LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 11:47 am 
We are Slotus!

Tim-
One could say that working on the Locost is relaxing... All over, apparently...

:cheers:
Peace, Love and Cottonelle-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 12:03 pm 

I've also heard that Nomex fire suits have the same effect...

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 12:10 pm 
We are Slotus!

geek49203 wrote:
I've also heard that Nomex fire suits have the same effect...
Nope, not when I'm making a run at a hillclimb... Couldn't get clinched any tighter... :twisted:

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 12:23 pm 

I met Parnelli in the line for the men's room at Indy. Met EJ Viso in the line for the portajohn at Iowa. So yeah, maybe there is something to it?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 12:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

Heard a driver (forget who...Jordan Taylor?) interviewed at an endurance race who said the worst thing that your co-driver can tell you during a pitstop/driver change is "I left a little something in the seat for you." :ack:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 14, 2019, 3:07 am 

Do the words: 'fart' and 'spacesuit' come to mind...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcDzJmW6Qg

PostPosted: February 14, 2019, 7:49 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, MangPong!
LOVE Billy Connoly... The guy's hilarious!

What I was expecting, however, was this one:

JDK

PostPosted: February 14, 2019, 9:59 pm 

Very funny JD - not seen that before...

PostPosted: March 2, 2019, 8:17 am 
We are Slotus!

OK, where were we? Something about a car, maybe? Oh wait, it's coming back to me...

Working on the shocks took more time/money/parts than I had anticipated. That means we ran out of oil after filling 3 shocks... I did, however, order the right number of O-rings. So, the 2nd batch of Red Line "Suspension Fluid" (because we is In-TIRE-Lee too fancy to call it "shock oil"...) arrived from Pegasus Racing on Thursday and I oiled up the 4th shock that evening. Took me forever to get the air out of the shock. :BH: On the bright side, my vice won't need lubricatin' any time soon. Nor will the floor under it... Or the shirt I was wearing... :ack:

And then last night I put the thang back together and re-set the front camber. Today is "load up" day for an autocross tomorrow, so I gotta get some stuff done iffen I'm gonna make it. Maybe I better finish this cup of coffee and get out to the shop... Hmmm? :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "See Y'all Later" --
JDK

PostPosted: March 3, 2019, 10:45 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
...Today is "load up" day for an autocross tomorrow, so I gotta get some stuff done iffen I'm gonna make it. Maybe I better finish this cup of coffee and get out to the shop...
Hey, JD, that was Saturday, today is Sunday. So What happened? Did you finish that cup of coffee? Did the Slotus make it to the track? Did anything break? Team Slotus' fans need to know. :?:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 3, 2019, 11:01 pm 

Yeah, what Tom said.

PostPosted: March 4, 2019, 10:54 am 

And don't tell us that everything worked perfectly. There's no fun in that. Unless, say, you decided that fwd is the way to go fast.

Bill

PostPosted: March 4, 2019, 11:25 am 
We are Slotus!

seattletom wrote:
Team Slotus' fans need to know. :?:
benny_toe wrote:
Yeah, what Tom said.
Ahh, the clamor of my fans, how I love it! All two and both of you! :mrgreen:
Before I get into the weekend report, I probably should back up a bit. Did I tell y'all that we bought an RV several months ago? It was a "fixer upper" to some extent, but I worked on things and had things worked on and finally, TWWTFM and I did an "experiment" where we spent the night in it as though we were camping out. RV was parked beside the house, but we pretended. That went well so we planned a "stage two" trip. We had planned to tow the DogA$$Slotus to the track on Saturday, spend the night and race on Sunday. However, the track was hosting a Saturday evening event, so we couldn't park on the level pavement or plug into the electric service and it looked like rain, so we didn't quite do that.

What I did was get up Sunday morning and tow the trailer to the track with the RV. It did just fine, no problems other than me getting used to driving the RV itself and having such a long "train" behind me. It's a 28 ft RV and then the enclosed trailer that's probably around 20 more. Looks like a string of boxcars in the mirror... :shock:
Attachment:
03 03 19 Mobile HQ and Sandwich Shop.jpg

The race itself went kind of OK. Nothing broke (well, nothing big), fell off (almost), or caught fire (dodged that one entirely) so it was a good day. Made 4 runs before lunch and 4 after, put the car back on the trailer under its own power. OK, only sort of... I installed a winch in the trailer a couple of weeks ago and use that for loading/unloading now. I highly recommend it, especially if you're loading alone without a spotter/helper. I'll have to take a video of that operation, just to show off. :mrgreen:

When I re-installed the shocks, I was kinda short on time. (Read that as: "Spent too much time playing with the grand-kids on Friday/Saturday." I'm not sorry. :mrgreen: ) So I didn't put the car on the scales, just set the ride heights to what I thought would be a good starting point and away we went. What I discovered was that the rear was too low and allowed the tires to hit the fenders in the back. They hit hard enough to almost rip off the C-channel attached to the rear part that the front part nests in. Made a helluba racket... :ack: Also popped a rivet on the passenger side body panel at the rear.

I took the rear clip off entirely, which helped, but I didn't discover the missing rivet until first run that afternoon. Using "The Handyman's Secret Weapon" (Duct tape) I braced up the rear side panel as best I could. Still had problems with clearance, so I raised the ride up about half an inch. The last thing I wanted to do was totally rip off a fender and/or ruin a tire. (Especially that last... Them big ol' tahrs is EX-spend-sive!)

OK that was the drama... I also found I have much better grip in the rear. That's a good thing. (OK, somebody make an "A$$ Grabbing joke... We'll wait...) The re-worked shocks and the rebuild of the A-Arms and their mounts seems to be paying off. I'm still kinda far off the pace of the really fast bunch, but improving. I blame the car for half of that "slowness" and the driver for the other half. We'll get there... From first run to last I cut off about 4 seconds (62.xx down to 58.xx) even with all the fiddling about with tire clearance and such.

Engine ran just fine. Plenty of power, lots of good V8 noise, pulls strong even in third gear. Nothing caught fire and no giblets were expelled from the crank case. (Ya gotta have standards... )

Oh, and during lunch, me and Earl made and ate our sammiches at the table in the RV, sitting on the cushioned benches and drinking cold drinks out of the fridge. After the event was all done, I loaded up (with the winch!) and drove that train home. Backed it all in beside the house and didn't hit the front steps or TWWTFM in the process. It was a good day overall. Life is good!

Peace, Love and "Tire Clearance" --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 4, 2019, 11:32 am 
We are Slotus!

BBlue wrote:
And don't tell us that everything worked perfectly. There's no fun in that. Unless, say, you decided that fwd is the way to go fast.
Hi Bill! Wow, my fan count is up to THREE! Oh, the glory...

But seriously (sort of, at least) it's good to hear from you! And as you can read above, no, everything did not work perfectly. Close, but no banana... (Oooh! Have to add "bananas" to the stuff I take along in the RV!)

If everything did work perfectly AND I was really, really fast, I think that might make for a fun day. I don't actually know that, but I'm working on it. I'll get back to you... :mrgreen:

FWD??? No, I have not suffered any head injuries lately.

Peace, Love and Bananas-
JDK

PostPosted: March 4, 2019, 12:55 pm 

Yo... Good to see that guy back on the tarmac - looks very smug sitting in front of its new home.
Any chance of photos of the new suspension tweaks, please... When you've finished with the grand-kids, of course...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282 ... 316  Next