LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gsxr 1000 motor
PostPosted: March 25, 2007, 11:18 pm 

New guy with a question about dry sumps. There they really needed if you keep the engine in the same orientation as it was in the bike? LIke if you were going to run a chain diff.

And another question could you just turn a piece of metal on a lathe so you could mount a sprocket to it and have splines cut into the center and push your axles into it. Have it mounted into roller bearings and bolt it in the car and use the chain?

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25, 2007, 11:28 pm 

Something kinda like a spool for a honda. It would be a locked diff but it could work i think. What do you guys think?

http://www.richmondgear.com/01pdfs/HONDASP1.pdf
Something like this.

Vince

Post subject: Re: gsxr 1000 motor
PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 12:02 am 

hotmalevb wrote:
New guy with a question about dry sumps. There they really needed if you keep the engine in the same orientation as it was in the bike? LIke if you were going to run a chain diff.

One consideration is that a bike is leaning when in a turn. This causes the oil to more or less stay parallel to the oil pan mounting surface as if the bike was vertical. On a car, the centrifical force in a turn will cause the oil to move towards the outside of the turn.

Also the stock pan on the 1000 is tranglular shaped and will cause you to have mount the engine higher in the frame for proper ground clearance. My car has a dry sump system. I haven't measured it, but I would guess that the dry sump oil pan is about 2" thick below the mounting surface.

And another question could you just turn a piece of metal on a lathe so you could mount a sprocket to it and have splines cut into the center and push your axles into it. Have it mounted into roller bearings and bolt it in the car and use the chain?

Sounds reasonable if the metal is properly hardened. The Corvair rear end had basically the same setup at the u-joint. The splined open axles stuck into the u-joint and were held in place with a bolt and a large flat washer inside the u-joint.

How are you going to provide for rear suspension movement? It seems that the your rear end will be "locked" and not allow for bounce/rebound movement.

I think some people have taken FWD transaxles, mounted a sproket instead of the crown gear and used sealed bearings for an open chain drive setup. The suspension movement is taken care of with the stock CV joints

Vince
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 3:45 pm 

Will what I was thinking was in the end it would be be like a normal chain diff but it would act like a welded diff so i guess no diff at all. Do you have any pics of what your talking about.

And the oil pan think makes sense to me now didnt think about the bike leaning. DUH. Thanks very much for the help.

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 5:50 pm 

When I say axles i mean cv it will be a irs system.

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 10:12 pm 

What do you guys think about this?

http://gsxrzone.com/oilpan.html

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 11:14 pm 

hotmalevb wrote:
What do you guys think about this?

http://gsxrzone.com/oilpan.html

Vince

Looks nice but......... there goes Locost! That's 2 LUs [Locost Units] right there.

I should talk, 1 LU got blown out the window a long time ago! :oops:

You might want to ask them about usage of the pan in a car with the left and right surges of the oil. Sort of depends upon how the "swivel pickup" works I guess.

As a point of info, my dry sump has a 5 liter oil tank. The tank also has an elaborate oil/air separator built into it. The car was originally intended for racing so things like that would be important in the long run.

OK on the IRS usage of the axles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 12:07 am 

I wouldn't worry about the dry sump unless you are going to race the car on a track with sticky tires.....I've seen a hayabusa mounted transversely with no issues - but its a road car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 10:04 am 

Where did you get your dry sump and what did it cost you. The ones that i have seen are in the neighborhood of about 1200 dollars. The car is intended to be just a street car with very little track use. But the roads here in amish country are pretty track like. :D

I just want to make sure that the thing doesnt blow up I would rather spend a little more money now then have to buy another motor and then have to do the dry sump also even more cash. Thanks for all the help guys.

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 10:21 pm 

hotmalevb wrote:
Where did you get your dry sump and what did it cost you. The ones that i have seen are in the neighborhood of about 1200 dollars.

The 1st owner paid about $2000 w/shipping at the time.

The car is intended to be just a street car with very little track use. But the roads here in amish country are pretty track like. :D

I just want to make sure that the thing doesnt blow up I would rather spend a little more money now then have to buy another motor and then have to do the dry sump also even more cash. Thanks for all the help guys.

Vince

You might try asking the makers of a dry sump what they recommend for your usage. My pan came from "Extreme Engines" in the UK.

Another thought is that dwarf car racers use motorcycle engines and one of those parts suppliers may be able to help you decide. They might only use motorcycle engines turned 90° in the chassis though.

Also, you might look into an "accumulator" bottle oil system, which might be cheaper and could work for your situation. It's basically a tank plumbed into the oil system that has air trapped above the oil that enters the tank at the bottom of the tank when the engine is running. The oil pump pressurizes the air. If you loose oil pressure in a turn, the air pressure then forces the oil in the tank into the oil system for a short time.