LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The GWTFFM
PostPosted: October 2, 2018, 8:37 am 
We are Slotus!

300D50 wrote:
something of a franken-wankel in the next few months.
And who doesn't love a good franken-wankel every now and then!?!?!? :rofl:

PostPosted: October 2, 2018, 9:35 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
And who doesn't love a good franken-wankel every now and then!?!?!? :rofl:

:lol: Bwahahahah, my guess is people who still have the ceremonial stick stuck. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 17, 2018, 11:48 pm 

The engine harness came in a week or so ago, the underhood body harness came in earlier today, and everything plugs together peachy.
Still need to sacrifice an OBD2 extension cable or get a connector from the junkyard, then I can start in on poking at the spare ECU with mazdaEdit.
If I can't get the immobilizer stuff disabled, then I'll have to get a keyless entry unit and some other bits to trick it into behaving.

I also need to machine a 6mm thick spacer to use the RX-8 pulley hub on the RX-7 eccentric shaft.

The trigger plate lines up with the ESPS on the front cover perfectly fine, but it seems the 8's had a shorter nose on the shaft.
Without a spacer, I won't ever get a full clampdown on the hub, the e-shaft will end up floating, needle bearings will get destroyed, and I'll have big money pit problems.

Plugging the new holes in the front cover is also on the agenda, as well as a redo of the dry sump plate to suite the new cover.

PostPosted: November 15, 2018, 12:54 pm 

Forgot to cross-post this last month... Should have landed Oct 30th :oops:
Quote:
I accidentally grabbed way more RX-8 guts than I should have when eBay had their 10% coupon last week. :oops:
And then I went and got some stuff off Amazon. :roll:
And then I bought socks. :lol:
There are something like 14 packages showing up by next Tuesday.

Got a steering column with the Advanced Keyless lock cylinder setup, a bunch of immobilizer/key/keyless module stuff to make the ECU happy, a throttlebody, accelerator pedal, 2" sch40 stainless weld elbows, a divided T4 flange gasket, a set of fuel injectors, and some other stuff I'm likely forgetting.

There's been some progress on the front cover modifications as well, but I need to collect and process those photos before I can plop them up.

PostPosted: November 15, 2018, 12:54 pm 

So, yet more harness stuff, more sensors, a cluster, some keyless entry antennas, a few more programming tools, and a whole load of other nonsense.

I'm reaching critical mass of parts. Something has to happen soon.

PostPosted: November 16, 2018, 8:00 am 
We are Slotus!

300D50 wrote:
*SNIP* a cluster, *SNIP*
Yep, that's kinda what it sounds like... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD "You Should See MY Cluster" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 2:00 am 

Oh, yes, it is an entire cluster! :mrgreen:

Missed another photo opportunity...

The rest of the car harness stuff came in today, and I had it strewn across the floor to check things out.

I've learned from my previous mistakes, this is all staying together, loomed up factory, till I go to install it all in a vehicle. No pre-strip of lighting, hvac, etc. I'll even keep the ABS stuff, because it generetes the VSS signals.

The airbag wiring will be stripped at install time though.

PostPosted: January 15, 2019, 4:23 pm 

Not much changed, no real progress beyond what's already been made.

I found a good deal on some 18.25x18.25" square sheets of 0.375" aluminum, and also picked up a 18"x18" 0.75" sheet.

That's going towards redoing the dry sump as a CNC machined setup with integral scavenge pump mount instead of the plate-and-tube-mess I was going to make before.
Should give me room for the A/C compressor to squeeze in above the scavenge pump.
The plate needs to be reworked to accommodate the 13b-MSP front cover anyways, so that's the excuse I'm using.

An integrated jackshaft brace and trans mount will end up rounding things out

Then it's on to modifying the existing 13B-DEI intake to add in 2 extra injectors and the 6th port actuator assembly from the 13B-MSP, or modifying a 13B-MSP intake to fit the 13B-DEI keg.

I'm actually leaning towards the latter down the road, but the former would be much quicker.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: January 23, 2019, 3:11 pm 

All yesterday afternoon and into the night was a measurement fun-fest.
Measuring arm on a sheet of 3/4" aluminum, on a GMC Sierra alloy rim, leveled with fabric scraps.
Engine hanging limp on the stand, with just it's own weight and gravity keeping it from rolling around.

Not the most stable reverse engineering setup, and it was sketchy as all getout straddling everything, but I now have all the point cloud data I need to do the dry sump pan.

I also have the exhaust port locations, center iron engine mount stud/hole locations, and a few other miscellaneous bits of info that I needed to gather up.

I'm getting closer to admitting that I need to machine my own pump stages in order to get the scavenge pump I have to fit the way I want it to.
Once I nail down the pump placement, I can get the rest of the pan figured out and start cutting chips.

PostPosted: January 23, 2019, 3:58 pm 

A few photos from July, when I first swapped front covers.

Had to mill down this ear to get things to fit on the engine stand.
I think it's there for positioning/stopping the factory cooler line fitting from spinning, and to locate the A/C compressor.
It's been a while since I've looked at it on a car.

And now one from October.
The 13B-MSP (RX-8) front hub and pulley fit, and the belts line up.
The shaft position sensor lines up as well.

