LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 4, 2019, 1:30 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi MangPong-
Uhhh... Suspension tweaks... Pictures...
I don't think I could show ya much. I re-made some of the br@ckets where lower control arms mount to the uprights so as to make better alignment between F and R bra@ckets to eliminate possible binds and ground off an OEM "bump" on the upright that was also potential binding point.

The work on the shocks was an "oil change" and cleaning as well as replacing some O-rings in the remote reservoirs. Not picture worthy and entirely too messy to be handling a cell phone/camera.

So, sorry Bro, I don't really have anything picture-wise to show you from the recent work. But I did just get this from the Dixie Region Facebook page, I kinda like it:
Attachment:
03 03 19 Dixie AX Cropped.jpg
I mean, it's not as cool as a shot of one of the grand kids, but it'll do!

:cheers:
JD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 4, 2019, 6:09 pm 

Hey JD!

Congrats for a successful week-end. Great photos too. Winning probably wouldn't add all that much to the enjoyment. Just a guess, I don't know first hand. I've raced motorcycles and sailboats and never placed first in either (came close a couple of times) and always had a great time.

A bad day racing is still so far ahead of the best day at work it isn't even measureable.

Cheers!

PostPosted: March 4, 2019, 7:20 pm 

JD, thanks for the update and congrats on a "nothing broke" weekend. And now we know "the rest of the story," RV and all. Team Slotus's vehicle entourage is certainly growing!

And great action shot of the Slotus at speed. You can see the Mallock DNA in her. Nice!

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 12:37 am 
We are Slotus!

Tom, Larry -- Good evening gentlemen! Thanks for the kind words...

Ya know, Larry, if you're the "big winner" at an autocross you get this little plastic trophy. I'm as competitive as the next guy, but I also realize that it's not just about winning, it's about enjoying the event. Yeah, I'd be happier if I was the fastest guy there but it was still a good day, outside with a group of friends, playing with cars. We laughed a lot, talked to people, just had a good time. You're right, a whole lot better than working!

Tom- The RV was a long-term plan we've been working on for a lot of reasons. Towing the Slotus to races is part of it. Sure is nice to have somewhere other than the trailer to sit and have lunch. And, as one who has slept in a car trailer with a hot stinky race car, I can guarantee it's a better experience to sleep in the RV. Plus it's a place for a beach weekend for cheap. Grand-kids can nap in it, whether we're at the races or at the beach. Conversely, the kids can't come for a visit when they don't know where you are!!! :twisted:

I appreciate the "Mallock DNA" comment too, it's good to know I got at least part of it right... :mrgreen: Working on the rest, it's just a matter of time.

Peace, Love and DNA-
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 9:13 am 

JD

Inquiring minds would like to know. Is that a Slotus green and black strip on the RV?

Red

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 9:38 am 

Great report JD. "Nothing broke, fell off, or caught fire" is an epic success when you've built your own car.

I can't wait to get back to driving slow cars fast, but I really need to get this garage thing behind me. Or an ark, maybe, if it keeps on raining constantly.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 9:53 am 

"FWD??? No, I have not suffered any head injuries lately."

Good! Don't do it. I tried that last summer. There is nothing positive to be gained from the experience, unless you want to increase your goofyness. I think we can all agree you have your weaknesses, but that is not one of them.

Bill

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 10:25 am 
We are Slotus!

Reddragon wrote:
Inquiring minds would like to know. Is that a Slotus green and black strip on the RV?
Hi Red- Thanks for asking, but the answer is No...
Not yet... :mrgreen:

Hi Bill- I tried autocrossing in a front wheel drive car a couple of times over the years. A Honda and a Subaru (non-AWD variety). Goofy doesn't quite cover it. I pretty much did everything wrong, could barely make it around the course. I had a go a few times in an AWD Subaru as well. It was even more Goofy-er... It pushed like FWD going into the corner then wagged the tail like RWD on exit. Or something like that. Been a few years and I don't 'zackly remember, except that I was terrible in it. Perhaps the common thread is me... Hmm... :shock:

Tommy- "Raining constantly"??? I don't know what you're talking about. It's only rained twice here... Once for 42 days and then again for 29... :BH: I've been watching your progress on the shop building. All things considered (The Flood, stoned foundation workers, inspection angst, etc), you're making really amazin' progress. And lots of admiration for Mrs. TooBusy for all the help she's given ya. Very cool...

