LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
PostPosted: February 11, 2019, 8:21 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
50-200in lbs for small hardware. [SNIP]
0-30 torque meter. [SNIP]
total preload of 15 inch lbs. [SNIP]
more than 30 inch lbs
Shoot, I just tell Bubba to use two fingers, or three, or his whole hand... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 21, 2019, 12:34 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
50-200in lbs for small hardware. [SNIP]
0-30 torque meter. [SNIP]
total preload of 15 inch lbs. [SNIP]
more than 30 inch lbs
Shoot, I just tell Bubba to use two fingers, or three, or his whole hand... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

Haha.. my mits arent that well calibrated. For fear of breaking things, I tend to undertighten, torque wrench needed for this guy. 

Did I say I was going to get reverse going this week? Soon as I did, wifey gets sick, and we have a snow day and the kids are home.. 

I did manage a few small bits. Made a bridge to move a brake line away from the flywheel. For some reason a critical line next to a rotating mass didnt sit well. 

Been torquing down bolts at the rear end. Got the pinion flange back in the diff with the proper pre load and smooth breakaway torque. I un crushed the collar by placing it over a pipe and taping it out with a hammer.. i know, kinda crude, but it gave me the illusion it worked.... worse case, I take it all apart and replace the gears with 3.42s and a proper rebuild.

Added a threaded bung for another fan switch.. this is located on the coolant manifold on the top of the engine. Cleaned it out with a wire brush on an extention. I rarely use these, got them at the yardstore in 2009.. got the manifold painted up today both inside and out. You can see by the crud that came out and why paint was needed. Ideally it would be plated .. or made from aluminum.

And finally, my shelves and drawers showed up.. some shipping damage to a back panel. That is being addressed. Managed to get all my tools, paint, auto fluids and lubes in. Requires a steplader to access all levels. Drawers are cavernous and can take 400 lbs per drawer.. for some reason, my shop and tool crib is much tidyer, most likely attributed to wanting to open and close drawers now. My old craftsman box sold in 2 hr on kijiji. Planning to add more of this rousseau stuff.. check them out if you live in canada.. made in quebec and right up there with lista, vidmar etc. Although expensive, way less than the other brands... most likely due to not importing from the states.. I bought right before the steel tarrifs were implemented aswell.

Heres some pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 22, 2019, 7:23 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I thought a new crush sleeve was a done-deal based on your post or I would have suggested that but also heating to anneal since the crush and the straightening tend to harden the sleeve but I've done that with Ford sleeves a few times and had no issues with loosening coupler flanges.

Steel coolant tubes work fine when the coolant ratio is maintained and changed every few years. Paint can soften, separate, and clog a radiator tube or head gasket hole.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 9:14 am 

MV8.

Thanks for the input, ill consider the steel coolant tubes "temporary" and replace with aluminum after road legal status. Hammering out the crush sleeve was the last step before going to a new crush sleeve. I was hoping youd chime in and say that was ok.

Otherwise, posting from the honda dealership as they fix the disintegrating shift lock out button. Wifeys car takes priority...
Attachment:
20190305_064650_resized.jpg

Sick kids, snow days... etc... same story for the last 5 years.. this project is a 3 way battle of time, place and money.. time is the hold up now, but aleast im not weather dependant on mold making etc.

remaining projects winshield and seat... its all little stuff im doing now. Reverse gear relay panel is done. Basically the clutch must be depressed and the car in neutral before power can be applied to the reverse gear contacter. Inadvertant engagement of the starter is nfg, as is not being able to disconnect. Multiple safeties here. Maybe overkill, but seems like a normal amount of airplane grade redundancies.
Attachment:
20190303_060835_resized_1.jpg

Nuts and bolts

You know me.. ocd about materials, chemistries and fastening technology. Most of all the critical hardware is AN and some NAS. AN bolts fit between grade 5 and grade 8 in terms of tensile strength at 125,000 psi ultimate strength. However, tolerance, plating, UNJF threads (larger root radius), and joint design make them ideal for our projects vs grade 8 hardware.. carroll smith thinks so too. Of course a poor hole, joint, or improperly torqued fastener, and it all means nothing..

On to torqueing. I went from 1 to 5 torque wrenches in the last month...I went on an ebay bender.. some locations required special tools for access, and not wanting to torque the head of the bolt in a press fit hole. Ok, maybe excessive.. so i made a few torque adapters from princess auto sockets and wrenches. Of course snap on and proto make these, but the bill would have been steep.. welded up with 309 filler..

