LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 18, 2024, 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 12, 2019, 10:31 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
You will probably find the dog bone in the corner on the floor of the garage, next to 27 Sharpies. In the meantime, check, double check and triple check the entire engine for remnants just in case I'm wrong, :cheers:
Chuck, I think you're basically right, the dogbone is runnin' around the shop floor somewhere... Unless maybe Shop Snake (or Bubba :roll: ) ate it. The metal I'm thinking is in there somewhere is from the cam lobes. Regardless, everything's gotta be looked at, cleaned, and maybe replaced. (AGAIN :evil: )

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 7:23 am 
We are Slotus!

GonzoRacer wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
You will probably find the dog bone in the corner on the floor of the garage
Chuck, I think you're basically right, the dogbone is runnin' around the shop floor somewhere...
Y'all ain't gonna believe this sh!t... Found the lost dog bone. INSIDE the engine, only a few inches from where it was supposed to be. We wuz wrong, Chuck!

There's a thing called a "spider" that bolts to the floor of the intake valley. Made of springy stamped steel, has a long center rib that runs down the middle of the valley and arms that come out and up and sit on top of each dog bone to keep it in place (FAIL!) and to help them come back down after the lifter pushes them up. Welllll... When I unbolted the spider yesterday, there sat #6 dog bone, in a puddle of oil...
Attachment:
05 13 19 Found The Dog Bone.jpg
I picked it up and examined it before I thought to take the picture, but that's the puddle. The wandering dog bone is the one nearest my hand. It seems undamaged.

So, I guess I didn't just forget to install it. I guess it got out from under the spider somehow, and slid to the center of the valley and just hung out there, while the lifters proceeded to destroy the cam. I guess... Not sure how any of that could happen. Earl said he'd seen them wind up there before, didn't have a real solid theory on how it occurs, although he thinks it's "user error" where the dog bone wasn't installed correctly to begin with. I guess...

In other news, TWWTFM is makin' a big pot of chicken and dumplings. So, how many for dinner tonight?

Peace, Love and "Chicken & Dumplins" --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 8:10 am 

Wow, Simply, WOW! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 11:03 am 

Ah ha, and another reason I am going with the old KISS principle for my overbuilt 327!
Flat tappet cam, fewer parts to fail. :)

PostPosted: May 15, 2019, 6:59 am 
We are Slotus!

The autopsy of the engine continues: This is what the camshaft looked like, when it was released into the open light of day.
Attachment:
05 14 19 Camshaft Ruins.jpg
I had thought the lobe next to the damage one was also damaged, but it must have been shadows or oil on it, it seems pretty much normal. As a whole, the camshaft is a goner though... Sigh... :(

On a more positive note, the chicken and dumplings were superb!

:cheers:
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 15, 2019, 3:43 pm 

That's RIGHTEOUS cam destruction, worthy of Slotus!

PostPosted: May 15, 2019, 4:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

TRX wrote:
That's RIGHTEOUS cam destruction, worthy of Slotus!
Thanks... i think... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 20, 2019, 6:30 am 
We are Slotus!

Welllll.... Not much progress to report... Yesterday was TWWTFM's birthday, so we went to St. George Island state park with HamDip, Earl, and JJ. I drove the RV down and parked it in one of the beach access places. We hung out most of a day, played in the surf, had a picnic lunch and then they went home and we set up camp in the park. Kinda nice... I could get used to this RV stuff...
Attachment:
TWWTFM's Birthday 2019.jpg

PostPosted: May 20, 2019, 9:46 pm 

I knew it! I knew it! You guys got bit by the RV bug! :cheers:

GonzoRacer wrote:
Kinda nice... we could get used to this RV stuff...

There I fixed that for ya.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 20, 2019, 10:05 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I knew it! I knew it! You guys got bit by the RV bug!
Yup, we sure did. :mrgreen:

Didn't do much this morning. This afternoon we went back to the beach, then came home and grilled some burgers for dinner.
Just hanging out by the Gulf of Mexico... Life is good!