JDK

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 10:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Speaking of the RV and Goofy-ness... As y'all know, we name our vehicles 'round here. The "Slotus" is the most recent example. There was Lucretia McEvil (the MGB) and several work trucks, "Red", "Carmine", "Fat Girl" and then drilling rigs, "Tortuga" and "BAR" (Big A$$ Rig). There are others scattered around back there, "Miss Blue" and the "Millenium Falcon" (A slant-six Dodge van. It's called sarcasm.)

So the RV just naturally had to have a name. Before the trip to SGMP on Sunday, I had to wash the damn thing, thanks to our early (Early, hell, year round is more like it!) pollen season here in North Florida. Using a scrub brush on the end of a 5-foot handle reminded me of a cartoon...

I haven't gotten the front license plate made yet, but it's gonna have to say "DELORIOUS"... :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "Delorious" --
JDK

PostPosted: March 7, 2019, 10:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Is this thing on?

Went out to the shop last night, finally getting around to workin' on stuff... In honor of Perry, I stood there and thought about it while I scratched my butt. Ya know, I think that actually helps!

I took the rear clip off the DogA$$Slotus (Couple of pins, two latches, etc) and removed one of the front pieces of the rear fenders (attached to the side panel). I drilled out and replaced the busted rivet. Also cut a little (ugly) slot in the side panel and put a hose clamp thru it and around the roll cage hoop to further strengthen it.

So, I'm thinking that the handling was better with the rear end lowered. The G-Meter in my arse said so... Obvious solution to the tire clearance problem is to raise the fenders. There are two machine screws thru the inner lip of the front pieces and the side panel of the car. Moving them up is just a matter of re-drilling the two holes and re-attaching the pieces.

The rearward parts of the fenders are all one unit with the rear deck. I'm thinking I can add the requisite thickness of foam-stuff across the forward edge of the deck/fender unit and fiberglass it over. It will make a bit of a lip around the rear of the cockpit, but that shouldn't matter... At least not that I can tell.

As soon as I actually DO something (besides the scratching) I'll take some pics... Stay tuned!

Peace, Love and Fiberglass-
JDK

PostPosted: March 7, 2019, 11:16 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I stood there and thought about it while I scratched my butt

Here now!, I resemble that statement!
And it just made my morning :lol:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 9, 2019, 12:03 am 
Toyotaphobe

Here's hoping that when you DO SOMETHING other than scratching it's doing something to the CAR.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 9, 2019, 8:57 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo! Is this thing on?
Went out to the shop last night,<snip> I stood there and thought about it while I scratched my butt. Ya know, I think that actually helps!

<snip>

So, I'm thinking that the handling was better with the rear end lowered. The G-Meter in my arse said so...

<snip>

As soon as I actually DO something (besides the scratching) I'll take some pics... Stay tuned!

My neighbor lady across the street told my wife that she knew when I was hard at thinking. She would see me with the garage door open just standing there and looking for a few minutes. Then I move to a different place and stand there looking.

Good thing she wasn't looking at JD while he was scratchin'. JD, maybe you weren't doing better and simply need to recalibrate your G-meter. After all that scratchin' the sensor might just be a bit more sensitive.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 9, 2019, 10:02 pm 

"scratchin' the sensor might just be a bit more sensitive"

Love it...

PostPosted: March 10, 2019, 8:33 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Good thing she wasn't looking at JD while he was scratchin'. JD, maybe you weren't doing better and simply need to recalibrate your G-meter. After all that scratchin' the sensor might just be a bit more sensitive.
In a former life, I lived in a quiet neighborhood on the east side of town. House was on a corner, garage opened out onto a side street. I had been working on the MGB the night before, and struggling with something (I don't remember what). As soon as I opened my eyes the next morning, I thought of how I should have been doing it. Got up and went straight to the garage. It was summer time, and I raised the garage door after a few minutes. Some time later, I realized why all the people that drove by were waving, laughing, even pointing... I was wearing my blue and white striped boxers and not much else. :shock: Oopsie...

And I thought scratching my butt WAS re-calibrating it??? I'll have to ask Perry, he seems to be the expert. :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Boxer Shorts-
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 316  Next