LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Altimate Go-Kart
PostPosted: November 15, 2019, 6:12 am 

These are some pictures of the rear lca mount. They have been machined manually using a lathe and mill and are designed to bolt to the factory lca mounts with a section of 1.5" .120" round tube welded between them.

Attachment:
IMG_3771.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3772.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3784.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3785.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3786.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3896.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3900.JPG

I'm happy with the way they turned out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 15, 2019, 6:17 am 

This is the tubing bender that I built for this project (and hopefully others). It has sets of 1.5" and 1" dies.

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3652.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3653.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3654.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3655.jpg

Attachment:
thumbnail_IMG_3656.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 15, 2019, 6:21 am 

I hope to have the main roll cage hoop bent this weekend.

PostPosted: November 18, 2019, 12:48 am 

A milestone has been reached! I am positively giddy over this next set of pictures! After a lot of worrying, reflection, and deep thought (who am I kidding it was all worry) the roll cage hoop is done!

Here it is fresh out of the bender.

Attachment:
IMG_3992.JPG

I left it purposefully long to cover any number of mistakes that I might make.

Attachment:
IMG_3993.JPG

Here it is marked out to trim off the excess.

Attachment:
IMG_4009.JPG

These next few pictures are of the hoop trimmed, coped and tacked into place.

Attachment:
IMG_4012.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4013.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4015a.jpg

So far this is my favorite picture.
Attachment:
IMG_4016a.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_4017.JPG

PostPosted: November 18, 2019, 9:19 am 

That is some pretty fancy bending. :cheers:

Is it the camera or is it slightly off? It looks like the RH side in that last pic is slightly lower than the LH side. It appears the same side is low in all the other pics. It might be the table? Might want to check it out before you commit welding.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 18, 2019, 12:20 pm 

I agree. look at the top and compare it to the seams on the garage door. It really shows up

PostPosted: November 25, 2019, 1:00 am 

rx7locost wrote:
That is some pretty fancy bending. :cheers:

Thank you!

rx7locost wrote:
Is it the camera or is it slightly off? It looks like the RH side in that last pic is slightly lower than the LH side. It appears the same side is low in all the other pics. It might be the table? Might want to check it out before you commit welding.

trialsmangasgas wrote:
I agree. look at the top and compare it to the seams on the garage door. It really shows up

Yeah it does look slightly off in the pictures but when I check it with a digital level it's only about .2 degree off. That's with in my tolerance.

Thanks,
Jonathon

PostPosted: November 25, 2019, 1:55 am 

I was able to spend some time out in the shop this weekend. I made the lca forward mount tabs and tried to plan out the rear framework.

The tabs will be gusseted later.

Attachment:
IMG_4080.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4081.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4089.JPG

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 12:26 am 

Just some pictures from this weekend.

I need to make two more of these. I plan to use them for the bars going over the engine.
Attachment:
IMG_4169.JPG

In these pictures I add the bars that will later support the right and left side motor mounts as well as the strut mounts.
Attachment:
IMG_4099.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4100.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_4101.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4103.JPG

And because I whole-heartedly believe Mary Poppins when she says, "Just a spoonful of triangulation makes the stiffness go up!" I started on the rear x brace. The first tube wasn't bad but I figured I'd need some sort of jig or tool to help align the second tube.
Attachment:
IMG_4156.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4214.JPG

The tool isn't done yet but it looks promising.
Attachment:
IMG_4215.JPG

Thanks,
Jonathon

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 12:02 pm 

Jonathon,
My opinion (and the SCCA GCR roll cage design guide) that main roll hoop is a bad idea.
By the time you add members to keep it from collapsing in a rollover, you've built a heavier bar than if it were a better design from the start.
The wide shoulders to make it easy to clear the FEAD bits on the motor really weaken the hoop.

If you plan to track the car why build in something that will cause any scrutineer to call for backup before signing off on your car?

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 8:37 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Jonathon,
My opinion (and the SCCA GCR roll cage design guide) that main roll hoop is a bad idea.
By the time you add members to keep it from collapsing in a rollover, you've built a heavier bar than if it were a better design from the start.
The wide shoulders to make it easy to clear the FEAD bits on the motor really weaken the hoop.

If you plan to track the car why build in something that will cause any scrutineer to call for backup before signing off on your car?

Hey TooBusy,
I really appreciate your feedback. My plan is to add a diagonal tube from corner to corner and a horizontal tube from bend to bend. I’m guessing (I’m doing that a lot with this build) that should be more than enough to resist any deformation of the main hoop. This isn’t an all out track car, more of an exercise to test and increase my abilities. I will definitely keep this advice in mind. I’ve been thinking that I should have built the frame rails wider to start with. Your comment only helps confirm that thought.
I don’t plan to track this car much but I would be very disappointed if I couldn’t because it didn’t pass tech.
If you have anymore thoughts I would be more than happy to hear/read them.

Thanks,
Jonathon

PostPosted: December 3, 2019, 12:07 pm 

Just a few thoughts.
1. I'm guessing the horizontal tube will also be used for the harness straps. When you put it in place be sure to account for any seat mounting rails and keep it high enough to prevent compressing your spine.
2. Keep the broomstick test in mind going forward. You want at least 2" clearance between top of your helmet and the stick.
3. Not all helmets are the same. With my new one I was told to lower the seat on the Miata before I come to another track day.
4. Give your feet plenty of room. A cramped footwell takes a lot of joy out of an otherwise fun car.

I really like the machined bits. The Altima LCA lollipop mounts and the removable brace bar clamps are slick machine work.

Looking forward to watching this build progress.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 9, 2019, 1:44 am 

TooBusy wrote:
Just a few thoughts.
1. I'm guessing the horizontal tube will also be used for the harness straps. When you put it in place be sure to account for any seat mounting rails and keep it high enough to prevent compressing your spine.
2. Keep the broomstick test in mind going forward. You want at least 2" clearance between top of your helmet and the stick.
3. Not all helmets are the same. With my new one I was told to lower the seat on the Miata before I come to another track day.
4. Give your feet plenty of room. A cramped footwell takes a lot of joy out of an otherwise fun car.

I really like the machined bits. The Altima LCA lollipop mounts and the removable brace bar clamps are slick machine work.

Looking forward to watching this build progress.

Hey Toobusy,
Good to hear from you again. Yes the horizontal tube will be used for the harness. I will hold off mounting it until I have the seat firmly bolted in. The roll bar should be tall enough. I've checked it but since the seat isn't in it's permanent spot I can't be certain.

I'm definitely calling them lollipops from now on. lol :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for the comments and tips,
Jonathon

PostPosted: December 9, 2019, 1:58 am 

I had planned on using the struts exactly how they came from Nissan buuuuuuuuut when I talked to a friend of mine that has experience building drag cars he challenged me to convert them to a smaller coil spring much like Egoman did. I told him I didn't want to spend the money on a kit to covert them and he simply replied "You could make them" :shock: The gauntlet had been thrown down. I'm glad he encouraged me to go this route. I've learned a lot making these. I just hope they work :BH:

Attachment:
IMG_4274.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4275.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4277.JPG

Jonathon

PostPosted: December 9, 2019, 2:07 am 

I spent nearly 6 hours cutting and coping 2 tubes. Really it was 4 tubes but 2 of them were trash. I did get a new tool hoping to make the coping easier. I like it but it's not a magic wand and I think that was my main problem. I thought when I bought the pipe master it would let me skip several steps. That wasn't the case.

Attachment:
IMG_4278.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4246.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4281.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4282.JPG