LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 6:23 pm 

May 11-12, 2019

This series shows the recess welded in, my indecision on which style bumpers to run, and the choosing of where to route the exhaust tips..

On the left are the Volvo 1800 prototype "cowhorn" bumpers (which are incidentally just the front bumpers from this same car)... On the right are the Volvo 1800 OEM 'long' bumpers that came on the rear of these early 1800s (Volvo later severely shortened the bumper side 'spear' that runs up the side of the quarter panel)..

I don't want to do different just for the sake of being different (retrofitting the front cowhorn bumpers on just because I can).. I want to run the bumpers that look the best, and best fit the overall shape of the car..

The more I sit and stare at this, the more I like the 'long' (non-cowhorn) style as seen on the right (Volvo's stock rear bumpers for this year).. very sleek, spear-like, and 'flows' in a jet-age, early-60's kind of way, much the way the rest of the rear of the car looks to me.. ..When I originally conceived of putting the cowhorn bumpers on the rear to emulate the prototype, to truly nail the look, I'd need to morph the two styles together and graft the side-spears onto the cowhorns to copy Volvo's initial vision for this car, and I like the concept, but it's a long way to go if the result is less than pleasing...

Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts on which style bumper looks best to you.. the car is going to paint, but I can make up my mind later this summer and easily run either style bumper...

**also note that I've had to cut off the lower 2-3" of the rear valance due to finding poor bodywork and an excess of filler down there :shock: ... someone did some shoddy work in this rust-prone area, and I just couldn't leave it in there.. a new lower patch panel has been ordered and it will be fixed 'right' :wink:

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 6:56 pm 

With the recess, the right side bumper looks far and away the best.

Left side upturn clashes with the plate area something fierce.

PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 7:09 pm 

@Mathsci.. I forgot to respond to your pic from the last page... yes, yes, yes, that recessed plate in the drawing is where I'm headed.. The P1800 pictures from Mattias Vox (2009) on the re-imagined 1800 are stunning... I know some of what he's drawn won't work in the real world, but most of it does.. super cool.. For those that want to see that drawing come to life, Google "68EFIvert," a guy named Derreld is building a 68 that will be phenomenal when it's done.. a no-expense-spared build that will truly be a one of a kind..

@300D50.. I'm having a hard time with the flow on that left side too.....

Here are some pics of what Volvo was doing with the prototype design for this car in the earliest stages.... it's interesting that most of the rest of the car made the leap to production, but this rear area was noticeably changed... maybe for good reason :?

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 7:58 pm 

I think I have it figured out.

The upturn ends near the lower edge of the prototype, and angles nicely into it.

Your mockup has the end of the upturn about mid-plate, which seems to be the issue.

With where your plate recess sits, the flat bumper points to the lower corner, like the prototype, and it all flows together.

PostPosted: May 15, 2019, 2:07 pm 

300D50 wrote:
I think I have it figured out.

The upturn ends near the lower edge of the prototype, and angles nicely into it.

Your mockup has the end of the upturn about mid-plate, which seems to be the issue.

With where your plate recess sits, the flat bumper points to the lower corner, like the prototype, and it all flows together.

I think you've nailed it... the eye doesn't like that upturn mid plate.. the 'flat' bumper on the right levels in just where you think it should.. I'll have to play with the elevation of the left side bumper to see if I can get it to flow into the recess better.. I rather like the way it looks on the prototypes..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 15, 2019, 2:44 pm 

If you "un-bent" the upturn a bit to a shallower angle, and increased the bend radius (start near where the jack pad is?), you may be able to coax it into compliance.

My minds eye wants to see the bumper upturns meeting at the exact middle of the plate if extended.

I'm rubbish with MS-paint, so it's all text on my end.

EDIT: One other idea, is to have the sides of the plate cutout follow the bumper contour. Think sides of the Atari logo.

PostPosted: May 16, 2019, 10:50 am 

300; If I sweep those plate sides/body line down and out, the Atari logo is all I would see :lol: ..I'm still toying with this... maybe once out of paint, I can cobble together the two separate bumper styles (prototype/left vs. production/right), and run each different set for a few weeks to see which I like better- then I can rechrome/mod whichever set I choose to finally use..

The set of pics are of the pass-through tips being cut in.. The tips themselves are stainless 2.5 OD (rolled edge), and the stainless trim rings are sourced from an early Mustang GT.. As they're going in, I think they might be a little bigger than I'd like, but I know perspective changes once you get all of the pieces in place and quit staring at the part you're obsessing about :roll: .. ..It will also help visually once I get the lower patch section of the valance up into place..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 16, 2019, 11:23 am 

May 15, 2019..

A few last pics of the rear- this time with the exhaust pass throughs mocked into place, and with the stock 63 bumpers roughly where they belong.. I like this look, but I'm a fickle, fickle builder, so I'll make a final decision later, once she comes back in paint.. and speaking of paint....