Attachment:
20190226_153831_resized.jpg

I like to keep a stock of hardware. I replace nuts and bolts all the time on my turf equipment with an or gr8 stuff frequently.. namely slice seeder baldes. Having stock keeps the money show rolling during the season. Stock got low and I put in an order with aircraft spruce. Torqueseal was in the mix.
Attachment:
20190227_210657_resized_1.jpg

It doesnt seal anything, but rather indicates when a fastener has loosened.. also a good way of telling yourself, "yes, you did tighten that". Provided you did tighten it.
Attachment:
20190303_060845_resized_1.jpg

Thats all for now..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 5, 2019, 9:23 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

My grandmother kept having issue with a similar shifter button found on 80s ford pickups. We found that instead of pressing and releasing the button, she would press the button then slide her thumb off of it to let it "pop" out. Eventually it let go. Replace the switch a few times before we found out the cause.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 5:08 pm 

MV8... I couldnt convince my wife to just "stick your finger in there" every time you want to get in/out of park.. honda replaced the next day. Had to give up some shop time..

Reverse. It works as expected, I wont be expecting it to perform well up hill. The piont is to pass inspection. I need anothet 40 amp breaker in parrallel as the single 40amp, opens after a few seconds. Need to clean up the rear wiring.

Heres a vid. https://youtu.be/pOUC_i-YEVM

And.. while testing reverse and maneuvering, I manage to send the car into an imoveable object to get a run over a large ice mound leading into the garage. BANG. splitter mount is bent in almost all critical locations. Yep, some humble pie was eaten. I should have pushed it in.

Some I am posting while the fix is in progress. This one is better and should be able to integrate the bumper and tow hook into it more easily. Not as rigid by itself, but the sum should be greater here.

On the business and home front: My pesticide applicators license expired this year, so studying and writing those exams were priorities. Also wrote the the structural pest control exam to open a new revenue stream. Almost ready to file taxes, then onto quoting for the turf season. I have a commitment to not drive as much as I did last year for business. The time can never be replaced.

Shop update. Had an opportunity to move some tooling along in february, Instead of buying more inventory with the proceeds, I decided to complete tool crib storage I planned out. The pallet showed up tuesday, the entire day was dedicated to get reconfigured and set up..

Pics to follow.

Last edited by airframefixer on March 21, 2019, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 5:20 pm 

Pics

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 3:29 pm 

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew, you manage you manage to move tons of expensive aluminum around with powerful engines and you prang the car at 1 mph in your driveway. :roll:

OK, keep your eye on the prize. On the road for sure this summer. :D

Ron

PostPosted: March 29, 2019, 12:08 pm 

sevenesqueron wrote:
Andrew, Andrew, Andrew, you manage you manage to move tons of expensive aluminum around with powerful engines and you prang the car at 1 mph in your driveway. :roll:

OK, keep your eye on the prize. On the road for sure this summer. :D

Ron

Yep, I sure did.. lets call it a slow speed impact test. Hey gotta break things to learn! Working towards that goal.

Speaking of.. new splitter mount done, made a double auto reset breaker mount that doubles as a distribution bus.. this is required for reverse as the 40amp trips too soon. Its now 80amp, maybe 50-60 amps may be best as I do want it to trip after a few seconds of use.

Speed sensor magnet is mounted, the sensor braket will bolt to where the heat shield affixes to the upright.

Some fab pics.. ran out of 10/32 locknuts, so using nutplates when posible... using knipex plier wrench to squeeze rivets... relocated external power plug to firewall, this is where the charger plugs in, or aux batt.

Baby steps..

PostPosted: April 8, 2019, 10:54 am 

Hello Fellers.

Taxes done, and a postive return!! Woo.. Now on to quoting for the business!

Car. Many small jobs being tackled including carb mods, wiring, speed sensor bracket. Nothing much to see for work, but I have been busy. 

The FZ1 from the factory runs notoriously lean in low power settings, and pig rich are larger throttle openings. Im basically copying the perscribed fix from the bike world. I have been driving my car, up and down the driveway, (and also into things) to troubleshoot some fueling issues. 

Surging, and stumbling, hard starting and a pronounced 4000 rpm buzz were present with the carb settings. Mind you thats how it came off the bike. My exhaust most likely threw everything off. 

Mods. First.. remove the pilot circuit brass plugs and richen circuit to 5 turns out. They were already drilled out, and at 3 turns. 

Adjust float height to 14mm. This affects overnight flooding issues apparently.

Replace high speed jets from 132.5 to 122.5. Fixes high speed richness. Previous owner has 124s installed. 

Shim needles to spec. Wont get into it, but the previous owner had a jet kit installed with aftermarket needles. Oem ones have no adjustment these aftermarket ones have 6 grooves. Made sure the needles were at the correct height. 

And lastly, cut the slide springs 1/2 inch, and drill out slide vent holes. This is a common fix for lazy throttle response. Also replaced the K&N filter with an OEM yamaha filter. These carbs can be sensitive to filter changes.. wanted to keep the variables low. 

