LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Altimate Go-Kart
PostPosted: August 22, 2019, 11:30 pm 

Hey guys and gals. My name is Jonathon, I'm from Missouri and I had planned to build a Locost. Then I saw the Midlana and thought "That's what I'll build!". I bought the book, made some plans, tried to clean and organize my 18'x20' shop and then had second thoughts. So my current plan is to build a smaller less involved vehicle. It'll be powered by a Nissan Altima (hence the name. I'm a sucker for a horrible play on words.) 2.5 4cyl that makes 175hp and 180 lb/tq. It will be a single seater and I hope to keep it at or under 1,000 lbs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Jonathon on November 14, 2019, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Altimate Go-Kart
PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 8:59 pm 

These are just some random donor disassembly pictures.
I'm a little worried about how stiff the insulation on the wiring harness is. I'm guessing the oil is causing this. In this picture you can see the brand new oil catch pan I bought. In the second picture it's in the same place but now the engine is resting on it. :cry:

Attachment:
donorcar2.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_30402.jpg

This is a "sled" that I made hoping it would make the Altima easier to tow through the yard. It worked great... in one direction.

Attachment:
IMG_3019.JPG

And here the Altima is being dragged to the alley, waiting for the rollback.

Attachment:
dragrace11.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Jonathon on November 15, 2019, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 9:23 pm 

These pictures show the jig I built to locate the stock lca's. I'll be removing the stock front subframe. I was hoping to save weight by not using it but it is a lot lighter than I imagined.

Attachment:
IMG_3164.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_31701.jpg

And here the engine is without the stock subframe.

Attachment:
IMG_31681.jpg

Last edited by Jonathon on November 15, 2019, 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 9:28 pm 

And just a picture of the jig removed from the engine.

Attachment:
IMG_3169.JPG

Last edited by Jonathon on November 15, 2019, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 31, 2019, 5:13 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The oem subframe looks light and well designed. Nice jig though. Have you found another l31 for the front suspension? You might look for an ser spec for the front. Probably has bigger brakes, caliper bores, and front swaybar to go with the ser 18 inch wheels. Looks like you could make a ubj adapter brkt that still retains the swaybar endlink about half as long. Probably need to put the ubj outboard of the strut flange to minimize scrub for your wheel offset and tire size.

I hope you got everything you might need off the Altima. Not sure if the engine and trans ecu needs any other computers. Probably need the oem ecu to keep the automatic happy.

Check out Egomans dodge intrepid build if you have not already.
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7995

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 2, 2019, 11:21 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
The oem subframe looks light and well designed. Nice jig though. Have you found another l31 for the front suspension? You might look for an ser spec for the front. Probably has bigger brakes, caliper bores, and front swaybar to go with the ser 18 inch wheels. Looks like you could make a ubj adapter brkt that still retains the swaybar endlink about half as long. Probably need to put the ubj outboard of the strut flange to minimize scrub for your wheel offset and tire size.

The front subframe is light and well designed. I should just utilize it as is but it's not the right look for the build. As for the front suspension I plan to use the Miata setup that is laid out in the Midlana book.

I hope you got everything you might need off the Altima. Not sure if the engine and trans ecu needs any other computers. Probably need the oem ecu to keep the automatic happy.

I have pulled every piece of wiring from the car.

Check out Egomans dodge intrepid build if you have not already.
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7995

I have read his build several times. It's definitely an inspiration for my build.

Thanks for the input

PostPosted: September 3, 2019, 9:18 am 

Using the OEM sub-frames will make the fabrication process faster and easier, but realize that the average donor vehicle, unless from a [Vette, Viper, Miata, etc.] has a lot of compromises in the suspension design. If your single seater "go-cart" is more pointed toward good handling, you should consider doing a complete analysis of the current suspension system and then look at modifications needed to optimize the design. You will probably find that the only donor thing useable is a couple sub-frame brackets, plus you will be able to fabricate a lighter structure then the OEM sub-frame. It's more work, but your build goals should set the design requirements. Do not think OEM,s have the same design goals. The design is almost always cost driven. I've even been in design meetings where the objective was to decrease cornering capability of the vehicle to protect Joe public. Davew

