LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stalker BMW build
PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 10:14 am 
We are Slotus!

Seems like Peter Egan wrote a story about his first Lotus 7. There was something about going on a date, stopping the car at the destination or back at the girl's house or somewhere, reaching across the car for the parking brake (which apparently was on the passenger side in a LHD version of the 7) and getting slapped by the girl. She had apparently totally mis-read his intentions! At least that was HIS version... :twisted:

I never had that problem in the '60 GMC. But then, I was 5 at the time... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 10:57 am 

What about an electric e-brake as an alternative? I don't know about the regulations in particular states, but they are used in big trucks. I'm pretty sure you can get ones for passenger cars. Most just hold the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines high enough to immobilize the vehicle.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 12:23 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
What about an electric e-brake as an alternative? I don't know about the regulations in particular states, but they are used in big trucks. I'm pretty sure you can get ones for passenger cars. Most just hold the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines high enough to immobilize the vehicle.

Cheers,

Electromechanical (cable puller) is do-able but heavy. An electric solenoid in the hydraulic circuit (line lock) is technically not legal in MI. Two systems must be separate so that any failure of one does not disable the other. A blown rear hose would render the hydraulic option non functional. I don't doubt police inspection officers have approved them in MI but I sort of understand the reasoning behind the regulation and want to be clean on it. Both a friend and I have used a parking brake during hydraulic failures and we were both very glad to have it.

Alex

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 12:26 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Seems like Peter Egan wrote a story about his first Lotus 7. There was something about going on a date, stopping the car at the destination or back at the girl's house or somewhere, reaching across the car for the parking brake (which apparently was on the passenger side in a LHD version of the 7) and getting slapped by the girl. She had apparently totally mis-read his intentions! At least that was HIS version... :twisted:

I never had that problem in the '60 GMC. But then, I was 5 at the time... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

:lol: The second half of this famous movie quote would be appropriate: "I mean, they make scary movies that start out like that...."

Alex

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 12:43 pm 

Park brake or emergency brake, same same?

On a manual transmission vehicle you set the park brake to keep the vehicle from rolling, an automatic transmission has a parking pawl that does the same job.

An emergency brake or e-brake is an alternative braking system using mechanical means (usually levers and cables) to apply the brakes in the event of a hydraulic brake system failure on a moving vehicle.

An electric e-brake (or line lock) will lock hydraulic pressure (press the brake pedal down and activate the line lock) within the OEM brake system, like a parking brake, to prevent the vehicle from rolling when parked. I don't believe it is intended to act as an emergency type brake to stop a moving vehicle in the event of a hydraulic brake failure.

Tomato or tamato? :D

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 3:33 pm 

There is also this electrically activated linear actuator to set/release a parking brake. Pricey but "handleless."
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/E-Stopp- ... 65217.html

I opted for a left-side handle mount to keep the console clean. There is no left thigh interference.
Attachment:
P5054528-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 5:44 pm 

seattletom wrote:
There is also this electrically activated linear actuator to set/release a parking brake. Pricey but "handleless."
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/E-Stopp- ... 65217.html

I opted for a left-side handle mount to keep the console clean. There is no left thigh interference.
Attachment:
P5054528-1.jpg

That's a nice execution! For some reason I couldn't find anywhere forward of my seats that didn't foul my legs in some way but that looks great.

Alex

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 6:45 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

On the single seat reverse trike, I fit an older F150 ebrake assembly. Tucks out of the way, uses 3 bolts, and the cable goes the right way.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 7:05 pm 

I can't see why someone with the skills and imagination to build a Locost, couldn't figure a way to reposition a floor mounted handbrake to horizontal under the dash. It doesn't require pulleys to rout the cable. Simple brakeline tubing works fine to make a cable make a turn. This works just fine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 7:55 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I can't see why someone with the skills and imagination to build a Locost, couldn't figure a way to reposition a floor mounted handbrake to horizontal under the dash. It doesn't require pulleys to rout the cable. Simple brakeline tubing works fine to make a cable make a turn. This works just fine.

Routing isn't the problem, my stupid long chicken legs are the problem! I need every inch of space under the dash. Pass side is bad too since I took a fair amount of leg room for the dry sump tank, I think a taller passenger will be a bit folded up.

Alex

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 1:03 pm 

MiataV8, do you have a higher resolution version of that Lotus data sheet anywhere? I haven't seen it before, and it looks to have a lot of information I haven't seen anywhere else. But I can't quite make much of it out...

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 2:52 pm 

TRX wrote:
MiataV8, do you have a higher resolution version of that Lotus data sheet anywhere?

I think that would be great to print out and put on the shop wall!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 4:28 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Tweaked. This should print 16x20 pretty well. You'll have to click on it to open in another window, then click it again to open up to full size.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 20, 2019, 8:43 pm 

Filled up my second time lapse video card. 1min intervals. I probably turn it on 50% of the time lately with Lisa's car now parked under the camera for the winter. Anything over about 3hrs time window I'll get it started. With all that fudge factor thrown in I think this tallies about 200 hrs.

A lot happened on the car, though!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYU4Br9vtww[/youtube]

Current projects are not photogenic. Hood poppers took 4 full hours today.

Alex

PostPosted: March 17, 2019, 7:35 am 

Been working steadily but literally nothing to take a picture of. Just a lot of details and aluminum panel pieces.

After a few months of little stuff it's clear it's moving along, though! I took these the day the wheels showed up. I went with my least likely option, 16x9 Advanti Storm S1's with Toyo R888's. This combo was on my short list with about 5 other options but then I saw that Tirerack had the wheels at 58% off. 14lb 9" wide wheels for $95. The suspension is pulled up to ride height.

I could have set it down when the wheels showed up but that would have been 30 min of work for no real reason, soon enough!

Lots more details ongoing. Idle air circuit, brake, fuel and oil plumbing, still too many to list, really.

Alex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next