LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: March 20, 2019, 1:40 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
and tape the wrap to the cladding

Is that cladding aluminum or vinyl? Is it a stock off-the-shelf item?

PostPosted: March 20, 2019, 2:07 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
TooBusy wrote:
and tape the wrap to the cladding

Is that cladding aluminum or vinyl? Is it a stock off-the-shelf item?

There is a vinyl off the shelf item at Lowe's or I can bend it from aluminum strip.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 22, 2019, 10:24 am 

Quick update.
Met with electrician #2, the one I like. He looked at my main panel in the house and the service feed going to it.
I have a 125A main panel and not enough power from the meter base. The house was built in the 70's so no big surprise there. And while you can overload a panel, it could conceivably already pull 190A. That's if the Dryer, Stove, A/C, and every light in the house were on at the same time. Those circuit breakers total 190A. The meter base isn't rated for 190A, so I already have a power / safety issue. :shock: He thinks that over the years things have been added to the box that weren't in the original plan. For example, there is a gas line behind the clothes dryer and an electrical outlet. That's a 50A circuit that was probably added. The HVAC is a 50A circuit which doesn't make sense. Most likely electric central heat at one point in time. Current is gas.

It took him longer than planned to quote because he went downtown to meet with the city engineers and come up with a plan.
I have 2 options.
1. He can install a second meter base to the garage and pull any amount of power I want. The good news is I can pull any amount of power I want. The bad news is it requires a variance from the city and that process can take up to 6 weeks. More bad news is I have to get a second account with the city and pay the monthly minimum charges, fees, BS, and whatever power I use. Total cost

2. He can upgrade my house service then do the garage. New panel in the house, subpanel in the garage with everything I want. Total cost $3100 all in. No variance from the city, no waiting, no ongoing taxes and fees from extra service.

Not sure why electrician #1 didn't notice the issues when he was here. Maybe he did and didn't communicate what all he really needed to do to get me up and running.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 22, 2019, 11:52 am 

I would go the upgraded house route. My workshop is far enough from the house that I had to have a second supply and separate meter. Since 1998 (I think that's when I built the shop) my shop electrical use (remember, I heat with oil and have no A/C requirement) has NEVER been more than the bi-monthly service charge (meter reading, etc), and is generally less than 20% of the 20 odd dollar service fee. Let's see: 20 years, 6 times per year, by 0.8x20 is $1920. That is the 20 year 'cost' of having two meters instead of one in my case.

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 1:13 pm 

How can you overdraw the meter base with a 125A main breaker? Or is the meter base less than a 125A unit?
Now putting in a bigger main to accommodate more draw could be an issue without changing the meter base.

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 12:45 am 

Tommy I enjoy reading your progress on your garage build, having built a shop or two myself.
Decisions, decisions. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 9:24 am 

In my fantasy garage, there would be an emergency generator that would then feed the house as well. Would require using mobile home drop cables from garage to house, but it would keep the generator indoors and ready to run? And a lot less noisy when running?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 10:01 am 

geek49203 wrote:
In my fantasy garage, there would be an emergency generator that would then feed the house as well. Would require using mobile home drop cables from garage to house, but it would keep the generator indoors and ready to run? And a lot less noisy when running?

Ha, your post reminded me of a stupid thing I once did. When I was in the process of building my garage years (actually decades) ago, I had the garage wired but no service to the breaker box yet. I had made a cheater extension cord that allowed me to run from the house to the garage. I put a male plug on both ends and simply needed to plug the cheater into a garage outlet to back-feed the garage wiring. One night when I was done working, I simply went over and unplugged the wrong end of the cheater, the male end that was plugged into the outlet, leaving me holding the exposed live power in my hand, in complete darkness. :BH:

Fun times!

Tommy, so what did you decide? Electrician #2 with new house service? That would be my choice, if that makes any difference.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 11:30 am 

duratec7 wrote:
How can you overdraw the meter base with a 125A main breaker? Or is the meter base less than a 125A unit?
Now putting in a bigger main to accommodate more draw could be an issue without changing the meter base.

It's an old house with a 125A rated panel, but no main breaker. There are 4 primary circuits that total 190A. All lights and outlets feed from a 60A, The range is 30, the HVAC is 50 and the dryer is 50.

The 60A lighting circuit feeds eight, yes eight 15A circuits. So there is some protection built in there.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 11:33 am 

Hey Chuck
I decided on the house upgrade route. He's starting today and should finish up Friday. Only reason for a delay is the 811 call before you dig people haven't marked lines yet.

He'll get the garage wired, then upgrade the house panel. Once the utilities are marked be gets to dig a 20 foot trench to pull wire connecting the two.

If gas lines cross his path (I bet they do), he'll only go 1 foot deep instead of two and cap the conduit with concrete.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 12:47 pm 

Great minds think alike, or so I'm told.

So I have to ask, is the service wire from the meter to the pole (or underground) good for the increased power? or is the Main Breaker going to be 125A?

It won't be long now...…..

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 3:17 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Great minds think alike, or so I'm told.

So I have to ask, is the service wire from the meter to the pole (or underground) good for the increased power? or is the Main Breaker going to be 125A?

It won't be long now...…..

Wires to the house are capable of 200A. He's setting a new meter, new main distribution panel, and a 200A main breaker.

