LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 4:18 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Quote:
The chromoly (4130) alloy is also stronger than mild steel so less is needed to achieve the same strength. However, all steel has the same modulus of elasticity so regardless of alloy, stiffness is dependent upon the size of the tubing. Since most car components are designed for stiffness rather than strength, chromoly is a waste unless you redesign for it. In terms of shape, you can get it in whatever shape you want; they key is finding a supplier.

I've seen people go bonkers about heat treating and doing all sorts of other complicated stuff to 4130 post weld and quite frankly, I've never seen a reason. All of the FSAE frames (and suspension components for that matter) I've done were 4130 and aside from some post welding stress relieving with a torch on the arms, they were used as-is - nothing has failed to date.

Albeit they were all TIG welded; the only reason I wouldn't MIG 4130 would be the available filler wire. ER80S2 should be used on 4130. For some reason (probably lack of demand), I can only find ER70SD6 for the MIG.

A.Moore
for the full discussion.....
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3877
Quote:
But it really comes down to WHY BOTHER? 4130 is so expensive, and for what? You might be better off spending that money on extra go-fast goodies for your power plant. There are a lot of guys racing their Locosts and I haven't heard a single one yet say "If only I had used 4130...."

Just my 2 cents,

John

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

PostPosted: June 20, 2012, 11:11 pm 

Mr. P great input and i respect it however I think this thread needs a little more posts!

For what its worth, I would recomend everyone to do their own research on chromoly and 4130 alloy. It is great when welded properly, i've even considered it with my dune buggy. Back in College I was a member of the S.A.E. Baja club and we had a race team at one of our events that was from an all girls school and theirs was made out of 4130 Chromoly tubing to save on weight. Weight is super crutial(everyone gets same engine) there so they used this and did not properly weld it. The frame cracked mid-race causing a crash and broken arm for the driver. What I cant confirm was any post heating or what welder/ filler was used.

Long Sory short, they should have though outside of the box and used a Baker Harley Trans with the gearing changed like we did ;) No one could catch us. Too bad we had a breakdown due to blown apart U joint.