LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: July 16, 2019, 1:44 pm 

That sucks about the autocross. I was excited to go to my first one since I moved 4 years ago this past Sunday, checked the schedule on the club's website and saw that it's for next weekend when I have to work. Not sure how I managed to get that mixed up, but there you go. Glad to hear the engine issues weren't too major. My little V6 has the same roller lifters and keepers with the sheet metal spider, and I was kind of wondering why it as important enough to have the dogbones right side up that it was cast into them. Guess now we probably know. It's kind of a fiddly system, isn't it?
Kristian

PostPosted: July 16, 2019, 10:47 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

Oh well, it was a nice day to tow your race car to Donalsonville, eat breakfast and come back... :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Sausage Biscuits-
JDK

Round these parts we call that a test run....... :thmbsup:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 17, 2019, 7:17 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
My little V6 has the same roller lifters and keepers with the sheet metal spider, and I was kind of wondering why it as important enough to have the dogbones right side up that it was cast into them. Guess now we probably know. It's kind of a fiddly system, isn't it?
HI Kristian- Yeah, "fiddly" is a good word for it. I'm still scratching my head over how that one keeper got away. Putting it in upside down might have been the problem. When I found it, I immediately grabbed it up and didn't pay attention to whether it was right-side-up or not. Guess we'll never know... :BH:

Quote:
Round these parts we call that a test run.....
It was more of a "Breakfast run" really... The Slotus never came off the trailer, but I guess I did successfully test whether the RV could tow the trailer to Hardee's in Donalsonville and get sausage/egg biscuits. In case anybody needed to know. :roll:
But, hey, it beats hell outta shovelling snow! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 7:33 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo!
Did I mention that the "Glitter" paint is a royal, double-decker pain in the arse to use? Painted one fender, put a stripe down the side at the top. Looked kewell! Went to the other side, taped it up (using the template I'd made from side 1) and started to paint. I'm not sure exactly what came out of the can, but it looked like gray snot with no glitter or green anywhere to be seen. I had shaken the can thoroughly both times. It was only about 15 minutes from one painting to the next. Same temp in the shed, same everything. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm gonna sand it down and try again later today, if I can buy another can of paint somewhere. I don't trust that first one.

Peace, Love and Aerosol Spray Snot-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 11:38 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Did I mention that the "Glitter" paint is a royal, double-decker pain in the arse to use?
Yeah, I'll cee that and raise it one wire brush enema... Glitter paint sux!

Different can of glitter paint. First one was Krylon, second was Rustoleum. Same result. I started last night, sanded down the ugly spots, put another coat on. It looked good at first, then Ka-Blammo! Right in the middle of the driver's side, a big blob of gray snot.

I went to the other side, sanded things down, shook the can and gave it another try. Similar, possibly worse results. I let it sit overnight, went out this morning and tried to do some "color sanding" with 1200 grit sand paper. No luck, just dulled the green around the gray blobs.

Now ya'll know I'm not one to give up on something... ("You've rebuilt that engine HOW MANY times?" Yeah, like that.) But I'm cutting my losses on this one. If it is my destiny to drive the all-black Batmobile/Slotus, so be it. The green/gray glitter/snot "paint" is coming off and my old friend "Matte Black" is going back on.

Sorry, MV8, it was a good suggestion. It's my execution of your idea that fell down.

Peace, Love and Monochromatic-
JDK

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 11:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
If it is my destiny to drive the all-black Batmobile/Slotus, so be it.
Hmmmm... Glitter green vinyl wrap... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 12:01 pm 

I was just going to suggest that...

Of course, there's always camouflage - semi-gloss black with orange cones painted on!

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 12:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

TRX wrote:
camouflage - semi-gloss black with orange cones painted on!
Yo, TRX! Nice of ya to stop by!
Hmmm, black with orange cones... I might park the car on the asphalt in grid and lose it!

In a former life, I was doing some metals exploration in Western NC, in the winter time. Lots of pines in the woods and snow on the ground and clinging to the trees. Our field vehicle was a dark green Bronco with a white top. It gets dark early in the winter. We walked back towards the Bronco in the fading light after we finished the days geo-mag surveys and soil sampling. Couldn't find the damn thing... I had to go back to my closest survey point and back-sight the heading with my Brunton and then walk that heading to locate our ride. It was almost totally dark, we were freezing our buns off, and I've never been so happy to see a truck in my life!

None of that has anything to do with painting the Slotus... So what else is new? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 2:50 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
. . . Hmmmm... Glitter green vinyl wrap... :mrgreen:

You know, I was honest-to-God going to suggest that, but I didn't want to imply I didn't have confidence in ya.

The vinyl wrap they have now days is mind blowing. Check out this Lizard Skin stuff (maybe make up with the spirit of the green one who lives within the Sloti?):
Attachment:
Lizard Skin GT3.jpg

Attachment:
Lizard Skin Vinyl.jpg

You wouldn't even need to get all the goober-snot off. There's so much texture, who'd know?

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 3:46 pm 

I'm wrapping my car now. Need more experience. Compound curves are giving me fits. Have some small wrinkles here and there but the color is amazing. Pics when done.

Worth a try JD. Samples are cheap. However they are usually only a square foot. Not enough to tell if thet tough area is really going to be that tough.

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 5:11 pm 

Hey JD,

Seen today in the paddock at The Hawk at Road America. Might appeal to you for use as a slotus tow vehicle instead of using the RV.

Attachment:
A278A960-F746-4987-B7AC-A8CB779C3268.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 10:31 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie- Damn, that thang looks positively reptillain!!! You are right, the vinyl wrap stuff they do these days is totally amazing.

Larry- Send us some pics when you're done. The videos of vinyl wrapping a car make it look too easy, I never did believe 'em.

Bill- Ya know, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. A stretch-limo MGB is just wrong, ain't it? :rofl: Thanks for send that!

Gentlemen, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments. But, I been chasing two grand-chilluns all afternoon and I'm pooped. Going to bed now... G'nite...

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 8:38 am 

Since stretch limo MGB's were brought up, This is one done about 20 years ago in the Chicago area. It is a little less 4x4 looking IMO. Still lost its sports car look.

JD. Wife and I did that earlier this week. 2 grandkids, ages 2 and under for 3 days! Rest. You've earned it.

I am Chuck, and I approve this message!

Attachment:
stretch.jpg

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 24, 2019, 9:50 pm 

JD re: wrap

I'm done except for having to re-do the left rear fender. A couple pics here and more in 'Completed Builds' later tonight or tomorrow.
And that Christian fellow from CKwraps Toronto can't be believed at all. What he does is just not possible. At least it wasn't for me.

Attachment:
IMG_0654.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0661.jpg

Photos just can't do the color justice. It's an incredible finish and has lots of depth. Just a tiny wrinkle here and there.

Cheers

PostPosted: July 24, 2019, 10:33 pm 

Larry, that is just beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person. :cheers:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 316  Next