LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tundra 7 442
PostPosted: October 29, 2018, 8:43 pm 

Hi Steve,

I did very little on this wrap project, mainly just helped but did watch it as it got done. This was a brand new Camaro that he wanted flat black but not as permanent as paint so the shop wrapped for him.

As far as wrapping a 7 it should be a breeze. The vinyl is very forgiving and really follows contours and the 7 doesn't have any really tough contours. The nose cone would be the hardest I think. I have been considering giving it a go myself. But I'll check out a couple of You Tube tutorials first and perhaps spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express.

Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 29, 2018, 10:08 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Hi Steve,

I did very little on this wrap project, mainly just helped but did watch it as it got done. This was a brand new Camaro that he wanted flat black but not as permanent as paint so the shop wrapped for him.

As far as wrapping a 7 it should be a breeze. The vinyl is very forgiving and really follows contours and the 7 doesn't have any really tough contours. The nose cone would be the hardest I think. I have been considering giving it a go myself. But I'll check out a couple of You Tube tutorials first and perhaps spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express.

Cheers

Thanks. Looks nice. You know those Holiday Inns can work wonders

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: October 31, 2018, 7:15 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Thanks for sharing your trip! I love to see classics being driven instead of being polished with a diaper. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 29, 2019, 12:00 pm 

Hey guys. Man it’s been a long time. Hopefully everyone in the northern hemisphere is having a great summer so far. I have to get back on here. When I get back from vacation next week I’ll show a couple updates. So I am looking at some trailers. What would you guys buy. Purpose built. Their all 82x16 or 80x14. I’ve been looking at these things for 2 months. See you in a week, off to Telluride,CO.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 29, 2019, 1:22 pm 

Just thinking out loud. Has anyone ever run a 7 on a Uhaul car trailer?

PostPosted: June 29, 2019, 7:39 pm 

When I moved to the new place a while back, I used a U-Haul Auto trailer to move the locost (book chassis). It was almost too narrow (the locost), could have easily dropped through the opening between the right and left deck. I would measure inside wheel distance and check any open deck trailer before purchase.

PostPosted: June 30, 2019, 7:17 am 

I found that most store-bought trailers were too wide for my liking, they simply took up too much space, not to mention their unnecessary-for-the-job weight. And many didn't come with electric brakes, which I desired. Those are the main reasons that I built mine by modifying a pop-up camper. It was a 2-rail trailer that worked really well for the Locost. Not so well with the Cushman with it's 3rd wheel and no rail for it to ride on. Think about if the trailer will be a dedicated one for the Locost or you would use it for other functions. That might rule out the Econo-Trailer style (or maybe not).

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 9, 2019, 11:11 pm 

waltj wrote:
When I moved to the new place a while back, I used a U-Haul Auto trailer to move the locost (book chassis). It was almost too narrow (the locost), could have easily dropped through the opening between the right and left deck. I would measure inside wheel distance and check any open deck trailer before purchase.

Thank you. I get it.

PostPosted: July 9, 2019, 11:15 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I found that most store-bought trailers were too wide for my liking, they simply took up too much space, not to mention their unnecessary-for-the-job weight. And many didn't come with electric brakes, which I desired. Those are the main reasons that I built mine by modifying a pop-up camper. It was a 2-rail trailer that worked really well for the Locost. Not so well with the Cushman with it's 3rd wheel and no rail for it to ride on. Think about if the trailer will be a dedicated one for the Locost or you would use it for other functions. That might rule out the Econo-Trailer style (or maybe not).

Thanks Chuck. I did run through a price quote for building my own. It’s the same as buying one. Just kills me to build it but I do see what your saying. Everything is overkill. I like the single axles but then no brakes. I’ll have to go over an measure a rental. I have a Knoxville run coming up first weekend in August.

PostPosted: July 10, 2019, 1:26 am 

Hey Steve.

If you're thinking of building have you looked at the Stalker trailer design? If I were to build a trailer I would do one like theirs.

First saw one at a Midwest Gathering in Wabasha. Jack Banker's Stalker was on one. I was impressed with it a bunch.

You built the car so the trailer shouldn't be much of a task;<) . Take a look.

http://stalkercars.com/trailers/

Here's a couple of pics I took of Jacks. Wish I had taken more.

Attachment:
IMG_0581.jpg[/attachment
[attachment=1]IMG_0581.jpg

PostPosted: July 10, 2019, 11:24 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Hey Steve.

If you're thinking of building have you looked at the Stalker trailer design? If I were to build a trailer I would do one like theirs.

First saw one at a Midwest Gathering in Wabasha. Jack Banker's Stalker was on one. I was impressed with it a bunch.

You built the car so the trailer shouldn't be much of a task;<) . Take a look.

http://stalkercars.com/trailers/o built

Here's a couple of pics I took of Jacks. Wish I had taken more.

Attachment:
IMG_0581.jpg[/attachment
[attachment=1]IMG_0581.jpg

That’s really cool. I saw one similar to that a couple weeks ago that lowered with hydraulics so you didn’t Ramps. Defiantly slick design with the tilt. It’s in the price range. In all reality should be able to build it around $2200.

PostPosted: July 11, 2019, 9:00 am 

The Brunton trailer is a nice, simple design. They occasionally come up for sale on the used market around $1,500, give or take. The tilt with built in ramps is a nice feature. But it comes at a price of being longer than necessary for driving and storing. Also it is a basic trailer with no sprung axle. If I were to build a similar one, I'd look into modifying the design for some form of elastic suspension. I know some don't feel the need for it.

Steve, FWIW, here is the start of my trailer re-build. http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4145&hilit=trailer&start=683. Maybe you can learn something from it. Use it as inspiration or as a bad example, your choice.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 11, 2019, 6:05 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
The Brunton trailer is a nice, simple design. They occasionally come up for sale on the used market around $1,500, give or take. The tilt with built in ramps is a nice feature. But it comes at a price of being longer than necessary for driving and storing. Also it is a basic trailer with no sprung axle. If I were to build a similar one, I'd look into modifying the design for some form of elastic suspension. I know some don't feel the need for it.

Steve, FWIW, here is the start of my trailer re-build. http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4145&hilit=trailer&start=683. Maybe you can learn something from it. Use it as inspiration or as a bad example, your choice.

Thanks Chuck.
There are some good ideas in the thread as well. All pretty much pointing to, I should build my own to get what I need. I know because I want powder coat and nothing comes coated, just paint. I guess i'll rent again this trip and start making my own.

PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 7:57 pm 

So the tonneau cover is done, headrests are on, I love the look now. The trailer I bought looks like this one except a bifold ramp 5’ long. It should work the trailer sits low.

PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 8:55 pm 

Hi Steve,

Tonneau looks great. The headrests look good and functional. Just hope you never need them.

And that looks to be a good buy on the trailer. Only complaint I would have is there is no wheel on the tongue. With a 2X6 floor it might be a bit heavy to move by yourself. Would be for me but I'm old. Like the length of the tongue. Helps when you back up.

Cheers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 63  Next