. Amps will be replaced with Volts and gauge on the right will probably be afr. Not sure yet. The green light is is alternator warning light and the switch is fuel pump. I'm still looking for a better light, I don't like the connections on the back of the amp light, they seem to flimsy. Its a 9/16th hole. I'll keep searching, maybe mcmaster has something.....

Also got the coils wired in with silly old resistors:

Back of the dash:

I also tested the functions, it appears everything worked as planned and I even got ignition and the engine ran briefly on ether.

Home made Shrimp po-boys for dinner.

Last edited by aidandebradney on October 12, 2017, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 8:26 am 

I've got to ask. How do you get to work on this every day? Independently wealthy? Home based business? drug dealer?

I'm hoping it's something I can replicate.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 8:37 am 

TooBusy wrote:
I've got to ask. How do you get to work on this every day? Independently wealthy? Home based business? drug dealer?

Hahahaha. Long story short, I spent too many years at the bottom of a bottle, after sobriety I swore to myself that would never happen again.
3am alarm, 3.30am at work. 7 hrs work, leave work at 10.30am. Home by 11am. Pick up my son from school at 3.30pm, then do another hour work from home later in the afternoon. Bed by 10pm. 19 wonderful hours of productivity.

This way I maximize daylight hours at home for productivity. With my wife at work and my son at school I can 'heads down' for a good 4 hours each day prior to 'family life'

So 'no' to independently wealthy, 'nope' to Home based business and a 'nay' on drug dealer.

On days that the weather isn't fitting for working on the car,i'll go for a run or take a nap, or go on a hike. It's a pretty great life, and I'm super lucky that the company that I work for is so flexible with my schedule.

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 9:13 am 

aidandebradney wrote:
Hahahaha. Long story short, I spent too many years at the bottom of a bottle, after sobriety I swore to myself that would never happen again.
3am alarm, 3.30am at work. 7 hrs work, leave work at 10.30am. Home by 11am. Pick up my son from school at 3.30pm, then do another hour work from home later in the afternoon. Bed by 10pm. 19 wonderful hours of productivity.

This way I maximize daylight hours at home for productivity. With my wife at work and my son at school I can 'heads down' for a good 4 hours each day prior to 'family life'

So 'no' to independently wealthy, 'nope' to Home based business and a 'nay' on drug dealer.

On days that the weather isn't fitting for working on the car,i'll go for a run or take a nap, or go on a hike. It's a pretty great life, and I'm super lucky that the company that I work for is so flexible with my schedule.

Well, you're doing an awesome and inspirational job! A tip of the Chai Latte to you! :thmbsup:

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 9:56 am 

Acerguy wrote:
Well, you're doing an awesome and inspirational job! A tip of the Chai Latte to you! :thmbsup:

Thanks man, I appreciate that very much. :D

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 12:06 pm 

aidandebradney wrote:
TooBusy wrote:

Good deal. Great use of productive daylight hours.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 4:13 pm 

One of the indicators at this search may meet your criteria.

Digikey Link

I preselected 12V, non-solder terminals, in stock, and the closest to 9/16 diameter I could find.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next