LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: October 26, 2020, 10:29 am 

Sure, tell us more as things develop. This build log is a good vehicle for doing so, IMHO.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 26, 2020, 11:07 am 

Hamdip, thanks for the update. If you post, I'll read it with interest! I hope that you get the car ready and can run the big event! JD would have loved that. Bill

PostPosted: October 27, 2020, 3:58 pm 

Sure, love the updates. Carry on my dear!

lets us know if you go to the Nat'l and how things worked out.

Cheers!

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 2:19 am 

What they said! I always look forward to JD's build log to pop up, it's a never ending build log.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 6:59 am 

I'm so glad you guys still want to hear about us. Several of you were very good to us immediately after and we will be forever grateful.

Jamie (Earl) is planning on starting with the RV and trailer this weekend. The RV needs a complete set of front brakes (pads, calipers, etc.). The calipers are sticking which is why JD was having such an issue with it. The enclosed trailer is having issues with the lights randomly working and not working. Once he fixes those two things we'll have the ability to get the Slotus to the track. But, then we have to move on to mods to the Slotus. I hate to make a lot of mods, but its safer if we move the seat permanently to my position/height. JD was 6' tall. I'm 5'8. While my legs were just as long, my torso was/is short. (TMI alert...there was a time where I could steal his jeans and/or soft jammie pants in a pinch. In my defense, they were clean, super comfy, and he was NOT currently wearing them. He often called me a jammie pants thief.) Back on subject: I can reach the pedals, but can't see over the "dash" OR I can pull up and see, but can't floor the gas (a necessity in racecar driving). To me, the seat and the wing getting the right reason are first and foremost. Saving my elbow from the roll bar may/may not fix it self once my seat is moved. If it doesn't, we're going to have to cut out a section of the bar and relocate it lower or bend it out to accommodate my inability to drive with elbows tucked. JD drove like that, elbows tucked down. I think it was a hill climb thing. I'm weak. I need more leverage to turn the wheel. He was strong and had more power in his forearms than I have in my whole arm. He put the power steering in just for me. He never wanted it.

On the personal side: the grandkids had school pics taken. I'll try to post them. JT (Ducky, JD called him) is 3 1/2 and Jamie (JJ) is 4 1/2.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 8:38 am 

They are very cute kids and look genuinely happy!

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 10:33 am 

Hi There... I doubt I'm alone in saying I love to feel we are still a family...
Much love and respect... MangPong

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 1:41 pm 

Thanks for the update Hamdip. Kids are cute and it sounds like if there is a racing season you will be able to participate.

We are Slotus!

PostPosted: October 29, 2020, 2:20 pm 

HamDip wrote:
But, then we have to move on to mods to the Slotus. I hate to make a lot of mods...
Those aren't mods...They're simply finishing the car the way JD would have wanted you to have it.

Super cute (grand)kids! Thank you for the update on everything, and definitely let us know how preparations progress as the event approaches. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 30, 2020, 11:08 pm 

They're really cute. Thanks for posting.

Best to all,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 31, 2020, 12:09 am 

Driven5 wrote:
Those aren't mods...They're simply finishing the car the way JD would have wanted you to have it.
Yep, like Justin says, I can see it in my minds eye.

PostPosted: November 21, 2020, 2:22 pm 

Well, Earl and I headed over to Team Slotus World HQ Wednesday night. We cut the offending roll bar out. We had to make a cut of the side panel as well. It happened to be the panel with all the "important" stickers, but we kept the panel and all stickers will be saved and placed back on the car. Today, we ground down the points when the offending bar was welded, moved the seat forward (but can't lift it higher just yet.) I had to polish down some of the welds as it had to be moved about 3 inches forward. I requested new seat belts for my birthday from Mom. They should be in before the event Dec 4-6. We also shifted the rear view mirror 3 inches left. Earl bent the 2 curved rib panels on the seat out a bit. When Jamie was born, I became super "hippy" and said hips catch on those panels as I slide down into the seat. In reality, I'll likely need a new seat. I think the current Kirky seat is likely 16 or 17in. If possible, I should need a 19in just because of the hips. We are also more concerned with shoulder support vs mid rib support. That will be the next step in the saving/spending escapades. James still has to make a new battery box. We never changed directions planted enough to sling the battery before. The wing fixed that real quick and I tore the battery out on my first pass in March.

