LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 26, 2018, 1:11 am 

Wondering if anyone has done this? My mirrors aren't great, and think a 170° camera may work well. I'm not looking to see at a distance really, just to make sure my large blind spots are clear. I often have a tote strapped to the back (unless it falls off...... *ahem*), so even with shoulder checks am blind.

For reference, the image is my 140° dashcam bolted to the rollbar. If I were to turn that around it wouldn't be good enough but would be close. I think you can get 170° cameras which should be good. I think getting a display that is visible in the sun, and just general quality are going to be my issues.

Cheers.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 26, 2018, 8:51 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I used one on the bread truck. There is something about it on each page.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7328

I plan to use one on the reverse trike. I bought a 7 inch monitor to go in it but that could change by the time I get around to it.

I suggest hard wiring versus antenna, using a license plate type kit with a visor mount monitor that you can fit into the dash. You can remove the tag frame to put the camera elsewhere.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 26, 2018, 1:56 pm 

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking wired was the way to go. Looks like Auto Vox has a nice little unit, but the screen is only 4.3" which is probably a bit small. So now I've gone down the rabbit hole and am thinking maybe I should just get a tablet, or touchscreen monitor for the dash so I can run SoloStorm (autoX app) and Torque as well. :BH:

PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 5:46 am 

I'd make sure the display was visible in bright daylight and was resistant to dew or rain. Most Locost owners probably don't care about visibility in subzero weather, so you wouldn't have to worry about that...

My laptop is pretty much useless outdoors, and so is my cellphone. My car stereo display doesn't come on in freezing weather.

PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 11:45 pm 

Yeah. I've seen some tablets that are stupid bright in the sun, and can recess it in the dash a bit if needed.

Trying to find someone who knows this stuff rather than have to learn it myself. I'm too lazy to be a two-week-expert now :þ

Cheers.

PostPosted: September 6, 2018, 9:17 am 

TRX wrote:
I'd make sure the display was visible in bright daylight and was resistant to dew or rain. Most Locost owners probably don't care about visibility in subzero weather, so you wouldn't have to worry about that...

My laptop is pretty much useless outdoors, and so is my cellphone. My car stereo display doesn't come on in freezing weather.

And some displays that are bright enough to see in daylight/sunlight, turn totally dark when viewed thru polarized sunglasses. Just sayin' do your homework.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 6, 2018, 11:23 am 

rx7locost wrote:
TRX wrote:

And some displays that are bright enough to see in daylight/sunlight, turn totally dark when viewed thru polarized sunglasses. Just sayin' do your homework.

Good point. Hadn't considered that . Thanks.

PostPosted: December 23, 2018, 4:45 am 

I do some FPV multirotor stuff. I would definitely hard wire. And there are very few HD (digital) transmission options and they are expensive. Not that you need HD, but I'm getting sick of the old analog stuff for FPV (mini rant over). There are some nice little cameras in the FPV world, try RunCam. 150-170 degrees should be good.

I think an LCD type screen might have problems with polarized glasses, but OLED should not. But I'm not sure how to hook up a camera to a "phone" or tablet, there's probably some USB adapter. I wanted to do something like this on my motorcycle since the mirrors reflect mostly my elbows. Brightness would be a problem on a motorcycle.

Integrating gauges into the screen would be cool too.

PostPosted: December 23, 2018, 3:09 pm 

I was recently at the LA Auto Show and saw several cars on display with this system. They showed a traditional rear view mirror housing a full screen monitor and about a 170 degree image. They claimed that it "bright daylight" visible with auto dimming. My question is would this be federally sanctioned or state by state.