The 13B-MSP hub needs a spacer washer behind the main bolt to work with the older 13B-DEI e-shaft, since the shaft nose is few mm longer on the 13B-DEI.
Thinking I'll make it a solid slug of aluminum, skim the hub ID, and slip fit it in with some 608 retaining compound.
Then use the 13B-DEI bolt retainer as well for added peace of mind.

I'll be dumping more photos as I find them. I hadn't uploaded nearly as many as I thought I did...

PostPosted: February 7, 2019, 2:31 am 

Quite a bit of CAD going on this week, in hopes of getting the dry sump system all fleshed out and ready to machine.
Picture quality is horrendous because I was doing the good old "Send a buddy photos of the computer screen from the phone while working on it.", and didn't actually use screen capture/printscreen on the laptop.

This was the top plate of the sump after the feed line for the factory oil pump in the engine keg was laid out.
Oil flows in at the bottom left side, and is pulled through to what used to be the oil pickup tube flange.

A very rough quick draw of the scavenge pickup channels. They're represented by the series of blocky green rectangles.
The view as depicted is looking up at the bottom of the engine from the back of the vehicle.
Think rolling under it on a creeper with the drivers side and transmission to your right.
The pickup channels will have their slits at the bottom "L" feet so they catch oil when under acceleration.

One scavenge channel "done enough" for the time being. One more to go, and some cleanup work
This is a top-down view looking "into" the lower plate.
The main feed channel will have one continuous o-ring groove milled into the divider wall, and get some 518 anaerobic sealer when the time comes.

Some mockups of the scavenge pump mounting to the plate stack.

The plan is to bolt the pump rigid to the sump plate, and seal it with o-rings.
On that note, I may end up using trimmed down VTEC gaskets to seal the pump down, since they have catch screens already molded in and are cheap-ish.
To do the bolt-on will require either machining the pump housings flat and removing the lower ftting protrusion, or making new housings.

I snapped up another three stage Weaver pump off eBay yesterday to be the test subject for modifications. It's got an internally routed single scavenge outlet, instead of the twin outlets on my existing pump. It also came with a pulley and hub as an added bonus.
I'm still on the fence as far as what to do with the third stage pressure section on these pumps. I could use it as circulation/cooler flow pump, cut it off and make it a scavenge only pump, or maybe even machine a lip seal carrier and use it as a transmission spray-oiler pump.

I also snagged a used A/C compressor and line set so I can check fit on the dry sump pump and start in on designing the tensioner bracket to loop the serpentine belt around it.

Since I'm still using the factory chain driven oil pump for pressure, I can get away with running the scavenge pump off the A/C serpentine belt.

A/C compressor has to still fit, because I like creature comforts, and it will end up being part of the charge cooling system as well.

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 2:23 am 

That day came. One super expensive pump is now lighter and still not complete.

Still need to hit it with the shell mill for that mirror smooth finish, get the threads in the suction ports milled out of the way, and finalize the threaded mounting hole locations.

I also need to take 0.125 or so off the endcap section and plug some passages, or just bite the bullet and machine a new one that doesn't have pressure bypass stuff in the first place.

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 8:39 am 

Realizing you're not done yet, that is going to be quite an accomplishment when finished.

I looked for a ready-made dry sump system for my donor engine, but none were available. Doing what you're doing was beyond my skill set. It would have been so great to lower my engine/transmission in the car 2 inches or so, both to get rid of the deep sump, and lower the CG significantly without a super low ride height.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 5, 2019, 10:04 pm 

A quick and simple dry sump setup can be made with a flat plate and some fittings, one of our fellow members made a darn good one and has photos.
I'm at the age my memory is starting to buffer overflow, so I can't remember who... :oops:

I'm just a stubborn young git with an engineering and machinist background, so every problem gets custom parts. :mrgreen:

Vice plopped back on, indicated in to 0.0006" along the X.

Did a shell mill pass on the pump (soft jaws are in there for a different project), now to zap the holes to mount this hunk of pain to the sump plate.

PostPosted: September 9, 2019, 3:01 am 

Saturday was the pail sale at the best of the two local pick-and-pull auto yards, so I got some goodies to play with.

As for how that relates to this unholy and involuntary collection of parts and pipe dreams,
I managed to extract a Pierburg CWA200 waterpump from a BMW 328xi.

It's a little 200 watt electric pump with a rather simple control interface

I've also found a source for an air conditioning compressor that runs off of 12V DC with built in control, and should suit cooling needs for the car if/when the time comes.
I haven't ordered it in yet, because it's rather expensive and I don't see it as main priority.

Altogether, this means I'm down to two required things running off the front pulley of the engine; the alternator and the dry sump pump.

I've got a 2008 Audi Q7 190A alternator on the way from fleabay, should be here by middle of next week.

Should be relatively compact, and it's liquid cooled so no worry about road glop destroying it.

It's going to live either at the top of the engine where the original fits, or on the side where the A/C would bolt in normally. Depends how much clearance I have with the intake manifold, and what makes more sense packaging wise.

The added bonus of switching to one pulley instead of two frees up more longitudinal space at the front of the engine, which I dearly need to meet my track width specifications...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next