PostPosted: September 25, 2019, 10:14 pm 

davew wrote:
Using the OEM sub-frames will make the fabrication process faster and easier, but realize that the average donor vehicle, unless from a [Vette, Viper, Miata, etc.] has a lot of compromises in the suspension design. If your single seater "go-cart" is more pointed toward good handling, you should consider doing a complete analysis of the current suspension system and then look at modifications needed to optimize the design. You will probably find that the only donor thing useable is a couple sub-frame brackets, plus you will be able to fabricate a lighter structure then the OEM sub-frame. It's more work, but your build goals should set the design requirements. Do not think OEM,s have the same design goals. The design is almost always cost driven. I've even been in design meetings where the objective was to decrease cornering capability of the vehicle to protect Joe public. Davew

Thanks for the comments Dave. My goal for this build is to build a running driving vehicle (something I’ve wanted to do since I was young) while keeping it as cheap as possible. This build will confirm if I want to invest the time and money in building a true car (the Midlana) or possible move on to a restoration. This build doesn’t need to have fully optimized suspension but it does need to be safe and work well. I won’t be using the stock subframe but I will be using the stock suspension mounts for the rear. I am currently thinking about using the rear hubs for the front suspension with custom fabricated spindles.

Thanks,
Jonathon

PostPosted: September 25, 2019, 11:08 pm 

I haven't made any progress on the build but we did get half of the concrete pad poured in front of the shop.

This pad will be 24'x24' and will serve as a basketball court for a few years. After that... who knows :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachment:
concrete.png

Attachment:
concrete2.png

Attachment:
concrete3.jpg

Last edited by Jonathon on November 15, 2019, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 26, 2019, 8:10 am 

"I am currently thinking about using the rear hubs for the front suspension with custom fabricated spindles."
Jonathon: Making spindles is a LOT of WORK. It will be very difficult to make that type of welded structure without any warpage. If you have access to a machine shop, then go for it! Some spindle bearings have a flat mounting surface on the back side which probably be the easiest design to fabricate.
If you are like most of us, and do not own a Bridgeport, consider modifying a strut or finding an OEM spindle that you can use. In the long run it will be cheaper and a lot quicker.
Locost Rule No. 23, KISS :lol: Davew

PostPosted: September 26, 2019, 10:06 pm 

Looks interesting. I like how it appears that you removed the "car" from the engine/drivetrain. :lol:

PostPosted: October 4, 2019, 3:08 am 

davew wrote:
"I am currently thinking about using the rear hubs for the front suspension with custom fabricated spindles."
Jonathon: Making spindles is a LOT of WORK. It will be very difficult to make that type of welded structure without any warpage. If you have access to a machine shop, then go for it! Some spindle bearings have a flat mounting surface on the back side which probably be the easiest design to fabricate.
If you are like most of us, and do not own a Bridgeport, consider modifying a strut or finding an OEM spindle that you can use. In the long run it will be cheaper and a lot quicker.
Locost Rule No. 23, KISS :lol: Davew

I do have access to a mill and lathe. With my limited budget I don't mind spending extra time fabricating something to save money. The KISS rule is a great rule and I follow it as often as I can. Although maybe not as often as I should.

Johnsinski wrote:
I like how it appears that you removed the "car" from the engine/drivetrain. :lol:

Now that you mention it, that is a great description of what I did. :lol: :lol:

Thanks,
Jonathon

PostPosted: October 4, 2019, 8:35 am 

Quote:
I'm from Missouri and I had planned to build a Locost...

Welcome aboard, Jonathon!
Just curious, what part of Missouri? I'm in Ozark County, South Central, MO.

PostPosted: October 6, 2019, 11:49 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
Quote:
I'm from Missouri and I had planned to build a Locost...

Welcome aboard, Jonathon!
Just curious, what part of Missouri? I'm in Ozark County, South Central, MO.

Thanks Mike. I'm about an hour north of Kansas City. Basically the other side of the state :D

Jonathon

PostPosted: October 7, 2019, 12:27 am 

This weekend was a good one progress wise. I built the build table! :headbang: I went simple with it, no glue, just wood no steel studs. I will be adding a fifth leg to the center. I didn't plan on spacing the legs that wide until I measured the engine hoist and thought "ya know, it might not be a bad idea to make sure the hoist will slide under the table".

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3551.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3552.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3553.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3562.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3563.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3564.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3566.jpg

Thanks,
Jonathon