LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 9:10 am 

Here is a link to my set-up using 2002 R1 shocks: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3628 I am on the road now and can tell you they work fine for a road car. I think they will work fine for a track car too. You would want different motion ratio to make everything stiffer (and less travel). One thing to note: My car is pretty light (932 lb) so anything significantly heavier will be pushing the limits. I think they are near perfect for my application.

RacerDan wrote:
Sorry, but I'm like that famous politician...."All that math makes my head hurt" Is it possible to get a picture of a set up using R1 shocks and a thumbs up or down from the person using them? I'm sure that they aren't suitable for track use but as a Sunday cruiser?? I do have to throw this in...They sure are purty!!!

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 7:19 pm 

RacerDan wrote:
Sorry, but I'm like that famous politician...."All that math makes my head hurt" Is it possible to get a picture of a set up using R1 shocks and a thumbs up or down from the person using them? I'm sure that they aren't suitable for track use but as a Sunday cruiser?? I do have to throw this in...They sure are purty!!!

Granted there is only 1 on the road right now, but there will be 2 or 3 more within the next few months, but check out Grabercars.com. The car uses a R6/R1 shock on all 4 corners, and everyone that has driven or riden in the car has had positive reviews. I'm hoping to make it out to Carlise next month to get a ride in one myself. I've already purchased the plans.

PostPosted: July 2, 2017, 6:26 pm 

Hello All. This is my first post and I think I can give some good info on using these shocks with a pushrod suspension. I am not using them on a Locost but it is an 1850 lb race car (with me in it) and at the last big event was the 3rd quickest EMod car in the country, so they do work, at least on a race car. I am using 2007 Yamaha R1 shocks all the way around on my car and use a bellcrank and pushrod. I have used them from .5:1 motion ratio (.5" shock movement for 1" wheel travel) to .750:1 motion ratio and they have worked well either way. I have approximately 5 inches of travel (2" droop, 3" compression) with the .75:1 motion ratio I am using now. A street car doesn't need to be as stiff as my race car but my car might actually be a little too soft because it does lean more than I would like in turns. The valving on these shocks can be very soft or super stiff and so far the only down side has been spring availability. I modified the collar on them to eliminate preload and I suggest anybody using them on a car do the same thing. Here are some pics of the front and rear suspension and the car.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe50Qe ... gAVpWraiIw

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 11:03 pm 

marksawatsky wrote:
Hello All. This is my first post and I think I can give some good info on using these shocks with a pushrod suspension. I am not using them on a Locost but it is an 1850 lb race car (with me in it) and at the last big event was the 3rd quickest EMod car in the country, so they do work, at least on a race car. I am using 2007 Yamaha R1 shocks all the way around on my car and use a bellcrank and pushrod. I have used them from .5:1 motion ratio (.5" shock movement for 1" wheel travel) to .750:1 motion ratio and they have worked well either way. I have approximately 5 inches of travel (2" droop, 3" compression) with the .75:1 motion ratio I am using now. A street car doesn't need to be as stiff as my race car but my car might actually be a little too soft because it does lean more than I would like in turns. The valving on these shocks can be very soft or super stiff and so far the only down side has been spring availability. I modified the collar on them to eliminate preload and I suggest anybody using them on a car do the same thing. Here are some pics of the front and rear suspension and the car.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe50Qe ... gAVpWraiIw

Thanks for sharing and welcome! Would love to have more details on your car. What rear axle is that? I'm hoping to use R6 shocks with a similar weight so its good to know I'm not way off base.