LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 2:21 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
I've been lurking and reading through build threads, every forum from start to finish (literally!), marveling at the independence of thought tolerated here (really!), and also marveling at the awesome work being done. Trouble is, I had a simple idea when I STARTED reading and NOW it's becoming a monster, invading my sleep, displacing other aspects of life that now seem trivial in respect.... simple tasks have become monumental as any item I see is carefully inspected for suitability in use in a car.... materials are examined, investigated, googled to death, then relegated to the nearest unfilled corner of my already cluttered mind for future reference.... existing projects are relegated to the "for sale" cemetery.... And I couldn't be happier. I may never FINISH my idea to my satisfaction, but I can't say it's because I couldn't find information on it!

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 4:07 pm 

Raccoonman wrote:
... it's becoming a monster, invading my sleep, displacing other aspects of life that now seem trivial in respect..

Sounds about right. 8)

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 5:53 pm 

Ditto Keith.

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 10:14 pm 

Raccoonman wrote:
...I had a simple idea when I STARTED reading and NOW it's becoming a monster, invading my sleep, displacing other aspects of life that now seem trivial in respect.... simple tasks have become monumental as any item I see is carefully inspected for suitability in use in a car.... materials are examined, investigated, googled to death, then relegated to the nearest unfilled corner of my already cluttered mind for future reference....

I don't understand. Is this a problem for you? Sounds normal to me! Embrace the feeling and let it take you to new and exciting places. It is all about the journey.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 11:19 pm 

Could you be suffering from "Analysis Paralysis?"

Try breaking it down into manageable chunks. I started to set specific goals by writing a simple specification document about what I wanted my build to be like. One of the things I wanted was a single, affordable, North American donor. That simple act made a huge difference. There were very few cars that could qualify, and that simplified many other things.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 2:05 am 

Like Lonnie says, you have to break the build plan down into manageable chunks. It's like the question of how to eat an elephant...just one bite at a time.

The advice I got was to start with a plan for your rear axle, and design the rest of the build from there. The reason is because the rear axle will determine the width of the car, which determines the wheelbase of the car (within reason, anyway). From there, you can plan a frame to work with whatever front a-arms & uprights you want to use, so as to get a similar track width to your rear axle. Plus, the wheel bolt pattern for your rear axle will determine your choices of front uprights.

Doing it this way will allow you to build your design, each main component based on what you've already decided on. It's a logical progression, it keeps the build simpler & more predictable, and it allows you to set realistic goals and timelines as the build progresses.

For example, I started with a Mustang II/late Pinto rear axle. That dictated that I use Mustang II front uprights & brakes, which gave me precise measurements for my front a-arms, which allowed me to design my exact front suspension, which allowed me to select coilover shocks for the four corners, etc. etc. It also helped me to select my basic frame design, which gave me the dimensions of the engine bay, which allowed me to select the engine & trans I wanted, and so on.

If you go with a one-donor build you'll find you have lots of parts you can use...and likely lots you can't. I didn't - lots of fun shopping ensued in wrecking yards & online for the precise components that would fit my vision exactly. This does cost more (probably an extra 30%-40% overall, compared to a single-donor build), but you end up with a car with NO compromises. Considering I've been at this build for over 10 years (VERY part time), the small extra costs have been absorbed painlessly over time. There's not a single part of the car I don't love, or would change, at this point. I know if I'd built from a single donor I'd never have been satisfied, as I'd have been forced to use parts I really didn't like because I had them "in stock" from the donor.

Just some thoughts for you to ponder...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 8:18 am 

zetec7 wrote:
The advice I got was to start with a plan for your rear axle, and design the rest of the build from there. The reason is because the rear axle will determine the width of the car, which determines the wheelbase of the car (within reason, anyway). From there, you can plan a frame to work with whatever front a-arms & uprights you want to use, so as to get a similar track width to your rear axle. Plus, the wheel bolt pattern for your rear axle will determine your choices of front uprights.

Good advice. That's the way I did it :cheers:
Lonnie-S wrote:
One of the things I wanted was a single, affordable, North American donor. That simple act made a huge difference.

More good advice, works in my case as wrecking yards are miles away. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 9:08 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Thanks! I have my donor car's parts, all salvaged from an XJ6. Of course, the sheer size and weight of THAT particular set of parts removes the LOW part of the weight and size of the finished car by a significant factor. I'm pack-ratting ideas from every thread, every build I can, and cross referencing them.

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 9:55 am 

Raccoonman wrote:
I'm pack-ratting ideas from every thread, every build I can, and cross referencing them.

Might be a good Idea to jot these ideas down in a diary. It could help when the time comes time to use them.

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 10:17 am 

ngpmike wrote:
Raccoonman wrote:
I'm pack-ratting ideas from every thread, every build I can, and cross referencing them.

Might be a good Idea to jot these ideas down in a diary. It could help when the time comes time to use them.

Good idea. Don't underestimate the benefit of setting up a "Locost Ideas" bookmark folder in your browser with the pages that interest you. You can even have sub-folders with titles of "suspension", "brakes", "body", etc That's what I did.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 3:58 pm 

Me too. I currently have something like 650 bookmarks dedicated to Locost stuff... :roll:

http://zetec7.webs.com/