LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 2:10 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Movable aero devices are illegal in most clubs ( at least I think so.. ).

Really? I've never noticed that as a rule anywhere. Keep in mind that cars like Porsches, Mitsu 3000GTs, VW Corrados, McLaren F1, Veyrons all have rear wings that are active.

Seems like that becomes more of an advantage under high speed braking if it was connected to the braking system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 3:26 pm 

If that spring wing was connected to a damper it may just work. Give it a try.

IIRC the problem with the seven is keeping weight over the front tires in a turn, so this solution is kinda for the wrong end of the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 3:36 pm 
The voice of reason

gtivr4 says:

Quote:
Really? I've never noticed that as a rule anywhere. Keep in mind that cars like Porsches, Mitsu 3000GTs, VW Corrados, McLaren F1, Veyrons all have rear wings that are active.

Seems like that becomes more of an advantage under high speed braking if it was connected to the braking system.

probably out of date here, or perhaps it was a more local thing. It's the type of rule that was used to disqualify the original CANAM fan cars. THere were also some bad accidents in the 60's traced to this kind of thing.

I remember people trying to use manifold vacuum to increase the wing angle. So when you got off the gas and onto the brakes you'd get a lot of downforce. Then you could have a delay to bring the wing back down, so you could complete the corner.

But these type of things introduce complications, and when they fail to work you may not notice until it's too late. Maybe not worth the extra risk when the downside is so large, like really serious high speed accidents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 3:52 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

It may be an illusion from the camera angle, but the nose looks quite a bit higher than the tail, if so, that's no good for aero or CG. If the diffuser is doing anything at all, it'll make the stance even worse on-track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 4:33 pm 

The S2000 boy try the Active aero back in 2003. they use switch to control the angle of wing . only two angle setting. for straight way or corner

Quote:
It may be an illusion from the camera angle, but the nose looks quite a bit higher than the tail, if so, that's no good for aero or CG. If the diffuser is doing anything at all, it'll make the stance even worse on-track.

Is not illusion. My front do sit higher then then back. due to the front suspion pick up point and very soft rear spring. As for diffuser. part of function is to cover all the open area at button part of car. IT do creat a bit more understeer then I like at hight speed sweeper. so i need to adj front shcok's bump to help it.

Below are the my setor for BW 13

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 7:29 pm 
Locostering Legend

1. Drop front end of car to match rear height or lower. Don't you have adjustable coil perches?

2. Remove passenger seat for record attempts. Head rest is well above hood.

3. Use tonneau cover for passenger side of cockpit.

4. Place fire extinguisher on passenger side floor. Now it's high weight in the air stream.

5. Remove headlights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 4:11 am 

1:. Cant relly do it, the Bike shock I have. the adjuster is to adj Preload only. and dont think it have enought traveling space to lower the car

2-5 Thanks for input. I alredy think of those!! for 2. I am afriad once I took it off. cant put it back togeter ;)

I am going to Button of willow this weekend.

The thing I want do before the event. Seal the front end. the under engine bay was pretty much open. fix my damage diffuser. and hope the tires is fully brake in. so it wont get greasy at 3 laps( it was a brand new set).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 10:06 am 
The voice of reason

Try running without the diffuser. I think it is producing more drag then downforce.

Sounds like lowering is a big job. But your fortunate you don't have a setup with the oil pan hanging down, so it really would be worth it to drop the front of the car.

Did you build it yourself, what kind of frame are you using and uprights etc.?

Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16, 2008, 4:25 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGI9twVNGVo

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16, 2008, 9:13 am 
The voice of reason

Too bad there isn't more footage of your car. So obviously more interesting then many of the others. Marketing I guess...

In car footage from your car would have looked better too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26, 2008, 4:33 pm 
Weight watcher

Congrats, Jay!
Very nice results, especially considering that Matt's miata has pretty much every trick from the miata aftermarket known to mankind :wink: .

gtivr4 wrote:
horizenjob wrote:
Movable aero devices are illegal in most clubs ( at least I think so.. ).

Apples and oranges.

Horizenjob talks about actual racing series like the WTCC, ALMS, Super GT, DTM or even Renault spec racers.
There isn't a REAL organized racing series in the world that allows movable aero.

Gtivr4 named a bunch of STREET cars that have moving aero, neither of which is allowed at any real organized racing series WITH those moving wings.
Of the listed cars only the McLaren and Porsches are really being used (or have been) for competition and always had fixed wings instead of the moving ones of their street counterparts.

The Redline time attack is what I refer to as "poster racing".
It's an event that is used mainly as a battleground for tuners of street cars to showcase their products on their own cars or customer cars.
This is really more of about bragging rights over the internet and cool pictures in magazines like super street, sport compact car, import tuner and such.
Of course, the old name - time trial, had to be abandoned as it is nowhere near as cool as the crooked translation of the Japanese name for the same exact thing - time attack!
:roll:

The cars are normally not your "regular" racercars that follow a rulebook closely to be legal for some racing series but more of the spirit of ITE / SU cars in various levels of prep.
There are some guidelines with regards to classification of the cars into street, modified and unlimited classes of their respective drivetrains, but that's pretty much it.
You can come with moving aero, nitrous oxide and whatever the hell you want on your car and most chances are that you'll still be legal to run in some class.

But, don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on the time attack format, it makes for some very interesting cars and great fun to watch at times, as the radical machinery that finds it's way to the track at these event can be truly amusing.
Redline (and it's owner Chris) has been a really great group to run with too so thumbs up for them for putting up some popular events.

Moti, who will probably try attacking the time too, at some point.

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1, 2008, 4:20 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ES6TPF7Krw

Spend few more time edit my time attack run. hope every one like it