LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 10:48 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
MangPong wrote:
Have you come across the Norwegian: forhyse, vænakot, or suspensorium...??
Oh Myyyyyyy....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willy_warmer

They say you learn something new every day. I'd hate to think that this counts. :roll:

Oh well, it's better than the morning news. :ack:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 27, 2019, 6:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Walt- The instructions for this particular can of Rustoleum say "Apply second coat any time." Obviously, that ain't exactly true. :BH:
Now, I know some of you read that and thought to yourselves, "That dumb sumbeach didn't really read the instructions!" Well, yes, I did. Read 'em AFTER the paint screwed up, but I read them. And here's what it says, for real, no kidding--
Attachment:
03 26 19 Lying Paint Can.jpg
Dear Rustoleum, in the immortal words of Ray Charles, "You lyin' to me, Honey!" :BH:

For years, I've favored Rustoleum over most other spray paints. I like the way it goes on, good coverage, seems to "lay down" smoothly. I think it's not as likely to run/drip as other paints. Then there's that whole "covers up rust" thing. Lately, I've had problems with the nozzles leaking at the base and clogging up between uses. So now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I oughta give Krylon another try... :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Pigmentation--
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 27, 2019, 10:55 am 

Rustoleum has been my go-to paint as well. I'll stay tuned.

I was really tempted to try this technique even though it involves a LOT of work. Still, it beats the stuffing out of paying $800-1,000 for a paint job.

Long video - skip to end to see results ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 27, 2019, 2:11 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Long video - skip to end to see results ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ

Pretty impressive results! :thmbsup:

PostPosted: March 27, 2019, 2:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yeah, like Mike said... That guy does some reallllly good painting with rattle can paint!

The decision was sort of made for me a little while ago. I had to run some errands at lunch time, and while I was out I went to Lowe's on the west side of town. That's not my usual, but I was over that way.

They didn't have Rustoleum matte black. They did have Krylon matte black. So, I guess we iz gonna give it a shot. Whot th' 'ell... Can't be much worse... And maybe I'll try following the directions this time. Maybe...

I'll report back at y'all later. Perhaps we can close out the Great Rattle Can Scandal of 2019 without any further civil unrest... :roll:

Peace, Love and Spray Paint-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 27, 2019, 5:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey Lonnie- I did skip to the end to see the results, but I just went back and watched the whole thing. I didn't realize the first time around that it was not aerosol paint, but that he was using a roller! That is truly amazing... But I sure can't argue with the results. I've seen several of those tricks before... Always use a sanding block, yep, got the exact same one he's got. I have 320 grit paper in it at the moment too, because I used that to smooth out the surface of that rear deck after I used some more aggressive stuff (120, I think?) to cut the ugly paint off it.

Other than his incredible patience with prepping the surface every time and waiting overnight between coats, I think the real key is that final wet sand with 1000 grit and polish with Meguiars. I've done that before, but used another kind of polishing compound. Don't recall the brand, but it was supposed to be "low abrasive." It does bring out the gloss in the paint.

Meanwhile, back at the shop... I just wiped down the body panel with a new, clean microfiber towel and gave it a good coat of matte black Krylon. It went on just fine. No drips or runs and --so far-- no big ugly splotches. Stay tuned!

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: March 28, 2019, 6:55 am 

JD, my problems with Krylon were mostly with subsequent coats. A major issue was putting on light coats with a nozzle that has a fire hose rating.

Bill

PostPosted: March 28, 2019, 7:09 am 
We are Slotus!

Mornin' Bill!
I went out to the shop and checked the paintwork later on yesterday. I may not need another coat. I painted the whole thing, waited 20 minutes or so and then went over it again, waited 10 minutes and hit a few spots that looked like they needed more color and stopped there. I'm not sure if that counts as 2.5 coats, or one really slow one.

I'll drag it out in the daylight today and let y'all know what it looks like. With black, it's hard to tell if my painting is uneven or if it's just my wavy fiberglass under it... :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: March 28, 2019, 7:46 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I'll admit the same thing happened to me, using Rusto Petty blue on a 80s ram, trying to put on enough to flow, same day second coat went crazy. :BH:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 28, 2019, 8:26 pm 

Me too!

Attachment:
IMG_0511.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 28, 2019, 8:30 pm 

Same thing happened to me w/ floor urethane. Suddenly my entire floor was "cloudy". Had to re-sand and re-coat the entire thing.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 28, 2019, 11:00 pm 

I have no constructive input on your paint issues JD, but I do have some rubbish story to tell. Wayyyyy back years ago when I was talking to the auto body man that painted our fleet vehicles. He says to me "I paint these vehicles just like a baseball game!" I says what?? He says "Yeah, a few hits, a few misses, and few runs, and a few errors......"

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 29, 2019, 6:17 am 
We are Slotus!

GonzoRacer wrote:
I'll drag it out in the daylight today and let y'all know what it looks like. With black, it's hard to tell if my painting is uneven or if it's just my wavy fiberglass under it...
In the daylight yesterday, I could see my wavy fiberglass and some "light" spots that could use more paint and/or less overspray. I might do some "color sanding" with 1500 grit on Saturday and then shoot some more Krylon matte on it. Or I might say "It's a race car" and leave it as is... :mrgreen:

In retrospect (Perry- that means "looking back"), I think the problem was entirely me and not Rustoleum vs Krylon, although the label on the Rusto can was misleading. If I'd paid attention to the time element (I know that "20 minutes or wait two days" routine) none of this would have happened. And I have a higher opinion of Krylon now that I've tried it again. I also appreciate the "true confessions" from several folks who have done the same thing. Like Red Green says, "We're all in this together." :mrgreen:

So it's all good in the neighborhood... What y'all up to these days?

Peace, Love and Spray Cans-
JDK

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 9:49 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
What y'all up to these days?

Well looking back (JD that means retrospect) just over a week back home, looking forward to getting back into the shop. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 31, 2019, 7:22 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
Well looking back (JD that means retrospect) just over a week back home, looking forward to getting back into the shop. :cheers:
Good thing you 'splained that, or I'd have thought you were just lookin' out the back door... :mrgreen:

I followed your summer trip via facebook, as posted by Mrs. Horchoha. Looks like y'all had a really good trip. I'm hoping me and TWWTFM can have some RV adventures soon. We got ours into usable shape (although TWWTFM still has a long list of things I should do to it...). I've used it as a tow vehicle/lunch room at one autocross event and we "pretend" camped out in it in the yard one night, just to see if we could. So far, so good...

Perhaps we should meet in the middle one day. Looks like the midpoint would be that corner where South Dakota, Nebraska and Iowa come together... Oughta be reallllllly exciting... :roll: We'll go cow tipping... Bring lots of liquor... :mrgreen:

Ever seen the movie "Cars"? (Haven't we all?) I'll bring Bubba and he can go Tractor Tipping! Now we're talkin!!! :rofl:

Peace, Love and Sioux Falls-
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 316  Next