PostPosted: May 27, 2019, 3:26 pm 

Good on ya, JD. That looks like a beautiful setting. I wish I was there!

I keep trying to sell my wife on doing RV stuff, but so far - she's no good. My real-life backup plan (Plan D) for an economic disaster is buying a RV and staying in all the National Parks, National Forests and BLM lands. I got my FREE lifetime pass for all those puppies before the sh*theads starting charging for them, if you can even get them anymore.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 28, 2019, 7:58 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie-
Have you and Mrs. Lonnie ever tried one of those rental RV's? I think they tend to be a bit pricey, but no more than a motel at the location you're headed to. There's a lot going for the RV thing, really. I tow the trailer/Slotus to races with it. Some places you can plug into power in the paddock area, which is really nice. The RV becomes headquarters, lunch room and changing area and it gots A/C and a bathroom! Cost for fuel to get to the places we run autocrosses is about 60 bucks round trip. About what a motel room would cost.

Camping is really nice... All two times we've been. We were beside Ochlocknee Bay one time http://holidaycampground.com/, and most recently at St George Island. https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks.../dr-julian-g-bruce-st-george-island-state-park

At Ochlocknee Bay, we hung out by the bay for a weekend, didn't do a damn thing. Watched the sunset, looked at the water, walked across the road (actually went under the bridge along the shoreline) to the seafood restaurant for dinner, grilled steaks the next night, just had a calm, relaxing weekend. It was great. The campground has a pool, big bath house, lots of shade, and a store. (I took showers in the bath house.) About $55/night.

St George has good sized parking areas and bath houses at the beach access points. We parked in the corner of the lot, cranked up the Onan and turned on the A/C. Everybody went and played on the beach, rinsed most of the sand off in the bath house and then we washed/changed JJ in the RV, made sammiches with stuff in the fridge and ate lunch at the picnic area at the beach. Then the young'uns left and we set up at the campground where the picture was taken. Just hung out the rest of the weekend. Grilled again (see a pattern?), watched sunrises, listened to birds, looked for dolphins in the water. This is a state park, so it's cheap, $24/night.

It's a good way to escape for a weekend (or longer). It like camping, but you have a real bed to sleep in, A/C if you want it, a kitchen, etc. Not a lot of room in the thing, but that's part of the fun. (Well, if you get a laugh out of bumping butts in the kitchen... :mrgreen: ) Any way, I recommend it highly... Y'all shoud give it a try.

Peace, Love and Portable Homes-
JDK

PostPosted: May 28, 2019, 1:29 pm 

I keep working on her, JD, but no luck so far. Mostly, it's the cost of storage, insurance and upkeep.
We'd have to rent a spot at an RV storage facility. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the nice run-down on your adventures - sounds really nice.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 28, 2019, 2:13 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
... Mostly, it's the cost of storage, insurance and upkeep.
We'd have to rent a spot at an RV storage facility. ...
Cheers,

Lonnie, you need to get out of California!!! I did!

PostPosted: May 28, 2019, 9:52 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
Mostly, it's the cost of storage, insurance and upkeep.
We'd have to rent a spot at an RV storage facility. I'll keep trying.,
I can understand her hesitancy, given all that. We pay $53/month for insurance on ours, which is a '97 model, 28 ft long. Not the most expensive to insure. (And in a different state...)

Upkeep is (so far) mostly do-it-yourself stuff, not a lot of $$$. With the drivetrain/chassis/cab/electronics being Ford, James is well versed in repairing things, so I have a built in tutor and a back up if I can't figger it out. I'd bet you could do most anything yours would need.

Storage is the bugger in there, I guess. It would rack up $$$ over time, and make it harder to work on the thing or even just go get it to load up and go. Kind of a buzz-kill, ya know... We're fortunate that we live out in the boonies with no HOA (HOA? Hell, we don't even have sidewalks...) and we can park it right beside the house.

Maybe the thing to do is wait for Perry to come down for the winter, and go hang out in his big ol' RV. He might not even know y'all are there for a day or two, iffen ya don't snore.. :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292 ... 316  Next