LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 10:09 am 

Did anyone else watch the live Corvette C8 reveal over the Internet last night? It was glitzy, but pretty darn interesting, at least to me. You'll be able to find it on YouTube or similar outlets today, I'm sure. It's long - about 1-1/2 hours.

Here are some of the things I found most interesting:

1. Base price (slightly) less that $60,000 USD;
    2. 0-60 in under 3 seconds;
    3. A huge step up in the appearance/quality of interior spaces;
    4. There will be a right hand drive version - it's being built for world markets;
    5. Data logging with the optional, in-built system will be even more sophisticated, and pretty impressive;
    6. Very impressive luggage spaces;
    7. A really interesting structural approach using large, high-pressure die cast pieces;
    8. Innovative use of several materials, including aluminum;
    9. Heavy emphasis on suspension geometry and performance.

They used augmented reality to combine views of an actual C8 on stage with the projection of various parts/features onto/within the car as they were discussed. I think it worked really well. It was something like a real time, ghosted/cutaway graphic done continuously as the C8 revolved on a turntable. As a career computer/systems guy, I'll have to say I was impressed with that.

One thing I did not like (at least without seeing it in person) was the black accents around the side intakes, and in the grille of the red C8. They may be carbon fiber and look really cool in person, but they came off as very plastic in the broadcast presentation.

In a few days, when the website isn't overloaded (as I'm sure it will be initially) I'm going to use their configurator website to build one for myself. Could happen. :drool:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 10:09 pm 

I was impressed, looks like the whole C8 project has been pushing hard for 5 years to release on the moon landing anniversary, they pulled it off but I would love to see the "behind the scenes" footage!

Anybody seen reference to front rear weight distribution yet? Classically mids are 40f/60r?

I love corvettes for the "bang for buck" they give, and this is going to be a very serious contender in the supercar leagues. I hope they sell like hotcakes so in a few years we have some easily accessed high performance "bolt on" solutiuons for our homebuilt cars.

Glad to see coilovers and right hand drive feature too - still iffy about the climate control "strip".

Good job :chev:

PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 11:19 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
. . . . Anybody seen reference to front rear weight distribution yet? Classically mids are 40f/60r? . . . .

I haven't seen (or heard) any specific weight distribution figure yet. However, two speakers at the reveal did mention that the center of gravity target was the driver's hip joint. With the right side view photo, a person could "guesstimate" where that would be, and what kind of distribution that might yield.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 12:03 am 

Within 20 minutes of writing the above response, I found this quote in the online version of Autoweek:

"When you put the engine in back, your whole mindset shifts from ‘I don't want too much weight on the front’ to ‘I don't want too much weight on the back,’ says Juechter. “So you'll find most of our premium materials toward the back of the car—the rear bumpers, for example. They’re actually pultruded and extruded carbon fiber to lighten the back and get us to 40/60” front/rear weight distribution.", Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter as quoted in Autoweek July 18, 2018.

PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 11:53 am 

More detailed information is starting to appear. I snagged some screen shots from various videos and will post them here. Check out YouTube for the vids.

This is an interesting shot from an official Chevrolet video on the C8 development process. This may be an early, non-production vehicle. However, it gives some very interesting information on the possible underside construction of the car. It looks race car simple, which is a surprise. Other shots I'll post look more conventional to me.
Attachment:
C8 Chassis Underside.jpg

View of transaxle on production vehicle with body panels removed.
Attachment:
C8 Structure #2.jpg

A better view of the space frame structure around the engine bay.
Attachment:
C8 Structure #3.jpg

Both (small) torsion boxes and a structural tunnel are used in the passenger compartment.
Attachment:
C8 Structure #4.jpg

Notice the very complex die cast parts used here in conjunction with simple, formed sheet metal attached by various means.
Attachment:
C8 Structure.jpg

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 2:41 pm 

So Lonnie, you are saving your pennies?

I didn't find what the skin is made of. Parts are SMC which is a little disappointing considering what the summer sun can do to SMC long term. But then it is only 60k. And all in all pretty cool.

PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 3:59 pm 

@vroom

I'm thinking about that penny saving thing, Tim. But, I don't know, a guy of my age looks a little stupid in such a ride - unless he made it himself. :lol:

I think we are months and months away from real cars arriving at dealers. Chevrolet did something clever, though. You can configure and reserve a Corvette for future manufacture and delivery on a GM website now. I suspect the first year of production will be essentially be pre-allocated with minimal numbers going to dealers for showroom purposes.

I suspect the C7's out there now will get less expensive as C8 delivery time approaches.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 9:21 pm 

amen

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 12:26 am 

OK guys, got a question. SMC???

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 7:39 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_moulding_compound

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 10:57 am 

OK, THNX! Learned something new!!!

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 11:14 am 

The initial automotive uses for SMC were for bumpers and similar kinds of structures. There were problems getting coatings to stick to them. You have probably seen bumpers on cars where a kind of yellowish material is showing through a finish that's been worn off by weather and abrasion. That's early SMC.

It's gotten better. I have a 2002 Sport Trac. The entire bed, outside and inside, is SMC. The tailgate is metal because they used the same one as an earlier F150 model did. Here's the outside after I cleaned it up.
Attachment:
Small-DSC_9060.jpg

Here's the inside before I cleaned it up.
Attachment:
Small-Factory Bed Liner.jpg

So, that's after 17 years of use and no real maintenance done on it.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 28, 2019, 11:55 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
. . . .

I think we are months and months away from real cars arriving at dealers. Chevrolet did something clever, though. You can configure and reserve a Corvette for future manufacture and delivery on a GM website now. I suspect the first year of production will be essentially be pre-allocated with minimal numbers going to dealers for showroom purposes.

. . . .

I guess I'm smarter than I look. Today, July 28th, Michael Simcoe, GM design chief, speaking about the new C8 Corvette, said, "I think the orders have already hit the first year of production numbers." He later clarified the statement with, "It’s nearly sold out. It’s so close that it’s bound to be sold out soon."

Specific production number goals have not been publicly announced for the C8, but historically, Corvette output has exceeded 30,000 units in some of the better years. The C8 was just revealed to the public 10 days ago.

GM added a second shift to the Bowling Green plant where the C8 is made in April of 2019. Will they now add a third shift to meet this unexpected C8 customer demand?

Website, Corvette Blogger, citing figures from the site einventorynow.com, claims there are 6,025 new C7 Corvettes still at dealers across the United States. That represents all that will ever be since C7 production has ended. Will their prices now rise since the C8 alternative may not be available until 2021 if you haven't snagged your C8 production slot for 2020 by now?

PostPosted: July 30, 2019, 1:06 am 

Some insight into the C8's exterior design:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1907-20 ... BF027136CA

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 30, 2019, 12:32 pm 

@seattletom

Thanks, Tom. There are some nice "infrastructure" photos there too. The more I learn about the details of the C8, and the super-detailed design and development program they followed, the more impressed I become with the car.

I've not seen much mention of it, but the next step (I don't know which models it may appear in) is the some version of the Blackwing V8 technology. I wonder if that is going to be the basis of the C8.R race car. It sure sounds like a turbo in this video and not a 6.2L pushrod V8. Don't you think?

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next