LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: June 25, 2019, 10:11 am 

Good on ya!

I'd skip the wing until I mastered the grip you have. That is, unless I had unlimited time to kill messing around in the shed. But that's just me.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 25, 2019, 2:40 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
I'd skip the wing until I mastered the grip you have. That is, unless I had unlimited time to kill messing around in the shed. But that's just me.
Hi Chuck! Sorry about the "open ended" chat on FB. I saw you online, had to say "Hi" and then things got busy...

Yes, valid point. It goes along with the "steady state/resist changing stuff" I was talking about. How-some-ever, I don't know how long it will take me to actually build a usable wing. Could be months, in which case I can gain some practice with the car during that time. I'm actually looking forward to the wing-building exercise almost (not quite) as much as I want to drive the car, so I don't think it will wait long to begin.

But first, I have to CLEAN the afore-mentioned shed. During all this cam-replacement/carb-rebuilding maelstrom, the shop looks like 37 homeless guys been living in it. Cardboard boxes and plastic wrapping off parts packages tossed everywhere. Not to mention the usual blowing leaves and other such stuff... :ack:

Peace, Love and "Leaf Blowers" --
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 26, 2019, 9:57 am 

I was surprised to see your FB chat. Thought you might have butt-dialed me. :D

No problem JD. Do what floats your boat. My garage is in a constant state of chaos. Long-term projects seem to get mixed in with short term household repairs and such. Just this week I was changing my rear brakes on my '15 Escape and had to make a tool to retract the caliper piston. I had to clear a small space on one of my benches to fabricate and weld 2 cut nails to a washer, then weld that to a threaded rod. Last night I had to make room for my table saw to cut some trim for my son's garage door. 8 ft in feed space and 8 ft out feed space required. First requirement was to find a home for the MG parts that had accumulated on the saw. Then had to wheel the rotisserie out a few feet to make room to get the table saw away from the wall. That also required moving the front suspension assemble away from the saw too. Sometimes it is a puzzle to get things moved to find space. I still have 2 used rear brake rotors laying on the floor somewhere. And last week it was weed-wacker carb replacement week. That was in a disassembled state for a few days while I awaited the carb. There is never a single project being worked on. And always a mess to work around. I pity my family having to clean this all out when I'm gone.

Cheers, :cheers:

Wackers, and brakes, and MG's, and trim, oh my!

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 27, 2019, 9:11 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
My garage is in a constant state of chaos. Long-term projects seem to get mixed in with short term household repairs and such.
Copy that... I've got half a dozen "house" projects scattered about on various tables and benches in my shop. For the cam replacement rebuild, I put a piece of plywood across two sawhorses for a work bench 'cause all the others were full... :ack:

And then there's the corner of the benches that's the "Hardware Department" with boxes of rivets, bolts, washers, etc and the section that's dedicated to fiberglassing supplies and the section with the drill press, cutoff saw, grinders, etc and the corner with the sheet aluminum and plywood and such leaning against the wall and... You get the idea.

Oh, and we mustn't forget the area with the grill and various burners, pots, lids, and other such stuff! Very important component of Team Slotus. :mrgreen:

But the real question on when I start the wing experiment, is just how long can I stand it before I just HAVE to play with that cutter I'd just tried out when all this monkeyin' around with the camshaft interrupted my play period? :mrgreen: We shall see...

Peace, Love and Hot Wire Cutters-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 1, 2019, 6:55 am 
We are Slotus!

So, a bit off-topic, like the rest of this build log... I was trying to fix a loose threaded insert in the "elbow" for the outside rearview mirror on the RV. In trying to lock it into the vise solidly enough to pound on it with a hammer and... Well...
Attachment:
06 29 19 Broke the Vise.jpg
I haven't broken an anvil yet. Probably only because I don't own an anvil.

Team Slotus, once again on the leading edge of breaking sh!t... :BH:

Peace, Love and "You broke WHAT???" --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 1, 2019, 7:52 am 

BTDT. I guess those vises don't like a bunch of hammerin' with 2# sledges. I actually welded mine back together with my 120V MIG. That it has survived a little over a year since then has surprised the heck out of me. You might want to try welding it. What could it hurt at this point?

PostPosted: July 1, 2019, 9:52 am 

Hi JD,

Well, sorry for your experience. I've learned my lesson with vises (but, not vices) as I detail here.

Prices have come down on some old line brands like Wilton. You can get a new vise, probably made in China, but to pretty high standards, for around $100. Don't buy the old Harbor Freight line. They apparently have a new line of vises now, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

The used, old-line vises on Craig's List and similar are ridiculous, like $400 for a 40-year old, beat up vise.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 1, 2019, 10:29 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
BTDT. I guess those vises don't like a bunch of hammerin' with 2# sledges. I actually welded mine back together with my 120V MIG. That it has survived a little over a year since then has surprised the heck out of me. You might want to try welding it. What could it hurt at this point?
Hi Chuck! First of all, I'm totally shocked that you would pull a stunt like breaking a vise... :roll: And I never would have thought of welding it back together. However, look on further down for my solution.

