LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions please
PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 11:28 am 

I'm coming close to the end of my development of my vision of a Cheetah Roadster. I built a frame that accepts C4 Corvette suspension and uses a SBC engine with a Richmond 4 speed. It took me several attempts at building the frame to get everything packaged and provide good cockpit and foot box space. The plug that I created for the body is currently at a fiberglass company to have molds made. I expect to have the first body in Oct.

I'm a hobbyist. I'm not an engineer or an expert at anything. Building a car is my fun and therapy. I've had a few people ask me about getting a body and frame so that they can build their own. The body part is easy as I just have to order one from the fiberglass company. The frame is a different matter. Before I say yes to providing a frame or even a drawing for it I would like some opinions and input on the one that I've built. Please let me know if you see any issues or areas that you think need to be addressed. I'm thick skinned so don't be afraid to be honest.

The frame gets skinned with aluminum. It comes to a V at the front. The radiator mounts in front of the V. Air passes through the radiator and along the side of the aluminum panels. The engine compartment is sealed so that air doesn't get into it. There will be ducting for the Carb.

Post subject: Re: Opinions please
PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 12:28 pm 

If the only air entering the engine bay is exiting through the exhaust, then it seems to me that you have effectively equipped your car with an oven.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 3:23 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
... you have effectively equipped your car with an oven.

I do see provisions for air exhaust vents in the hood. Hopefully, they're not too close to the high pressure area in front of the wind screen. There is also room on the sides of the front fenders for more vents. You may want to let the air in, but make sure that it has a way to get out!

One problem or, hopefully, a non-problem, is that there are no provisions for doors. I'm afraid some of our more anal state inspectors may look at that and say "No doors? Must be a race car (or in Texas, a dune buggy). Sorry it cannot be licensed for street use"!

Lotus 7 drivers used to get something like this from race scrutineers, so they installed side curtains and called them doors.

PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 4:14 pm 

Thank you for your thoughts.

I do have the vents in the hood to let air escape and there are openings in the aluminum side skins that will let air escape from the engine compartment. What I'm doing is directing the air passing through the radiator down the sides of the frame so that it doesn't build up in the engine compartment. I've done this with other cars that I've built with good results. I've never had an issue with engine bay heat. I should have been more precise in my original description. (I put 38,000 miles on one of my cars before I sold it.)

I've built my last few cars with out doors. I never had a problem registering them. That's not saying there are States that it might be a problem. I'm hoping that because it's an open top car that it wouldn't be a problem. The original Cheetah had half doors. This can be duplicated with my body. I can cut the door out of the body and use the cut out piece. I would make a piece that would glass into the piece that was cut out and it would become the door. Then I would make another that would mate the body to the frame and seal the opening at the rear tire. I personally don't want a door but it wouldn't be difficult to make them.

PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 4:43 pm 

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I don't see anything egregious in that frame pic.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 5:50 pm 

All in all, you have produced a VERY worthwhile build! Congratulations! :cheers:

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 5:05 pm 
Toyotaphobe

While you might have done it in the past without doors, things they be a changing.

Texas is a prime case. Wild wide open Texas has shut it's doors. I've been working with a couple of the groups trying to change that law and I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. We have found out a lot of the opposition comes from the car dealers association.

For most of us it's why bother building something we can't drive.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 5:43 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It looks like some tubes could be arranged better in front but it is hard to see from this angle.
I'd better support the rear lcas with full gussets to keep from bending the vertical tube if someone adds pwr and slicks.
Also looks like it could use some tubes in the tunnel and I'm not sure what the stubs are at the drivers neck area.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 27, 2018, 10:34 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
It looks like some tubes could be arranged better in front but it is hard to see from this angle.
I'd better support the rear lcas with full gussets to keep from bending the vertical tube if someone adds pwr and slicks.
Also looks like it could use some tubes in the tunnel and I'm not sure what the stubs are at the drivers neck area.

Thank you very much for your input. I see what your talking about in all aspects. I will add gussets and tubing as suggested. The "stubs" are tabs for the back of the seat to bolt to. The fiberglass tub has the rear bulkhead incorporated into it. The seat bolt will go through the fiberglass and bolt to the tab.