LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: February 28, 2019, 10:45 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Tom, it looks really nice. The output seems rather large along with those flanges, it looks like just a 4 cylinder engine in those pics... :rofl:

Is stuff that big the easiest way to do this? I can ask some people that might know, and would like to show the pictures actually. If you have the parts and want to use them, go right ahead though - it looks really nice.
Marcus, I may have misread your post on my first reply. If you were refering to the headers' downstream connection, the plan is to use Marman flanges. What are they: Think of them as V-band flanges that don't leak. Here's what the pieces look like:
Attachment:
P2284917-1.jpg

The male side (on the left) will weld up to the collector. The female side will weld to a 90* bend heading aft to the muffler. The graphite gasket is optional and the V-band holds it all together. Assembled it looks like this:
Attachment:
P2284918-1.jpg

Not as bulky as it seems in the pics. The V-band will sit just outside the body side panel with 1.5" to 2" more ground clearance than the frame rails.

I like these connectors because they provide a positive frontal location for the rest of the exhaust system, they allow some rotational adjustment, the rest of the exhaust system comes off/on easily, and the connection doesn't leak.

Here's the folks I got them from: https://gbemandrel.com

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

Last edited by seattletom on June 2, 2020, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 11, 2019, 10:12 pm 

Plugging along on my exhaust system. Got the filler panels fitted and tacked onto the headers.
Now working on the sidepipes and mounts. My long trailing arms have caused a lot of head (and fanny) scratchin' on how best to mount the sidepipes (using different hands of course.)

After pursuing a neat mounting system from down under viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19747&p=247187#p247187 I've had to change directions due to clearance and part availability issues.

At this point I'm planning on the approach Corvette used for C2/C3 sidepipes. The pic shows a set of sidepipes for a 65-67 big block, which will look a bit like what will be coming off my headers.
Attachment:
1965 – 1967 Corvette Big Block Side Pipe Exhaust System - 1.jpg

Here's the Corvette mounting hardware:
Attachment:
C2C3 Corvette sidepipe mounts -1.jpg

On the Corvette, the rubber biscuits stack on the short round tubes, clamping the ring-shaped tabs from the sidepipe picture between the 2" diameter rubber donuts. The mount stacks are bolted to the underside of the Corvette frame, pointing downward. In my setup, the mount stacks will sit on top of short outriggers welded to the lower side rails with the short round tubes pointed upwards. The outriggers and stacks will fit under my lower trailing arms and still have clearance in a max droop situation. The sidepipes will be located horizontally by adjusting the length of the outriggers and the tabs. Once bolted up, the sidepipes' vertical and horizontal positions should be fixed with a little jiggle room allowed by the rubber donuts.

That's the theory anyway. My sidepipes should arrive by this weekend and I'll be able to make a more accurate mockup. Pics to follow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Last edited by seattletom on June 2, 2020, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 13, 2019, 7:06 am 
We are Slotus!

I used to have long sidepipes... But I shaved 'em off in '72 when I decided to grow a moustache... :mrgreen:

Looking very interesting there, Tom. I'll be waiting to see the results when the pieces/parts come in!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 13, 2019, 8:04 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

To allow for the engine rocking, the side pipe mounts should allow vertical lift with very little side to side.
Control how much the pipes move at the engine with limiters to prevent metal fatigue/isolator tear at the pipes.

If casting poly, there should be fabric layers in the casting. Poly has very low tensile strength.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 13, 2019, 8:09 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
To allow for the engine rocking, the side pipe mounts should allow vertical lift with very little side to side.
Control how much the pipes move at the engine with limiters to prevent metal fatigue/isolator tear at the pipes.
Thanks, MV8, that has been an area of concern. I'm using Delrin "cushions" on the engine and transmission mounts, so don't expect to see too much engine rocking that doesn't also rock the chassis (and my teeth.) The Marman V-clamp joints at the headers are in a vertical plane aligned lengthwise to the chassis. I don't expect those joints to allow any play once clamped, but they should help with vertical sidepipe setup vis-a-vie the aft mounts. The Corvette mounts at the aft end should minimize the sidepipes' side-to-side movement and still allow for some vertical wiggle. We'll see, still a while before it barks in anger...

