LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
PostPosted: November 24, 2018, 2:31 am 

Really nice work - I envy your patience! I can't stand any type of body/glass/composite work. Yours is coming along!

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 8:35 am 

RandyBMC wrote:
Really nice work - I envy your patience! I can't stand any type of body/glass/composite work. Yours is coming along!

Thanks Randy, I actually do things 2 and 3 times to get it right, I'd called persistance.. patience, I save all that for EWR (Newark liberty)

Ok here's the update, I'm painting right now, so posting between coats, Tack coat is ON!.. waiting for it to flash.

So Wifey wanted a new security light above the garage. My car project occupies the garage, and she parks outside. So anything I can do to help her get on her way in the cold and dark is due payment for hogging the garage. Thinking, the new led security light was going to be a quick job was a poor assumption. I Found a bunch of rot in the sheathing and header, so that was a 3 day project I could have been painting.

The balance of December I found my self at a soil/turf seminar in toronto, home sick, home with sick kids, home with not sick kids on snow days, and Christmas and a visit with family.. all good times, really enjoying the kids at this age, there 3 and 5 and best buds. Little car and shop time.

Of the things that were achieved, exhaust 2.0 is done with the catalyst and muffler bearings installed. Stainless bracket I made, warped during welding, a pronounced gap could not be reduced with fasteners installed, so it was removed, trimmed, pulse welded on the back side and some careful hammering. Sits flush now.

Made an extraction fan for the shop. It doubles as a security blind, sits in a wooden enclosure. I open a window at the front of the shop, and it does a great job of moving air through the shop.

... hold the thoughts, time for coat #2

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 8:38 pm 

Pics..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 8:45 pm 

More pics..

Did a quick video in lieu of a write up..

https://youtu.be/tQ_v-AYDykQ

Andrew

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 14, 2019, 12:34 am 

Could this really be the year it hits the road.

Excellent work as always.

I know if we had Winter here like you have and I was hogging the garage and making wifey park out in the snow I'd probably have to more than install a security light. :)

Ron

PostPosted: January 16, 2019, 9:17 pm 

sevenesqueron wrote:
Could this really be the year it hits the road.

Excellent work as always.

I know if we had Winter here like you have and I was hogging the garage and making wifey park out in the snow I'd probably have to more than install a security light. :)

Ron

Thanks Ron, and NO WAY.... I'm going to stick to my original planned completion date of fall 2017.. haha. I "heard" about the garage the other day... maybe that massive shop will happen sooner..

Managed to fill some dents and scratches in the side pods this week. Sprayed primer today to bury everything. The rivets will show through the paint slightly even though they are flush. The idea is that they are proud by .001-.003 so the skin doesn't dish when installed. Not worth the effort to get a glass like finish here.

No more alodine in my shop so, just a cleaning with phosphoric, solvent wipe and tack before primer. The directions say one medium coat, but runs will occur with my paint gun, so a light tack followed by a full wet coat works well. They say dont spray to full hide, however I do plan to block sand some areas prior to topcoat..

Also trying out a new solvent to clean paint equipment. I used to use acetone for everything, but this new formulation seem to make clean up a breeze, it's not gun wash but something the local chemical manufacturer makes for spray foam insulation companies for cleaning equipment . That and the ventilation mods to the shop have made painting much less of a pain.

Pics.

PostPosted: January 16, 2019, 9:40 pm 

Looking good ! :cheers:

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 8:54 am 
We are Slotus!

B85 wrote:
Looking good !
I totally agree and add, "Like always!"

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 1:27 pm 
Toyotaphobe

So what is this magic spray gun cleaner?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 1:31 pm 

Any guess as to how that header got so rotted out?

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 5:57 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Imho, the problem is the electrical box penetration of the barrier behind the vinyl, no caulk or tape at the penetration, and no drain holes in the vinyl below the header to slow the rot. I'd fix that with a new box deep enough to protrude through the vinyl, caulk or butyl tape the barrier sheet to the cup behind the vinyl, cut a filler board from pvc to fill the gap between the vinyl and the fixture flange and caulk that to the vinyl around the box, then use a foam gasket on the fixture flange. The screws clamp the board and gasket.

The vinyl blocks some water but the plastic sheet inside is critical. An easier alternative would be to use a new work flanged edge box the right depth, but this looks like a ceiling fixture box (about 1/2 inch deep) so probably not going to find a flanged one. Use mastic butyl tape around the edge of the existing box to the plastic barrier, then open up the hole in the vinyl so the vinyl is not clamped by the fixture when trying to seal the box. Trying to seal the barrier, the vinyl not so much, plus the vinyl moves with temp changes.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 6:29 pm 

.... I'll type the post in the air..a butt joint relying only on silicone was the ingress point...

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 7:46 pm 

Thanks fellas for the comments. 

Carguy123, looks like the SDS is not yet on the website.. the chemist said it was a alcohol propane with an ether molecule added on, I responded with a dumb look, he offered to draw it out, I should have taken the quick chemistry lesson.. now this is bothering me. It doesn't stink like MEK or flash off like acetone, but rather persists for a long time, making it a great cleaner. I'll get the details when I can, and study up on my chemistry basics!.

vroom and mv8. The old light was caulked in well and the wood behind it was solid, the ingress was the flashing butted up to the j strip, at least I think. Ether way, I should have posted here prior to doing the work. Thanks for the tips mv8. The new light is installed like you mentioned. 

I rented a 12 ft brake from hd and redid everything per the pic with backer rod and silicone taking extra effort to ensure water doesn't get in, and if it does, it drains where I want it.. a fun 3 day project!! I'll get a pic of the finished project when I'm back fro this trip.

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 8:33 pm 

airframefixer wrote:
.... I'll type the post in the air

LOL
Were you sitting in the right hand seat or the left hand seat when you drew that on your kneeboard?

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 18, 2019, 12:11 am 

Perry.. in the left seat, good eye..

Here's a few more pics of the muffler hanger, I realize I haven't posted a pic of it... yes muffler bearings! Also the next item on my shopping list.. stay away from the industrial storage catalogue!!..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next