LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 20, 2020, 2:48 pm 

Has anyone done a build table based on the quick jack?

I was thinking it would make a decent base for a standard MDF table top since it can be adjusted and lifts up and down easily. Lifts can move and adjust to make room for an engine hoist.

Only down side being no storage underneath and a total height < 25" but I was thinking I could cut some 4x4's to give me whatever height I want.

Quick Jack Specs Page: https://www.quickjack.com/compare/specifications/

If I wanted a 32" Table top it would be:

Total Height - (Quick Jack + Table Top) = Riser
32" - (17" + 5") = 10" Riser

I am concerned that the maximum riser that QuickJack sells is a 7" riser so if I were to restrict it to that I would have an operating height of 29" which I can't decide if that is too low or not?

Anything I'm missing?

PostPosted: January 23, 2020, 10:50 pm 

Hi Ben, I don't know of anyone using a QuickJack based table, but if I were making a build table that raised and lowered I'd think real hard about fab'ing a variation on Bad Obsession's hydraulic lift platform:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZ6eNj-IzQ

It could be designed to operate in the height range and capacity you decide works best for you and would be really useful after your locost was complete. A side benefit could be the fabrication practice you'd get (if you needed it) before starting your locost build.

For what its worth, my build table top is 30" high but there are times I wish I could lower/raise it, like for installing the engine and especially for vroom-vroom moments :D

Tell us more about your build plans.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 24, 2020, 8:17 am 

Another item to consider is the ability to level the build table. Once the frame started getting vertical I found myself using an angle meter / magnetic protractor just as much as a square. Under table storage is awesome if you are space limited.

PostPosted: February 24, 2020, 9:43 pm 

I appreciate the feedback. The main driver for the quick jack is I already had it in the garage so I figured I should make use of it. I use the quick jack a ton for my other cars and they are great in a small garage.

I've gotten it together now and it turns out it works pretty well.

Originally, I was going to fix the extensions for the jacks to the table but it was a pain in the ass. It works great and is plenty stable without fixing them and the future flexibility to move them, level them, change to something shorter or taller is great.

The legs in the four corners with wheels create about 1/10th inch gap in the center of the table but when the jacks are in place it is completely flat.

I ended up with 10" inboard legs for the extensions and ~13" legs for the outside (8' 4"x4" post). With some basic wheels from harbor freight.

Attachment:
20200217_172033(1).jpg
Attachment:
20200217_190130.jpg
Attachment:
20200224_174511.jpg
Attachment:
20200224_174659.jpg
Attachment:
20200224_174730.jpg
Attachment:
20200224_174801.jpg
Attachment:
20200224_182839.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 25, 2020, 8:55 am 

Very cool! I had thought about building something similar when I started my table as well. But my garage space was too limited here. I had looked at using the HF hydraulic motorcycle lift they have as a starting point since the weight of a Locost is low. It was rated at 1000lbs.

Attachment:
HF Motorcycle Lift.jpg

Thom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 3, 2020, 10:11 pm 

I would be really worried the motorcycle scissor lift is too skinny with an 8'x4' table that the table top would sag on the sides and ends even though it would be stable from tipping/rocking. You could probably add 1" square tubes between the table top and the lift to keep it from sagging.

Update: Having started building and tacking the frame together on the table I have to say it has been totally stable and is exceeding my expectations.

PostPosted: March 4, 2020, 12:39 am 

That MC lift is NOT a scissor lift, it does not lift straight up....