Lonnie-S wrote:
You can get a new vise, probably made in China, but to pretty high standards, for around $100. [SNIP] The used, old-line vises on Craig's List and similar are ridiculous, like $400 for a 40-year old, beat up vise.

Good advice (ad-vise?) Lonnie, thank you. But, as luck would have it, there is another slightly larger vise rolling around in my "junk box" already. (Who am I kidding... it's in one of my junk boxES...) It doesn't swivel like the old one did, which is why I mounted the smaller one to begin with. But it's paid for! And it's already here. If I remember right, it's a Kobalt (Lowe's) brand. I think that it actually belongs to Earl, but it's been here for years, so I think I'll just bolt it to the work bench and pretend it's mine. :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: July 2, 2019, 8:23 am 
We are Slotus!

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Holy monochromatic! Maybe some '57 chevy style metal trim on the side of the tail batman? Great scott!
Hey MV8! Remember saying that? :mrgreen: Heehee... And do you remember Marcus telling me that Rustoleum made paint with green sparkles in it? Welll.... Stay tuned!!! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and --
Attachment:
Glitter Paint.jpg
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 7, 2019, 10:30 am 
The voice of reason

Glad to see glitter gaining some traction there! When I saw that can in Home Depot, It seemed made for you. Now why don't they have purple when they decided to go glitter?

I'm still here and still pondering the aero stuff. It seems to me you want to build 3 or 4 elements of the same size, no larger main element. Smaller ones may be easier to make and only one size has to be much easier.

In our time off we're working on an RVLocost? What kind of feel are we going for here? Can we use old British sports cars as bumpers or is that too Mad Max? I like those new busses with the hinge in the middle, maybe we can work up something like that? Those new RV's always have push out areas. I think something that folds out floors and walls would be bigger, more sturdy and nicer. We both live on the coast, how much more trouble is it to make these float like a duck boat? We need to talk to MV8, he figures all this stuff out.... :rofl: :cheers:

PostPosted: July 11, 2019, 7:06 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Marcus! Good to hear from you!
So, three small wing elements? Hmmm, like the front wing of a modern F1 car? They kind of slope up to the rear, giving the effect of a wing with a lot of camber.

They DO make purple glitter paint, but the stores around here never seem to have any. I suspect the artsy-craftsy folk buy 'em out as fast as they come in.

I will be unveiling the first stage of the stripe-the-fenders-with-glitter-paint project a little later (today?) after I sand out the runs and drips from my painting yesterday... :ack:

Peace, Love and "Glitter Blast"--
JDK

PostPosted: July 11, 2019, 7:51 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I haven't broken an anvil yet. Probably only because I don't own an anvil.

Team Slotus, once again on the leading edge of breaking sh!t... :BH:

Peace, Love and "You broke WHAT???" --
JDK

Back in the 70s we had a saying in the timing crew at The Glen: Mario could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Our favorite F1 champ seemed to have a talent for breaking cars...

PostPosted: July 11, 2019, 8:07 am 
We are Slotus!

Run87k wrote:
Back in the 70s we had a saying in the timing crew at The Glen: Mario could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Our favorite F1 champ seemed to have a talent for breaking cars...
So you're saying that Team Slotus is like Mario Andretti??? COOL!!!

PostPosted: July 13, 2019, 6:00 pm 
We are Slotus!

OK, It's now Saturday afternoon before a Sunday race. We have an autocross tomorrow in Dothan AL. It's a joint venture with our group, Dixie Region, and Wiregrass Region in Dothan area. Should be hot as the hinges again, so maybe my old tires will find some grip. It was sho-nuff hot enough today whilst I was loading up.

Tropical Storm Barry cut a wide sweep around our part of Florida so he could flood New Orleans some more. Feel bad for those folks. But they're tough, they'll bounce back. We seem to have missed the storm/wind/flooding and I'm hoping that continues thru tomorrow in Dothan.

Meanwhile, we'll be going cone-dodging tomorrow. I'll report back afterwards. Keep your li'l fingers crossed, y'all!

Peace, Love and Orange Cones--
JDK

PostPosted: July 14, 2019, 2:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

Welllll.... Nothing broke, fell off or caught fire... Because nothing came off the trailer. The site where the autocross was going to be held is military property, part of a helicopter pilot training area. Sometimes, they don't talk to each other and when the Wiregrass SCCA folks get there, there are choppers parked all over the pavement. Other times, they find a crew painting stripes on the concrete, like they did today. Nothing they can do about it, just turn around a go home.

Earl and I had met up at the Hardee's in Donalsonville, GA, about an hour from the race site. Had a biscuit or two, and were getting back in our respective tow vehicles when his phone went off, announcing an email. It was from the event chairman, saying it was "off". We turned around started home. About 45 minutes later, they emailed again and said it was back "on" sort of. They'd arranged to use about half the site, parking and grid would be in the weeds. Best they could do. I talked with Earl, we kept on coming home.

Oh well, it was a nice day to tow your race car to Donalsonville, eat breakfast and come back... :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Sausage Biscuits-
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 316  Next