LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 2, 2018, 9:40 am 

Okay, so I have a life goal that in 5 years I plan to race One Lap of America. The original plan was to get my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner Pro-touring build ready for it, it is way closer to being on the road then my 5.0 powered Locost. On road and track ready are 2 very different things, I started working on Budget and am getting a little discouraged about if I can get the Old Bird ready in time (from a strictly a money point). The Plymouth will have more comfort then the Locost for this trip, and being fatigued from the transit stages of the event is a huge concern. (let's be honest though neither car will be a Grand Touring wonder).

So my question is: The Locost will probably cost about half or even less to actually finish. How stupid is it to consider using the Locost for this event? The total trip will be approximately 12000km in 2 weeks (this includes my travel to the start and back home).

I am ready for the bashing on this!

1999 Dajiban build
Autcross car currently 2009 Mazda RX8 R3.

Build is a plus 4" width, 13B Renesis. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: February 2, 2018, 12:33 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Make sure to first read all the rules. As I recall, the rules say that you need 2-4 drivers, and they all have to travel to the events in the car that's to be run, and carry everything with you - no support vehicles. This makes it nearly impossible in a Locost without a trailer, and even then...

I guess what I'm saying is that for me, it pushed it from "fun" to something not so much, and we haven't even discussed weather and where/how the top would stow.

Last edited by KB58 on February 2, 2018, 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 2, 2018, 12:55 pm 

NCLBNY wrote:
I am ready for the bashing on this!
Is 'bashing' some type of Canadian slang for 'enabling'? If it is, you've come to the right place. Heck, if I recall correctly, Jack McCornack has put over 100,000 miles (not km) on his Locost through all manner of weather. Although he might* not be your average Locoster either. Just look for threads in which people have build their own DIY doors/windows/tops to keep you 'mostly' dry.

Then again, checking One Lap off my bucket list is also one of the specific considerations for my (paused) build.

* Definitely is not.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 2, 2018, 2:15 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It's been done. Check out Team Iron Butt.

They had a tow along trailer and every event they said they needed more HP. They said 300 would just about do it but then went and put an LS motor instead in one in anticipation. I believe they decided a coupe was a much better way to do it and totally changed types of vehicles.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.