....It's been about 4 months since the 'incident in the rain," and now she's off to the body shop :cheers: ..This is a milestone I didn't want to rush, but I'm glad it's finally here.. I've repaired/replaced/modded to the best of my ability to get to this point where I hand it off to a pro to do the finish (read: difficult, time-consuming, 'pretty') work :wink: .. Even with these last few months of effort on my part, I fell a bit short.. This last weekend I found some crap bodywork in the lower rear valance, and the patch panel didn't make it in time, so I'll have bodyman Alex mod that part in..

So there she is about to be strapped to the dolly.. I'm not used to having my vintage baby out of my sight, but that's the way this goes.. gotta hand it over for the next month or two.. so weird walking out into the garage and not having the car there.. my heart drops for just a second thinking it's been taken :shock: ..

The plan at this point is to now focus on our relocation in a few weeks, ideally get the Volvo back once settled, and spend whatever time is needed this summer to get her into top shape (I'm having the chrome done too).. This year I'll miss the Pismo car show I was entered in, and the Hot August Nights show in Reno (I'll miss that one because of my work schedule).. by this August/Sept (2019) she should be as about as good as she'll ever be under my stewardship... To keep the fire lit under me, I've entered the National Volvo meet in San Luis Obispo (SLO) this September (aka: SLORolling Festival; 2019 VCOA National Meet).. ..this is to be held right in my 'new' central coast backyard.. cool 8)

Let's see if the plan holds up.. at least there should be not be another "incident in the rain" this summer :lol:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 28, 2019, 12:22 pm 

There's this

Last edited by Mathsci on January 7, 2020, 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 2:03 pm 

Or maybe this

Last edited by Mathsci on January 7, 2020, 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 3:12 pm 

Mathsci wrote:
Attachment:
Volvo1a.jpg

Thank you for the virtual repair and paint job Mathsci :cheers:

It's so different from what I used to have at the rear of the car... interesting and helpful to see it close to how it will actually look.. Not sure if I like it or not.... I'll have to stare at it awhile longer :wink:

Mathsci.. you're fairly new to the board.. Welcome! Do you have a project you're on now? Maybe researching? At any rate, thank you for the paint on this rear panel pic.. really helpful in helping me decide which direction to take this.. it's in the shop, but the rear panel work is not yet done...

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 7:02 pm 

Crunner, thank you for the welcome! I have an 1800ES that I will be tackling before long. Was trying to decide if I wanted to do a engine transplant or punch out the B20, weld up the intake port floors, and improve the breathing a bit (supposed to be able to get around 175 - 190hp that way). Anyway, the search for suitable transplant lead me here.

Lurked for quite a while watching your progress on first the Volvo and then the Berkley. Joined after I saw your post about a new and pressing need to repair the Volvo and had to say something.

So far as the "virtual repair and paint job", I was curious what it would look like with the shortened bumpers so gave it a shot. If it helps at all, consider it a thank you for many hours of entertainment ;=)

One more for grins

Last edited by Mathsci on January 7, 2020, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 9:03 pm 

I think the rear looks much better with the flat bumpers and the valance trimmed about midway in line with the exhaust. The lower valance does not "feel" right.

In other words - do not weld in the lower 2" of valance. Just my $0.02 :lol:

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: September 3, 2019, 10:57 am 

Summer 2019

Maybe I'm one of those overly picky A-hole vintage car owners.. something to keep in mind..

I told the painter "This is not a show car".. Fact is, I can't afford a 'show car' paint job, and besides, I daily this car to the tune of 300 miles a week.. I don't even want a show quality paint job...

What I do want however, is a really, really nice paint job.. one that I can be proud of: That, I'm willing to pay for.. I want a 'better than average' job.. That is not how this turned out.

To his credit, the painter is a hell of a body man.. this old car needed some ironing out, and he did a great, great job at that. Where he failed was in the actual painting of the car. Too much orange peel, and way too much fallout in the paint, considering the $$ I paid. Again, maybe I'm an a**hole, but if it were my shop, I'd never let a job out the door with such flaws :evil:

Life goes on, and it is what it is. I'm lucky to have painted my last car myself, which taught me that 'paint correction' is a wonderful, if not time-consuming thing that can work absolute miracles.

And that's where the Volvo is this summer- paint correction. 1500/2000/3000 and lots of hours.. I'll get this build log caught up soon, but the paint is not 'there' yet.. I made the mistake of using circular strokes while wet sanding, and I too-late noticed 1500 scratches that still need to be chased out. Overall though, when I'm done with the correction, this paint will really pop (at this point I may wait until summer of 2020 to redo the wet sanding/buffing process).. Here are a few pics from late July as I started the laborious process that I shouldn't have had to do :(

I'm withholding the name of the shop that shot the car because I frankly don't want to spend my energy on any drama that might result if I did..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: September 3, 2019, 4:26 pm 

I built my Locost in a auto accessory based shop. We were basically electronics but we did almost everything automotive except body work. Quite often a customer would ask for painter recommendations an we couldn't accommodate them because of the issues you experienced. Fortunate you know the fix.

Cheers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next