LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Roomiest cars ranked
PostPosted: May 28, 2018, 8:48 pm 

I thank all of you guys that responded. This could be a lengthy process to find each of these to sit in, unless there is a car show that attracts a variety of these cars. I haven't been to a Street Machine Nationals in a long time. Would that be perhaps be the best or what event would be better?

PostPosted: May 29, 2018, 8:21 am 

Hedonist, if you can get up to the NJMP event over the 4th of July then will be 30+ cars there, just about every make and model. It's all very subjective, I think it often related to what you drove as a kid, if your were taught to drive in a Buick Roadmaster your perspective will be different if it was an 850 mini. I am 6'3" 230 pounds, and have no problems in my book size car. But I have also owned/driven all sorts of small cars, from Midgets to Europas. It's what you get used to. One reason I drive a Locost rather then a Caterham is that if I don't like something I just get the welder out. I would be much less likely to make structural modification to a Cat.

But really get to NJMP and you will get to sit and get track laps in just about every possible combination. I am sure many owners including me will let you drive there cars.

Graham

PostPosted: May 29, 2018, 12:14 pm 

Only somewhat related but I thought of this thread when I saw this today. https://jalopnik.com/welcome-back-to-wo ... 1826383093 Some amusing pictures and illustrations. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 29, 2018, 9:16 pm 

FastG, that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for the information and your kind offer to drive your car. What size is the car you are bringing?

PostPosted: May 30, 2018, 8:14 am 

I have a book size Locost. Here are the details of the event.

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php? ... y-4-6-2018

Graham

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 7:26 am 
We are Slotus!

C10CoryM wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
I've driven a .... a Lotus Europa

How did you manage that? I'm 6', 190lbs, flexible and physically could not drive that car. Was too long ago for me to remember what interfered with what, but I was unable to drive it. Only other car was a MG Midget where the steering wheel was so large it put my knee in between 1st and 2nd gear.
How did I drive a Europa? Barefoot! And the getting in and out was quite a visual. The car owner compared my exit to watching a cat give birth to a moose. (While laughing his arse off!) Sadly, there are no pictures.

Seriously, it was tough to get into and out of. I was younger then and maybe a bit more flexy (maybe?). I recall putting both hands on the ground during the process. Once in there, I was snuggly, worked the pedals with my toes. Seems like headroom was OK, but the seat was narrow. The gearshift in that thing is about 3 inches tall, and there's a little leather pillow to set your elbow on. I loved that!

Chalk it up to "Where there's a will, there's a way." I don't know who the hell Will is, but I wanted to drive that Lotus!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 6, 2018, 4:13 pm 

Would anyone have an idea who on this site has built the largest chassis?

PostPosted: June 6, 2018, 4:52 pm 

I'll throw mine in for size.
It has a 103 inch wheelbase, front track is 60 inches, rear track is 61 inches, and it is 50 inches wide at the cockpit. I was 6'2" and about 300 lbs when I built mine and I fit just fine. Getting in and out with the top on was a bit difficult, and probably entertaining to watch, by the way I'm 73.

Larry O.

PostPosted: June 6, 2018, 5:51 pm 

Larry, that's a really nice one. Did you change any of the A arm dimensions? Did you give any thought to using a 302 or any LS engine?

PostPosted: June 6, 2018, 8:25 pm 

I used the Wishbone program to design the front suspension, so that is where all of my wishbone dimensions came from. I did think about a V8 but realized I'm no longer skilled enough to drive a car that could spin the tires at speed. I did make the tunnel big enough to fit a T350 auto trans, so just in case I get crazy I can fit almost any trans and engine that might fall into my lap. Feel free to ask any questions you have and I will answer to the best of my memory.

Larry O.