It's been nearly a year since I posted any progress on the car here in this forum. Life and work have caused all kinds of delays with progress, but I've actually been slowly chipping away at the car's to-do list. Here is an update on what's been happening over the summer and fall.
First up are some monster jack stands I finally got around to building. I've had most of the steel to build these for a long time, but only recently got motivated enough to fabricate them. Now that they're built and being used, I can't imagine why I waited so long to fab them. These things are soooo much better than the rag tag collection of ramps, autozone stands, and blocks of wood I've been using. Very strong and easy to use, they're constructed from 4x4x1/4" square steel tubing. I can now safely lift and support the car all the way up to 40 inches off the ground. What a nice feeling to work underneath the car and not worry about it crashing down on my head.
Getting the car safely up in the air then allowed me to get back on the rear end fab work. There's still a bunch of bracing and gussets left to cut out and weld in. There's also brakes to figure out, stiffer springs to select and install, and about a dozen other little things to finish this up. As a reminder, the rear diff is an LSD out of a later model Miata. Hubs and axles are also Miata-sourced.
Finally, I've made some good progress on the intercooler and intake system mounting. Like much of this project, I started down one path, then backed up and went a different route. I think this new, lateral-arrangement of the top-mount intercooler layout is going to work pretty well. It will require some good heat shielding from the turbo and downpipe underneath, but I think it will be an improvement over the previous layout. In addition to hacking up the intercooler, I had to make some further mods to the intake manifold, too.
Life and work don't promise to slow down any in the new year, but I'm going to keep making slow and steady progress on the car...