LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 11:01 am 

carguy123 wrote:
They already have a twin turbo V6 464 hp/430 torques which is optimized for 6000ish rpm. If they were to tweak that for higher revs, as it sounds like in the video, it would probably have 500ish hp and would be an awesome engine.

I've talked with some GM people and begged them to make a baby vette with that engine and bring the weight in under 3000 lbs and size down to something smaller than the Camaro. The present Vette, while awesome looking, is just WAY too large. I've put down money on the last 2 versions and gone back and cancelled because it's just too damn big.

I agree with you that a smaller, lighter, simpler, American sports car is an actual market need, but it will always be a relatively low-volume vehicle. That appears to be the big issue with GM management - numbers. Costs are critical. It should be something young people (and old retired farts) can afford. The Solitce/Sky was a step in the right direction.

I'm not familiar with this new twin turbo V6. I know they have a killer Indy car engine. Is there any relationship between the two?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 3:49 pm 
Toyotaphobe

The engine has been around since 2014 I think, but in any case several years. I have no idea if it's related to Indy. I do know the LFX & LGX V6 is quite a bit overbuilt for being used in pedestrian cars and you can see it was designed to be a performance engine.

The unturbo'd model is the same engine that's used in almost every model they make which makes it very common and inexpensive. It makes 335 hp in the Camaro & Caddies.

I have 2 cars with that engine and love it

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 5:48 pm 

@carguy123

Hmmmmm, probably the same V6 we have in Mama'a Caddy CTS, which I like a whole lot.

The Chevrolet Indy V6 is a high-rev'ing (redline 10,500-12,200 depending on boost), twin-turbo for racing developed about 2012. It doesn't have the cylinder block infrastructure for street use, but you could use the design logic in a street version, suitably outfitted and detuned. It's probably not related, though.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 23, 2019, 7:31 pm 

Ha! Five C8 Corvettes photobomb a Kia Soul event in snowy San Diego County mountains.

This car review guy just got lucky. He was part of the PR efforts for the newest Kia Soul, and found himself smack-dab in the middle of a Corvette C8 road test session.

Yes, San Diego has mountains (we're not all beaches, you know) and periodically snow there too. Seeing GM and Ford tests of unreleased cars is not that uncommon here. They both run tests from their Arizona test facilities to the mountains, coast and deserts of Southern California with regularity.

Video here ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIk-Ys7Ohms

PostPosted: February 24, 2019, 2:31 am 

Meh, all I want to know is if they have manual trans available, did they shorten it up, and when will they be available from wrecking yards? :mrgreen: :chev:
Looks like the 'Vette is not even pretending to an "affordable sports car" anymore.

PostPosted: February 24, 2019, 11:26 am 

@RichardSIA

I don't see how they can avoid a manual gearbox. The C8.R night testing at Sebring definitely had a sequential gearbox. With the changes in rules for the GT and endurance series of races, I'm under the impression the race car must reflect a configuration of the street car.

Here's an interesting article in Road & Track about a patent application for a "clutch by wire" invention GM submitted. They feel this may be an arrangement specifically for the C8 with a manual transmission.

Article here ==> https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/c ... id-engine/

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 3, 2019, 6:07 pm 

There's tons of info starting to appear now on the C8, but it's still not "official" although folks in the automotive press seem to know a lot. You've likely seen photos, or videos, of Mary Bara riding around in one in New York City.

The official reveal will July 18, 2019 somewhere in Orange County California. If anyone gets a line on where in Orange County, please let me know.

There is an official teaser/trailer out. Just Google for it or look on YouTube. Here is one interesting screenshot from it. It's a cutaway of an engine for the C8. I'm assuming there is something of value and interest in it. I can make out some parts. Due to the camshaft placement, it's OHV. But, what's all that stuff behind the crankshaft pulley/balancer? Is this an existing Chevrolet engine or is it something special?
Attachment:
C8 Engine Cut-away.jpg

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 3, 2019, 7:13 pm 

Quote:
But, what's all that stuff behind the crankshaft pulley/balancer? Is this an existing Chevrolet engine or is it something special?

Twin oil pumps? Internal scavenge and pressure for a dry sump?

PostPosted: May 3, 2019, 11:19 pm 

@cs3tcr

That certainly seems plausible.

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 4, 2019, 8:04 am 

The ZO6 model, already has a dry sump system. The rumor is the starting price is $120,000+
Davew

PostPosted: May 4, 2019, 9:06 am 

davew wrote:
The ZO6 model, already has a dry sump system. The rumor is the starting price is $120,000+
Davew

A lot is still at the rumor level as far as price and equipment goes. I saw a figure in the $70-80K range for the base C8.

We're still a ways off from cars showing up at dealerships. The production end date for the C7 is sometime in June, I read. How long will it be before C8 production starts?

GM is hiring 400 new workers for C8 & Cadillac Blackwing V8 production in Kentucky, it's said. That's very interesting too.

Here's the rumors I've heard as to power plants. Each of the below is expected to be in the lineup:
1) Twin turbo V6;
2) Big (6.2L?) OHV V8;
3) Twin turbo Blackwing V8.

Initially, only one transmission will be available. It's rumored to be a 7-speed, dual clutch TREMEC.

Rumors subject to change without notice. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 4, 2019, 3:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

The TT V6 is an old rumor. They squashed that and said it was definitely a V8. I personally like the TT V6 idea

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 4, 2019, 5:29 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
The TT V6 is an old rumor. They squashed that and said it was definitely a V8. I personally like the TT V6 idea

The C8.R testing at Sebring was a V6 and turbocharged. It sure sounded like a manual transmission too. The new WEC/FIA rules for endurance racing (2020 Le Mans, etc.) will require that the engine and transmission be related to production units, that is of the same basic type and architecture.

So, if the actual C8.R ends up based on the one they're testing at Sebring, and it is a manual trans, there must be a V6 and a manual transmission in the production C8 family to be legal. I don't think Corvette Racing will want to give up on Le Mans. Also, this would put the C8.R head-to-head with the Ford GT (the supercar, not the Mustang).

This is all based on unofficial information, so I reserve the right to be completely wrong, and may well be so. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 29, 2019, 4:25 pm 

Just passed a new mid-engine Vette on ten mile road. Docked out in proving ground camo. No missing it with a longer ass-end. I only live about 5 or 6 miles from the GM Milford proving grounds, so we see a lot of pre-production SUV's but this is the first Vette. Could not tell by the sound when passing in the opposite direction, if it was a V-6 or V-8.
Davew

PostPosted: June 29, 2019, 7:44 pm 

@davew

Thanks for the update, Dave. So, we have some "eyes on the ground" out there in Michigan? Cool!

I noted the last C7 Corvette to be built was just auctioned off today for $2.7M. It was for charity. But, any way you slice it, that's a sh*tload of money for a new vehicle.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next