GonzoRacer wrote:
I used to have long sidepipes... But I shaved 'em off in '72 when I decided to grow a moustache...
Hey, JD, was that back when you were known as Ringo?
Some sights you just can't unsee... :shock:

PostPosted: March 14, 2019, 7:28 am 
We are Slotus!

seattletom wrote:
Hey, JD, was that back when you were known as Ringo?
Not Ringo, but you're close... Ringo was that British kid that was in a band. He grew a moustache at one point as well. I was known as "Mongo"... :mrgreen:
Attachment:
MONGO.jpg

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 29, 2019, 12:45 pm 

seattletom wrote:
when you were known as Ringo?

No human being could match the draw of Ringo.

PostPosted: March 29, 2019, 1:40 pm 

Trochu wrote:
seattletom wrote:
when you were known as Ringo?

No human being could match the draw of Ringo.

And it was just the years, they say
That made me put my guns away
But on his grave they can't explain
The tarnished star above the name of Ringo :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 6:24 pm 
We are Slotus!

Ohhhh, THAT Ringo... Nope, that wasn't me either... Ya bunch of old f#rts! :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 9:39 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Ya bunch of old f#rts!

Hold on there now JD, you know the old saying'. It takes one to know one............

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 9:54 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Ohhhh, THAT Ringo... Nope, that wasn't me either... Ya bunch of old f#rts! :mrgreen:
But JD, the resemblance is striking...
Attachment:
Ringo.jpg
Attachment:
Mongo.jpg

Last edited by seattletom on April 27, 2020, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 10:42 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

JDK

Hey, Wait a minute! I resemble that remark! :boxing:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 31, 2019, 7:34 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Hey, Wait a minute! I resemble that remark!
@Tom, Perry, & Chuck- Don't we all, brothers, don't we all... Ringo Starr's first TV appearance with that band I mentioned was 55 years ago, 1964. Lorne Greene's hit record was later that same year. We must be havin' fun, because time sure is flyin' by...

JDK 12/28/54

PostPosted: April 8, 2019, 12:58 am 

I got back to working on the exhaust. But not being able to unsee the picture of Mongo, things got a little crazy and I contemplated going the Monster Truck route (Monster Locost?) :shock:
Attachment:
IMG_0030-1.jpg

But reason prevailed (sort of) and I tacked up the Marmon flanges and sidepipes in a fore and aft configuration. Each sidepipe is a combo of a perforated/chambered section plus a glass pack as used on '67 big block Vettes. They're 2.5" i.d. all the way through, and no, I don't expect them to be particularly quiet. Turndowns are yet to be added.
Attachment:
P4074927-1.jpg
Attachment:
P4074926-1.jpg

Vette style mounts will be used at the aft ends of the sidepipes. I bought a pair of repro mounts, but ended up throwing away all but the rubber biscuits and making up replacement mount pieces. The mount br@ck^ts will be welded to the lower frame rails and the insulated/isolated tongues will weld to the bottom of the sidepipes.
Attachment:
P4074931-1.jpg

Here's how the tongue will clamp between the rubber biscuits. The tongues will go on a serious diet before they're finished.
Attachment:
P4074932-1.jpg

And here's kind of what it will look like when assembled. There should be enough clearance to have everything work, including the long trailing arms.
Attachment:
P4074930-1.jpg

Last edited by seattletom on April 27, 2020, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 8, 2019, 7:48 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Tom-
I kinda like the "Monster Truck" version... But you'd need flappers on them, to keep sparrows from nesting in there. On the up-side, with long enough pieces of coat hanger wire, you and your passenger could roast marshmallows while drivin' down the road! :mrgreen: (Mongo like S'mores!)

Quote:
I bought a pair of repro mounts, but ended up throwing away all but the rubber biscuits and making up replacement mount pieces.
That's my boy!!! Sounds like stuff Team Slotus would do. Uhhh... I meant that in a nice way, really... :mrgreen:

Seriously, folks... Looking good. Bet it's gonna sound good too! Those of us old enough to remember Ringo (either one of 'em) have heard a Vette with side pipes. They sounded reallllly good when they got wound up. 8)

Peace, Love & "Loud Pipes Save Lives" --
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 96  Next