LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chevette Uprights
PostPosted: April 11, 2019, 3:41 pm 

After all was said and done did anybody ever find a tie rod end and screw in/press in ball joints that fit the Chevette uprights?
TIA
Tony

Post subject: Re: Chevette Uprights
PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 8:44 am 

I can look for part numbers when I get home. The factory lower ball joints are press in and uppers are bolt in. There is a bolt in upper ballpoint from a midsize Chevrolet that you can use as a lower ball joint. You can buy Howe racing ball joints that allow you to mix and match pins and ball joint bodies. They are expensive but that is what I am running for lower ball joints. For the upper ball joint I am using a beetle tie rod end. This also fits the spindle for the actual tie rod end. I wish I could find a larger tie rod for the upper ball joint but I couldn't find anything

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 9:01 am 

VW tie rod end? Ha! probably have one or two floating around in my garage. Basically I would like to built adjustable upper a-arns similar to kinetic Vehicles design.
The stock ball in upper ball joint poses some design problems but not the end of the world. The only issue I have with the bottom is that I can't find a ball joint sleeve/pocket that fits. Come to push an shove I will machine a pair to fit.
Thanks
Tony

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 12:43 pm 

Hi WelderLee
I have done some research. It appears that the vw tie rod end that you are using are what some refer as early VW (link pin) front end. I notice that they have a M10 thread which is the same as the Chevette upper ball joint. The later Vw (ball join) uses a M12. Easy to check as the M10 uses a 17mm nut and the larger ones use a 19mm nut. You mentioned that you'd like a larger one. Well not exactly what you are saying BUT it may resolve this. Check this out: https://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac425095.html.
Can't promise this but in early June I maybe able to prop in Pacific Customs and take with me a Chevette upright and see if the pin/adapter actually fits properly.
Tony

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 3:02 pm 

tonico222 wrote:
Hi WelderLee
I have done some research. It appears that the vw tie rod end that you are using are what some refer as early VW (link pin) front end. I notice that they have a M10 thread which is the same as the Chevette upper ball joint. The later Vw (ball join) uses a M12. Easy to check as the M10 uses a 17mm nut and the larger ones use a 19mm nut. You mentioned that you'd like a larger one. Well not exactly what you are saying BUT it may resolve this. Check this out: https://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac425095.html.
Can't promise this but in early June I maybe able to prop in Pacific Customs and take with me a Chevette upright and see if the pin/adapter actually fits properly.
Tony

Looks like I used part number ES419R, Which I think fits 1969 and newer VW beetles not sure if that is the link pin or ball joint front end.

I like that heim joint adapter. I had not seen one that fit VWs before. What I was referring to was the diameter of the threaded area where it goes into the control arm. Seems like allot of the tire rods I see people using for upper ball joints have much larger diameters, but I know that people have successfully used the VW tie rod ends in this application. so it probably does not matter.

Attached is stock lower ball joint and VW upper

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 5:40 pm 

Yeap, the ES419would be for a ball join front end. Keep in mind that the adapter is meant to be used with an earlier model which has a smaller diam taper.
Tony

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 5:46 pm 

BTW how did you install the bottom ball joint on the A-arm, did you find a sleeve?
Tony

PostPosted: April 15, 2019, 11:37 am 

tonico222 wrote:
BTW how did you install the bottom ball joint on the A-arm, did you find a sleeve?
Tony

I did not use the press in ball joint. I used the Howe Racing version of a K5108 upper ball joint. If I were to do it again, I would turn an appropriate sleeve and use the factory joint. When I made the control arms I didn't know how to bore on a lathe, but now it would be a piece of cake. As an alternative if you want thread in ball joints you could pick a threaded body from Howe, such as a K772 body and use the pin that fits a K5108. Sleeves for the K772 ball joint are readily available.

PostPosted: April 17, 2019, 8:42 am 

Have you driven your car yet? Just wondering how the VW tie rods are working out?

PostPosted: April 19, 2019, 12:12 pm 

I used Moog ES422R for the upper ball joint on Chevette spindles. I cannot recall what vehicle it was for, but I bet it's a VW. This was 13 years ago. I've driven maybe 20,000km on the car? No issues whatsoever.

I machined my own ball joint ring for press-fit Chevette lower ball joints.

It -looks- like I used Moog ES2261 tie rods on the rack to make it fit my track width with a Chevette steering rack. I don't even recall what they look like, or how I mounted them, or what adapters I needed (if any), or even if I'm still using them..... but they got me through the inspections.

PostPosted: April 19, 2019, 12:15 pm 

(Datsun B210 hubs and bearings fit right on the Chevette spindles and use the same nut and washer, if you need 4x114.3" on the front)

Last edited by SkinnyG on April 22, 2019, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 20, 2019, 7:00 am 

Thanks for the info, I appreciated.
Tony