LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 9:22 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Looks like your off to a great start, JD. It's very similar to how I want to do my frame, so I'll be happy to watch this! :cheers:

Watch? Like hell you will! Come on down here and help!!! Lord knows I need it!!! :D

Thanks Horizon... I'm interested in seeing where this build goes myself. Let's find out, shall we? :lol:

Hey Krepus, thanks... And notice that the title is in quotes. I'm kinda worried that I might get haunted by the ghosts of Arthur Mallock and Colin Chapman.

Oh, and I'm a day late, but HAPPY MARDI GRAS EVERYONE!!!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 18, 2010, 4:01 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I'm kinda worried that I might get haunted by the ghosts of Arthur Mallock and Colin Chapman.

!

That would make for some interesting and extremely educational conversation... I bet they didn't wear full face shields! jk.jk...

PostPosted: February 19, 2010, 1:16 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Thanks Horizon... I'm interested in seeing where this build goes myself. Let's find out, shall we?

I would love to help, and I was layed off just before xmas, so I have the time. It's a long trip though, too bad. Keep the pictures coming and make sure you don't weld yourself into a cage!

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 1:04 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Horizon... I'm interested in seeing where this build goes myself. Let's find out, shall we?

I would love to help, and I was layed off just before xmas, so I have the time. It's a long trip though, too bad. Keep the pictures coming and make sure you don't weld yourself into a cage!

Yo, Horizen- That's why I want you to come down and participate, I'll need somebody to help if/when I get in and can't get out!!! Besides that, you're the only one that knows about the "Hi-Fi Chassis"! (There's probably a few of those over at FSU, but I'm pretty sure we're both too old to do anything with 'em...)

Made some progress on the chassis this weekend, but no pictures. I'll try to take a few next time I'm workin' on it. I've cut and fitted the pieces for the upper front section of the frame. Not welded yet, but ready to go. I've got an X-shaped structure between the two upper rails where the UCA's attach, similar to Moti's build, but not anywhere near as pretty. It looks solid from my house...

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 2, 2010, 1:13 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
knows about the "Hi-Fi Chassis"! (There's probably a few of those over at FSU, but I'm pretty sure we're both too old to do anything with 'em...)

:)

Somewhere here there a joke about adjusting the knobs on the front, but I can't quite remember...

I think I'll just have to enjoy your pictures, if I can ever get down that way, I'll let you know. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: March 3, 2010, 10:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Gonzo Fans! (All both of you...)
Went to Jamey's shop last night, did some cutting and welding. Well, trimming and tacking actually. We installed corner gusset plates at the corners (duh) of the front of the frame and tacked together the upper structure of the frame, where the UCA's will attach.

Warnings/Disclaimers about the picture:
1) It was dark.

2) I was using my crappy cell phone camera. The front uprights look a lot more "vertical" and the front end looks more "square" than it really is.

3) This is not a typical Se7en frame in any way. It was drawn (word used very loosely) up before I ever saw a "proper" 7 frame. Mostly copied from pictures of Mallock racers and circle-track cars.

So, all you purists in the crowd just settle down, don't heat the tar or pluck the chickens yet...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 24, 2010, 9:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

Howdy Y'all-
We've been back at it, here in Dixie-Land, having fun with shop tools and metal tubing of various varieties. The pictures below will answer a few questions for everybody.

First off, "How tall is your frame?"

Remember, the basis of all science is accurate measurement.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by GonzoRacer on March 25, 2010, 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 24, 2010, 9:41 pm 
We are Slotus!

Me again... Last message must have been too long, the 'puter started acting woogitty, so I sent the first pic only...

We've gotten most of the frame rails "set in stone" design-wise, and tacked in place. (actually, some/most of 'em got final welded on Sunday), the two inner "engine bay" rails are not in yet, pending me borrowing the plastic engine mock up from a buddy in town. I used 1.5" square 16 gauge for the basic frame because I picked that size out of thin air one night, with 1.5 inch .095 roll bar tubing because SCCA said so, and some 1.25 dia DOM for diagonals because the guy at the metal shop said I could have the left-over 24 ft stick of it for "Twenty bucks if you'll get the damn thing out of the way" so I took it.

First, the frame as of Sunday. And then, the obligatory "test drive" pictures!!!!

The old, ugly guy is ME!!!

Last edited by GonzoRacer on March 25, 2010, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 24, 2010, 9:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

Actually, that wasn't my first "test drive"... And since I know how safety conscious all y'all are, I wanted to show ya that I'm safety conscious as well, when I'm driving an un-tested design. Here is the actual "first test drive" of my design:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by GonzoRacer on March 25, 2010, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 24, 2010, 10:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

OK, last ones, I don't wanna wear out my welcome here...

Sunday when I was working on the chassis, my buddy James was there, as usual. And, as a bonus attraction, Mikey showed up to work on his Nissan, which his co-driver had rolled (1.5 times!!!) at our Rallycross a few weeks ago. I walked to the far end of the shop to take a picture of the frame, and these two goobers had to get into the pic. So, we have Mikey driving while James does his best "Vanna White". (Even his BEST Vanna White ain't none too good.)

And, I gotta give credit to ol Jamey, even if he isn't Vanna White, for his time and effort in this project. So far, I've paid him a few free meals, some roll bar tubing and the promise of a roll of welding wire and a bottle of MIG gas. Here he is, measuring for a roll cage brace, in the dark at his shop one night. Gotta love a guy that'll do this kind of work, for the love of racing, cars and friends...

Last edited by GonzoRacer on March 25, 2010, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 12:41 am 
The voice of reason

JD, can't see your pictures... Can you upload them directly here?
Looking forward to seeing this...

PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 1:23 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, HJ-
I thought us old folks were supposed to be asleep by this hour? Thanks for catching my screw-up... I don't know why I can's seem to post pics as linkies in here like everybody else does... Oh well...

And, since you said you were interested in seeing our latest handiwork, here's a couple of other shots of the front end. I really like the way the rear corners of the front "box" part meets the diagonals. Worked out pretty cool, doncha tink? Meant to do it that way, all along... 8) Actually, those corners were supposed to mate up to the not-yet-installed inside top rails, but since they are going to have to wait until we mock up the engine location, and the diagonals just seemed to "fit" there, well... It's welded. I was going to make the inner rails removable anyway. I'll put a clevis in there somewhere that'll clear everything.

PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 9:07 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I worry about the diagonal side-tubes that are right at "head bashing" height. Is this a track-only car?

PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 12:53 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

Were did you get those A-arms from, Speedway? I'm thinking of buying some from there as it's almost cheaper than building my own, just wondering what the quality is like.

PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 6:46 pm 
We are Slotus!

KB58 wrote:
I worry about the diagonal side-tubes that are right at "head bashing" height. Is this a track-only car?

I'm taller than that, Dude!!! The diagonals are below my line-of-sight, but just barely. They would more likely smack me on the jaw...

It is intended for "track only" use, and there was some debate as to "side protection" -vs- "head bashing" (as you so succinctly put it) when they went in, but the protection factor won out. I won't be using the car without a helmet, and the side rails will be padded.

There's another set of roll cage bars that go in, once we're closer to finished with construction inside the cockpit area. They are even higher up. Same discussion, same result.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 316  Next