LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 30, 2005, 9:19 pm 
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=55167

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30, 2005, 9:34 pm 
That's the exact welder I have. works decent. there is a 20% off coupon for H.F. as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30, 2005, 11:18 pm 
I'm buying the "Dual MIG 151", which puts out 120 amps at its highest setting and seems a little bigger/heavier (confidence inspiring). If you do a seach for "dual mig" on harbor freight's keyword search, you'll get two results... the current sale price of $199 and an entry that I don't think is supposed to be in there catalog anymore for $159. Needless to say, that's the page I'm going to print off to take into the store for them to price match. It's on "sale" in the store right now for $299. I wonder if I can use my 10% off in addition to internet price matching.

It's gonna be pretty sweet if I can get a welder that lists for $399 for $143.10 + tax out the door. That will leave money left over for the gas regulator kit and a tank of argon/co2.

-Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 12:12 am 

I got the Dual Mig back about two years ago for $170. It works fine with or without gas. The welder linked to above would probably be fine too. The flux core wire makes for horrible spatter and fumes, but the weld penatrates excellent and some argue it is better than gas. Stronger, maybe, but definitely uglier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 1:55 am 

I've currently got a Linclon Mig Pak 15 that is 220V - I can't for the life of me get an electrican to wire garage - new housing market too hot. I thinking of trading it for the Mig Pak 10 model that uses 110V - still good enough?

15 - http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/ ... earch=true

10 - http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/ ... earch=true

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 2:17 am 
Ive got a dual mig too, quite happy with it, although there is a stick/tig welder Ive been looking at for $200, only think is that it doesnt have the foot control

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 9:17 am 
Dave wrote:
I've currently got a Linclon Mig Pak 15 that is 220V - I can't for the life of me get an electrican to wire garage - new housing market too hot. I thinking of trading it for the Mig Pak 10 model that uses 110V - still good enough?

Yes, plenty good enough to build a Locost. It won't have the duty cycle the 220v has, but this probably won't be a problem unless you're welding a lot of seams in a row without stopping. I'm using a large 220v Lincoln right now, and want to get the guy who owns it to get it out of my garage before I start my Locost. It's too big! I'll probably end up with the 15 or the 110v version just to save a ton of room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 10:28 am 
Mine is a 90/105 amp unit. Runs on 120v. I've had it for probably 15 years and it's plenty good to weld even 1/4" if you can get to both sides :)

The wire feed goes to 10, but I have never been able to figure out why. If I go anything beyond 4 it's way too much wire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 12:20 pm 
wheres that 20% off coupon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 2:14 pm 
here is a 10%
http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/showpag ... 214&email=

*****Bookmark the above link as the coupon will change***********

Last edited by jestre on December 31, 2005, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 2:19 pm 
"The Entertainment Book" has the 20% coupon, as well as a 10%, and a $10 off of $50 coupon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 2:34 pm 
ahhh, i thought they were online ones, theres no HB stores by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2005, 3:15 pm 

If you sign up for their mailing list they email you all the coupons as they come out. I have a 20% off any 1 item coupon in my inbox at work. If I had checked my mail from home I could email it to you. sorry.