LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 5:53 am 

Yea, I thought there was something like that. Problem is there's no good place to fit a small concentric bearing. There are 4 big bolts in the diff that take up space. There's no room on the diff journal, unless I was to mount that bearing out away from the diff.

I'm thinking maybe I don't need bearings, maybe just a bushing of sorts might work for the coaxial intermittent motion.

PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 3:27 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Here is a crude pic of what I was attempting to describe before. No bush or bearing, just greased but you could fit a plastic ring there if you ever wore it out. This design allows you to move the chain over a bit for improved symmetry. This also allows tuneable cush and you could augment compliant bushes acting as bump stops with external tension springs for the cush.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Last edited by Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F on December 1, 2019, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 5:54 pm 

That's sort of what I was originally thinking. But to get any significant rotary shock absorption it would need large and/or soft bushings and that would inherently allow the sprocket to move off axis also (chain would loosen). That's why I've been obsessing over something with bearings to keep the sprocket and diff coaxial.

Here's what I came up with: It's very similar to a motorcycle cush drive, but it's "bearing" is the little yellow things, likely UHMW bits. With a few strategic o-rings I think it should hold some grease also. The grease should fling to the outer surface that the yellow bushes ride on. The round bit is just to hold the bush in place. The transparency doesn't show the sprocket hub too well, but hopefully it makes sense. It'll need another thin plate on the underside, to hold it together. Good place for an o-ring.

Maybe I should just design a sealed aluminum diff housing to fit all the torsen gears and with all the associated flanges built in, and have somebody in China make it for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 7:02 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

In my drawing, the allowable axial runout is controlled by the pink washer, purple spacer, hub, and sprocket thickness. When I say washer, it could be a ring that picks up all the bolts to allow for as much range of motion as you might want while keep the socket secure to the hub. Radial runout would be controlled by the fit to the hub and since the relative motion is so little, even a bushing would be overkill imho. I drew a fat gap at the washer but like I said, crude.

Might as well move forward without cush for now. You can always built it in to work with your current diff.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: March 22, 2019, 2:20 am 

Oh, I see now, the inside hole of the sprocket rides on the hub, yea, that should hold the radial motion.

All good ideas to simmer. It's not a rush. I was just looking at the wiring harness and holy crap, I got some work to do. There an intake solenoid, an exhaust servo, a HGEC blah something and maybe a jeffries tube in there too somewhere, jeez!

A bunch of metal should be arriving any day now, so I can continue the build.

PostPosted: March 29, 2019, 5:02 am 

Got another batch of metal in. I should have aluminum for rockers and the diff plates/bearing housings. And steel for the steering column, rack extenders and axle extenders. That small block is to make another upright that the machinist screwed up.

For the axle extension, I've got a 1.375x.188 tube and I turned the two ends of the cut axle to fit it (about .995"). I guess the axle is still pretty hard, while the carbide lathe tool works, I did have to sharpen it a few times.

When I get to the welding, I'll weld around the obvious joint, then (or beforehand) drill 1/4" holes in it near the ends to weld some spots on. There's about 2" of overlap.

PostPosted: April 2, 2019, 5:25 am 

Got at the diff bearing carriers tonight. I roughed them out on the CNC, and I plan on finishing them on the mini lathe.

Broke the wire my servo operated squirter! Maybe string would work better.

Just 2 more plates and I should be able to mount the diff to the engine.

PostPosted: April 3, 2019, 4:39 am 

I think this one is finished. Each bearing has a tight fit, probably not much, I can push them in halfway by hand, but I don't feel like trying to get them out so I haven't pushed them in all the way yet. I think it'll go well. I'm contemplating putting some locktite on the bearing surfaces so to minimize the possibility of the bearing spinning in the housing.

I had to make some jig plates to hold them in my Mini lathe, basically just rings, the ID fit the lathe jaw outside and in OD fit the rough bearing hole. I slit the ring to allow it to move (clamp) a bit. Seemed to work good.

PostPosted: April 5, 2019, 3:19 am 

If it looks like I don't know what I'm doing, well...

But I am almost done with major aluminum work for the moment. Back to fabbing and welding!

PostPosted: April 19, 2019, 5:24 am 

I'm putting the diff mount cage on the back burner. I decided to work on the rocker plates, it was a moderate success. although I went a bit deep and cut through the plastic protecting the machine, oh well, it got a bit wet.

PostPosted: April 19, 2019, 9:00 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Nice. I guess you are going to bolt the halves together with those extra holes? Margins around the pivot look pretty thin but I see why you did it, for coilover mount adjustment while trying to get the right bellcrank operating angles. Might provide bump stops at the lca so you can't bottom out coilovers and overload the rockers. Interesting built-in spacers for the sphericals.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: April 19, 2019, 11:01 am 

Yes, the two 5/16 plates will bolt together, but with a 1/2" spacer plate. That puts the outside thickness just fitting inside the shock end (.018" clearance).

I needed the built-in-spacers to allow some angle movement coming from the pushrod.

I haven't really thought about or had a good idea for down stops. I was maybe thinking about a bump stop on the rocker somewhere. Something with a screw adjuster would be nice.

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 3:19 am 

More ray gun parts. Ya got your front coil pack space with the ZPE (zero point energy) device behind it...ah, it's late.

Now I realize I didn't plan for any kind of bearing at the shock mount, hmmm...might just have to be grease for now.

PostPosted: May 8, 2019, 2:41 am 

Work on this is slowing with the nice spring weather, but I'll try to keep going this summer. I wanted to have a basic roller by the end of summer.

To connect the rack to the steering column, this is what I am doing: I don't know what's it's called, "steering column connector shaft"? "Rack to column intermediary shaft link"? That seems wrong. Let's call it a "column link".

I ground flats on the end that goes to the rack to fit the u-joint, fairly accurately, almost no slop. It uses 2 set screws with jam nuts. I plan on doing the same on the steering column end. On the other u-joint I drilled out the existing spline to match the column link shaft diameter and had to turn a bit off the shaft itself to get it to fit nicely. Then I welded that u-joint to the column link. I did short sections of weld and cooled the u-joint in between welding to try to prevent the bearings from heating up. And then I also plug welded the hole for the set screw. 125 amps on the little HF tig welder, the highest it's ever seen, seemed to work fine.

Does this all seem reasonable?

PostPosted: May 8, 2019, 7:27 am 

During final assembly of the steering system, Remove each of the button head Allen screws, clean the threads and add locking agent. Do not assume they are tight from the factory!!!
[lessen learned] Davew

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next