James also replaced the front brakes (calipers, rotors, and pads) on the RV and is still working on the enclosed trailer lights. Poor Earl. We learned in March that the power cord for the RV was about 20 feet too short for South Georgia Motorsports Park. We've corrected that and should have plenty of power in Dec. Earl and I will be taking his and her racecars to the event.

I've done a great deal of boo-hoo-ing the last week. We all really miss him. Every time I look around World HQ, I can't believe he's gone and I want him to come back. Pictures and videos have popped up on Facebook, etc and I just lose it all over again. Earl keeps laughing at me. I think he does it to keep from crying himself. JD hated it when we cried.

Next weekend is the last weekend to work on the car before the event. What do you guys wanna see?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 21, 2020, 8:34 pm 

HamDip wrote:
What do you guys wanna see?

Hi there, We want to see just exactly what you posted. We like to read about the details of what you're doing to the car and why you're doing it. We like pictures, lots of pictures, otherwize Perry wouldn't be able to follow along. We also like hearing about your memories of your Dad.

I truly understand how emotional it can be going into your Dad's shop in the early days after he passed. I found going into my Dad's shop and using his tools for the first couple of years after he died to be almost more emotional than were the days of his death and the funeral. I think that's because of the memories of the great times we had together in the shop, the stuff that was in the shop and its decor spurring on memories, and the inability to talk to him and ask him questions about stuff that happened in the shop. I can tell you that the emotions, the hurt, fades some with time but it does take some time. Probably the best thing to do is to honor his memory and "spend time" with him by doing what you're doing, working in his shop on his car. I know that he'd love to see that happening.

PostPosted: November 21, 2020, 9:53 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Hi there, We want to see just exactly what you posted. We like to read about the details of what you're doing to the car and why you're doing it. We like pictures, lots of pictures, otherwize Perry wouldn't be able to follow along. We also like hearing about your memories of your Dad.
Well said Bill, well said. I thoroughly enjoyed your post Hamdip, you've been passed the gauntlet and you're doing just great. And yes I like pictures, lots and lots of pictures.

PostPosted: November 21, 2020, 10:09 pm 

Thanks, Bill. I think I had heard something about Perry needing pictures because he still has trouble reading. ;) Maybe my 4 yr old can work on that with him.

I think you're right. But I also wish I had taken more time to spend out there with him. I spent time sanding and doing resin and fiberglass. But much of the bolting together was a JD and Jamie task and I stayed out of the way.

I know he'd want me to make it work and work well. But I also know how much he wanted it to do so with him behind the wheel. I'm really struggling with making it mine. Though I honestly doubt he would've wanted it fitted for anyone other than me if it couldn't be him. I'd give it up in a heartbeat if it meant I could give it back to him.

I see each tool, each bolt, each detail. All things he and Earl did together. I move gingerly to avoid places on the car known to "bite", but then I realize that the place i just avoided actually bit him once which is how I know to avoid it. And I catch an image in my head of the bite mark on his leg or arm or hands or head. I see him, clearly. Then I see a bite mark on my arm or leg. Or I can't get a bolt loose and I get frustrated. I hear myself yell Dammit. The one word he used when the kids' carseats frustrated him and he'd get mad. And the one word my daughter repeated that mortified him beyond belief. Of all the people and words to repeat, lil Jamie chose that one. (Note: her father and I have major potty mouths - a trait about me that he loathed - and the f word commonly flies from my lips.) But no, she didn't repeat me. She repeated him.

I'm sure you guys don't want to hear about all my tears and meltdowns. But here lately I'm having trouble escaping those.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 316  Next