Did a few test runs up the driveway, which is 120 ft long.

The results: explosive acceleration. At steady 2000rpm, tires break loose with full throttle application.. scary quick!!

Starts, runs, and accelerates very smooth throughout the rpm band. Long black tire marks on the drive way.

Many small items have been checked off the list.

Andrew

PostPosted: June 7, 2019, 4:49 pm 

So.. tailight converters are sensitive to lamp type, ie, LED vs incandescent. The first one was cheap, like 10$, but it didn't work. found an LED compatible one on Amazon, so tried it out and it works as it should now. Got some wiring cleaned up and secured on the back end. Also made an additional body mount which is necessary as the center section isn't stiff enough for the weight it is. Rear body work wiring harness is done.

Managed to break a mirror so ordered new gsxr mirrors for 28.00.. I'm getting locost now btw as I want this thing done and have bigger registration bills to pay.

Anyways here's some pics.. first, the kids love the car, climbing on it and pushing buttons etc.. and so much so that nacho(dog) thought he would join in..

I have no luck with deliveries btw.. that's a 1000L tote of liquid fertilizer that went for a ride off the tailgate. Whats going to happen when I acquire a lathe and a mill?

Busy with lawn care and flying these days, but have some evenings to snag some shop time.

Andrew

PostPosted: June 11, 2019, 2:30 pm 

Looks great. :cheers:

PostPosted: August 29, 2020, 8:20 am 

Checkin in here with an update on the car.... crickets...

Literally nothing has been done in well over a year due to my diverted focus. In February, I cut my finger pretty bad in the shop, a worn safety lockout on a pneumatic tool. Then despite my snow clearing efforts, wifey bails on some ice and gets a concussion. She's ok with some lingering effects. Then I get laid off in march. Kids were out of school/daycare for 3 months, so that really put the breaks on productivity.

Like it does every year, my business grows, so do my plans. In 2019 I took on some larger equipment, front mount kubota tractor, to help with the acreage properties I handle. I spent the winter building my own seeding equipment for it, I'm hesitant to show it, because it would be easy for a manufacturer to copy the design.

Otherwise, like most aviation workers, I am furloughed from my gig. In all honesty, I've been going flat out since I was 18 building my career and lifestyle. The time off has been great, and surprisingly, lawn care/pest control is surprisingly robust, with managed growth. Our dry summer has been particularly busy with insect management, and now seeding repairs into fall. Kids are both in daycare, and wifey works from home, so our life balance has never been better with me around more. I've been able to replace the income lost with my side business. I wish I could say the same for my fellow co workers, but there are real financial and mental struggles ot there within close circles. Fortunately, the people in my circles have not yet had any physical health challenges including covid. I'll be keeping close tabs on those guys. We have sunday morning breakfast club going now to stay connected.

In other news, I have been collecting things like I do. This time it's a 12x36 lathe, a eye height lista style cabinet, and more shelving racking. Bought the lathe from a machine shop up the road. It's used well, minor wear, but for what I do, mainly bushings, bearing pockets, pins etc, and tractor parts, its fine. Moving 1500 lbs of cast iron can be hairy if not rigged right. All went without drama. A new 3 phase motor and VFD and she's up and running.

Also, to float my new to me kubota around, a trailer was necessary. I could have bought one, but to build one carries a better taxation situation as the small bits are written off against taxes that year. It's no coincidence that it's the size required for my car.

I'll work on some pics.
Andrew

PostPosted: August 30, 2020, 7:21 am 

Pics. And correction for the machine tools enthusiast, it's a 12x32 lathe. Mondiale Celtic 12 mk 2. Made sometime after 1978. That Lyon cabinet, I wasn't looking for one, but for the price, couldn't be passed up.

Trailer is 6x12, sized for the car, but mainly used to float equipment around.

In other news, having zero connections to the local car scene since moving here in 2011, I'm starting to get to know people. Apparently a radical sr3 lives in my neighbourhood. There's a gentleman, that is heavily into the local racing scene, reached out to me over the last few weeks that needs composite work done. I may have some wings and other parts trickling in over the winter for repair.

Andrew

PostPosted: August 30, 2020, 10:18 am 

...Then I get laid off in march...

-You just brought back a flood of memories :shock: ... that phrase means a lot if it's ever happened to you..

It's good to see you post up here even without a car update.. Kudos on having a side gig at the ready, and handling this career detour in such a positive way.. Roadblocks like this can really derail a person, a marriage, a family.. you seem to be doing well through it all :cheers:

We were flat-footed and blindsided when I lost my main gig in the recession back in '08.. big picture, we came through it fine, but many of our friends did not.. I now have a much 'safer' career/pension, but things like recessions and pandemics still scare the crap out of me..

Soldier on- it's what we do :wink:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next