LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building in modules
PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 4:25 pm 

I've been a long time lurker, engaging in conversation here and there. Started a frame once but, life circumstances required me to scrap it and move on but, the dream has never ceased. Being in the military, I live a relatively nomadic lifestyle, currently stuck in Hawaii. I was thinking about the concept of a modular/subframe type main frame. Something that could be deconstructed so that it isn't a 'car' per se for the PCS moves. I'm allowed 8k lbs in a PCS so I think I could easily squeeze a frame in the there along with the tools and other stuff. I'd imagine a frame without a drivetrain and fluids would likely be under 1k, kind of a work as you go thing.

Any thoughts, rigidity issues? I haven't gone too in depth in my mind yet, though I'd imagine it would require a redesign of the original style frame, or even something completely different.

Post subject: Re: Building in modules
PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 4:40 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Assuming you're talking about a locost chassis, it would be around 150 lbs, or even less. If you mean the entire car, minus drivetrain, yes, maybe 1000 lbs.

PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 4:54 pm 

That's a very interesting idea. For the 8,000 lb. do they allocate a container for you? If they do, that would give you a definite target in terms of getting it to fit within a certain envelope.

You'd have to give thought to how & where the chassis modules "break", and it would be a custom design for sure. I've seen a small boat hull that was built on the modular concept. You could unbolt the parts and pack them into a pickup bed. It might be possible.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 5:09 pm 

autoxinvr6 wrote:
currently stuck in Hawaii

I'm trying hard but can't seem to generate much sympathy for your plight. Maybe try me again in a month or two....no, wait, it'll be -30* here then so still no sympathy.....climate wise anyways.

Good luck with the project!!

PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 6:11 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
That's a very interesting idea. For the 8,000 lb. do they allocate a container for you? If they do, that would give you a definite target in terms of getting it to fit within a certain envelope.

You'd have to give thought to how & where the chassis modules "break", and it would be a custom design for sure. I've seen a small boat hull that was built on the modular concept. You could unbolt the parts and pack them into a pickup bed. It might be possible.

Cheers,

It's different depending on the moves. If you take the option to do it your self, it's a different ballgame but, in this case I won't really have that option. The military contracts a moving company to come pick up your stuff and they're usually 4-6 wooden crates something in the neighborhood of 6x6x8ft tall. They can fit a fair ammount of stuff in them. I have a 36in wide tool box and a 96in work bench. They'll shove stuff in all the little drawers and crevaces of your furnature and ect, it's not pretty but, they'll make it work, and they'll likely damage some stuff. Sometimes cosmetically, sometimes functionally.

I was thinking there seems to be 3 major functional areas the front suspension/engine area, the "cockpit" area, and the rear end/rear suspension area.

BHRmotorsport wrote:
autoxinvr6 wrote:
currently stuck in Hawaii

I'm trying hard but can't seem to generate much sympathy for your plight. Maybe try me again in a month or two....no, wait, it'll be -30* here then so still no sympathy.....climate wise anyways.

Good luck with the project!!

There's a lot more to this garbage dump then simply nice beaches and warm climate. I could go on and on but, the short version is i'm well passed ready to leave this crime ridden, over priced, population dense rock and get back to a main continent somewhere. Hawaii is not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 6:13 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Assuming you're talking about a locost chassis, it would be around 150 lbs, or even less. If you mean the entire car, minus drivetrain, yes, maybe 1000 lbs.

The 1000lb reference I was thinking would be for the car minus the driveline and fluids.

PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 11:04 pm 

autoxinvr6 wrote:
3 major functional areas

If you watch Episode 26 of Project Binky on youtube you'll see them use some really neat electrical connectors that are designed to allow modules of a car to be taken apart. Something like that could be very useful to you when you get as far as wiring your car.

autoxinvr6 wrote:
There's a lot more to this garbage dump

Sorry to hear that, I haven't experienced that as a tourist. What island are you on?

PostPosted: October 5, 2019, 11:28 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
autoxinvr6 wrote:
3 major functional areas

If you watch Episode 26 of Project Binky on youtube you'll see them use some really neat electrical connectors that are designed to allow modules of a car to be taken apart. Something like that could be very useful to you when you get as far as wiring your car.

autoxinvr6 wrote:
There's a lot more to this garbage dump

Sorry to hear that, I haven't experienced that as a tourist. What island are you on?

The electrical conector thing is a good idea, I hadn't even thought about the electrical side of it yet.

I'm on Oahu, as a tourist you don't see the down and dirty all too much, although there has been a string of crimes lately targeting tourists in hotel rooms and such but, meth is proably the state candy, and it's a driving force behind some of the issues.