LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 52  Next
PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 10:01 pm 

My roll bar is done! It is made from 1-5/8 x 0.120 tubing and the rear braces are 1-1/4 x 0.120 DOM. The legs slant at 7 degrees (83*) and the entire main hoop slants forward 7 degrees (83*). It is hefty but I feel safe knowing it is there and that this guy glued it together

Attachment:
IMG_2691.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2698(2).JPG

Big Thank You to Josh Briggs for helping in the 11th hour. He came through for me BIG TIME. Thanks Briggs!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

Last edited by Mnot on December 1, 2019, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 7:57 am 
We are Slotus!

If Josh welded it, the roll bar will be strong, safe AND pretty! Th' Boy does great work. Your car is lookin' good overall, too. How'd the autocross go?
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 10:53 am 

Well JD, it went about 500 yards. Briggs rode with me and at the first turn we both felt that the rear end was squirrely. By turn 4 the hub tried to depart from the car! Turns out I didnt torque the axle nut :BH:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Mnot on December 1, 2019, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 11:23 am 
We are Slotus!

OH NOOO!!! :cry: :x

I had a similar experience with those T-Bird axle nuts. Stop me if you know this... Those axle nuts are "one-use" nuts, they are slightly oval shaped so as to "lock" in place and not back off over time. The original ones had a sheet-metal "collar" around them that somehow did the same thing. They are also "one use" items.

I found them hard to come by. I'll get the part number for you later today.

Sorry that first try didn't go better. Hang in there, Bro!

Peace, Love and "Tight Nuts"--
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 5:46 pm 
We are Slotus!

Part number and a picture of the "not round" axle nut, in case you need to order new ones-
Attachment:
T Bird IRS Axle Nuts.jpg

PostPosted: July 25, 2019, 8:00 pm 

Thanks JD! It appears I did a "no-no" as I reused the factory nuts with the spinning washers. I figured the factory nuts would be better than the aftermarket Factory 5 racing nuts. A reminder, I have Factory 5 shortened axles for their pin drive Cobra Replica's. I have a new bearing and plan to press it in tomorrow and get it all back together. My race to redemption is on Aug 17 and I WILL be ready this time.

PostPosted: July 25, 2019, 8:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yup, that's a no-no... Guess you found out the same way I did then... Bummer, ain't it?

The aftermarket Raybestos nuts pictured are a replacement for the stock ones. If stock axle nuts fit your F5 axles, so will they. Chances are, F5 sells their "brand" of axle nut for twice the price but it's the same piece, just in their box.

We have a local event on Sunday the 18th. We can re-convene and compare notes that Monday. Good luck, Brother!

JDK

PostPosted: July 25, 2019, 9:33 pm 

To you too JD! hopefully we are comparing the size of the trophies instead of the amount of breakage :)

PostPosted: August 1, 2019, 8:33 am 

I got the new bearing in and everything back together. I am going to bleed the brakes since the wheels are off. I have 2 weeks before the next event.
Attachment:
Rear Hub.JPG

PostPosted: August 1, 2019, 8:36 am 

I dont know why, but since I changed from Mac to PC, the pictures are all turned 90deg. The pictures are correct in the viewer but when I upload them the are turned :BH:

PostPosted: August 13, 2019, 8:59 pm 

When doing a nut and bolt check in preparation for this weekends Auto-x, i noticed the driver rear wheel wasn't turning when i turned the passenger wheel. So, I removed the wheel and tried to turn it without success. Then, i removed the brake thinking that something might be stuck, no success. So, I removed the spindle and discovered that the bearing failed like the passenger side. The only difference is that it didnt come apart. The seal and carrier were destroyed and thus not allowing it to turn. I have a new bearing coming and hope to be able to press it in on Thursday. Thankfully, I have a spare spindle with a new bearing that has never been installed but, it has rubber bushings instead of the poly of the other one. I have it completely installed on the car in case I don't get the bearing in time to put the original back on. fingers crossed

PostPosted: August 14, 2019, 8:57 am 
We are Slotus!

Awww, Mannnn.... That sucks! It's always something, though. Race cars are like that. :twisted:

Good luck, hope the parts make it on time. Keep us posted.
JDK

PostPosted: August 14, 2019, 12:17 pm 

Mnot wrote:
Thanks JD! It appears I did a "no-no" as I reused the factory nuts with the spinning washers. I figured the factory nuts would be better than the aftermarket Factory 5 racing nuts. A reminder, I have Factory 5 shortened axles for their pin drive Cobra Replica's. I have a new bearing and plan to press it in tomorrow and get it all back together. My race to redemption is on Aug 17 and I WILL be ready this time.

I'd read those were not to be reused as well, was temped to do so, but maybe I'll get new ones.....

PostPosted: August 14, 2019, 2:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

Trochu wrote:
[I'd read those were not to be reused as well, was temped to do so, but maybe I'll get new ones.....
Well, we are two-for-two on bad results with re-using the axle nuts. As per Jeremy Clarkson, "Some say..."

Peace, Love and "Get New Nuts"--
JDK

PostPosted: August 15, 2019, 9:22 pm 

The shipping Gods have looked favorable upon me. The bearing came yesterday so I got it pressed in and installed on the car, WITH A NEW NUT!!

I got my new trailer hitch, for my GX470, so I can bolt it on tomorrow. It is similar to the factory hitch which bolts to the bumper frame assembly and carries 6500lbs and I gain 1"+ of ground clearance. The tubular Curt is only rated for 5000.

A few more bolts to check, and then on to the trailer tomorrow. Fingers crossed I complete a lap :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 52  Next