When all is done I can throw the main breaker and kill all power which brings it up to code and increases safety for firefighters if they ever have to respond. Or I can flip the breaker to the garage feed only at the main panel and keep power to the house.

I hope that Friday I'll be able to run my compressor from garage feed instead of a long drop cord from the house.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: April 25, 2019, 11:33 am 

Long time no update. I'll see if I can give a last month rundown.

Hired the electrician. He got started then him Mom in Guyana had a heart attack. He's been in South America for a few weeks now.
Good news is he got nearly everything done before he left. New panel in the house, new feed to the house, trench and new feed to the garage with sub-panel installed, the rough electrical passed inspection and I have most of my lights and all of my outlets live. He messaged and said he's probably coming back home end of next week and will finish up. 4 light fixtures and a 220V outlet and he gets paid.

For me biggest item was travel for 3 weeks for work. A trip to Michigan for a week, home for the weekend, then off to China for 3 weeks.
The weekend before China my son came up for a day and the two of us installed the big garage door.

When I got home from China Wifey Dearest and I made a punch list of items we'd like to get done quickly if I took 3 days of vacation.
1. fill in French drain with #57 stone
2. gravel driveway out back of garage with #57 stone
3. soffits
4. start siding the walls
5. remove GIANT holly bush / tree from front yard
6. trim GIANT crepe myrtles
7. reframe and install rear garage door
8. install garage door opener
9. Sit on porch and drink wine

the French drain and driveway consumed 3 tons of #57 sized Virginia blue stone from my local landscape supply house. That was 3 trips out and back with the trailer and a lot of sweat on my end of a square bladed shovel.
Attachment:
small drain.jpg

Soffits meant putting up the rest of the 2x framing even with the bottom edge of the fascia boards, cutting vinyl soffit and about 1000 staples in my small nailer. Glad I bought that little gem last year when I was installing baseboards and window trim. I did one side and the front then started putting up siding.

About 2 pm on the first day we had 1/2 the siding up the first long wall when Wifey Dearest said we should start on the holly if we wanted to take a load to the dump.

The Giant holly bush turned into a couple of hours each day over 2 afternoons. It was 30 feet tall and looked like the worlds biggest piece of broccoli. The trunk had a fork at the base and the whole thing was leaning toward my neighbors fence. A little bit of log chain, a well placed notch, and some tugging from Wifey Dearest in the Escape and it came down with little fuss. 2 hours each day cutting into pieces and loading the trailer. 2 loads to the dump totaling 1200 pounds

The crepe myrtles actually spilled over into this week. Two more loads to the dump totaling 1100 pounds.

Day two Wifey Dearest came out to lend a hand hanging siding. We wrapped up the first wall in no time. Then on to the front. It has the biggest visual impact for the neighbors. Vinyl siding has a bit of springiness to it and getting lines to match up on both sides of the garage door turned out to require some thinking, planning, and at least one adjustment on the left side. Measuring for the lengths once the roof slope started was another learning process. At the end of the day, I'm really happy with the result.
Attachment:
small front.jpg

End of Day 2 we jumped in the car and drove 2 hours to buy 6 sheets of slatwall. I didn't realize that taking them down off the store wall was my responsibility when I struck a deal, but c'est la vie. They're here and I'm happy.

Day 3 I ripped out the framing for the rear garage door and widened it to 9 feet. Why? Well I tried getting the trailer through an 8 foot opening and it only had 1" to spare. Classic dumb move on my part during planning. The header is still a doubled 2x12; meets code for up to a 9 foot span. The garage sale sawzall made short work of taking out the original framing. Those 2x12's won't be wasted, they'll become ramps for the trailer. New framing went in easily and I got is all weather taped about 30 minutes before our massive storm that took out my neighbors 40 year old maple tree. I'm glad I moved my race car trailer and Miata off the street. His tree trunk was right where my Miata was parked.

Day 4 - Saturday was mostly spent on family. Baby Girl was in town, so we had a morning of garage sales, farmers market, and strawberry picking with an afternoon birthday party for Brother in Law. Late in the day I took a few hours in the garage and installed the small garage door.
Attachment:
small door.jpg

Day 5 - Sunday - Easter church service and family lunch. Late Sunday afternoon I installed the door opener on the big door.
Attachment:
small opener.jpg

2 walls left to side and facia trim to install.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: April 26, 2019, 10:28 am 

I just had a visit from the building inspector. Failed rough framing for 3 reasons.
1. Under new code he can't sign off without the stamped engineering drawing on the LVL header. :BH:
So I get to call Lowe's, then call the manufacturer, then HOPE they have the drawings with a NC licensed PE they can send me.

2. New code requires 6 king studs on each side of the big garage door and 5 each side of the small door. Holy wind load overkill Batman.

3. Since I raised the long wall in sections I have to add one more anchor bolt to each section.

All in all, not too bad. The addition of king studs on the front will be a challenge. Some minor demolition involved, but toenailing in a tight corner will be a hoot.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: April 26, 2019, 2:21 pm 

6 king studs on each side? That can't be right, can it? Looking at the 2018 IBC codes, I read 3 jack and 3 king studs for up to 18 ft span and 24 inch on center. Even with local mods, I would think it can't be that far off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next