LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 27, 2022, 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
PostPosted: July 12, 2022, 7:16 pm 

I spent the better part of a month learning how to wrangle a helicopter into various tight spots in the mountains, including some pinnacles not much wider than the skids, some BC hydro pads that are very close to and sometimes underneath power lines, and some peaks around 10000ft elevation.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 15, 2022, 12:03 pm 

Not today, but on the 4th. Group picnic at my son's family friend's place. He had a couple of kid's electric cars that were picked up as garbage. Since I had 2 young granddaughters there, we decided to see if we could get one running. Of course, no battery. So we grabbed a car battery and strapped to the hood and did some on the spot rewiring . Both motors now turned. That is when we found that one of the wheels was not being driven. The octagonal coupling between the drive and the wheel was completely worn. We coupled them together using some screws. Problem solved. The kids, including 2 older "yutes" played with the car well past dark and during some of the fireworks. Look at those 2 great big smiles. What more can a Papa ask for?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 25, 2022, 10:35 pm 

I've finally managed to acquire a lathe. I haven't brought it home yet, but I paid for it today, so it's officially mine I guess. Nothing real fancy, but it should do me for pretty much anything I want to do. It's a Bulgarian made Sofia 12x36 from 1978, and has been sitting unused in the machine shop where I work for many years. I got it for basically scrap price, $100, but had to do a bit of work to get it functional. I'm lucky enough that I was able to get quite a bit done on company time on that front though. The chucks were both missing and it uses some sort of proprietary quick change system, so I made an adapter and put a new 6" 3 jaw on it that had been ordered by mistake. It was pretty disgustingly dirty, so I spent half of a night shift cleaning it up. I'm going to use some pieces I dug out of the scrap bin to make spacers and lift the lathe up off the chip tray a bit to make it easier to clean and nicer to work at. I also dug through a bunch of old electrical junk and found all the bits I need to make a nice start/stop station and mount it where I can actually reach the buttons, rather than under the lathe. The machinist at work loaded me up with a bunch of old fashioned brazed carbide and high speed steel bits that he doesn't use now that everything production based uses replaceable inserts. I was told to help myself in the future, but I've got plenty to get me started for now.

Making the chuck adapter from an old blind flange on a bigger lathe at work.

And done. Checked for runout with a dial indicator and thesurface finish of the chuck made it jump around by about a thou, but it was the same all around the chuck, so close enough for me.

Fancy tool post. Apparently it's called a European style, never seen one before. Hopefully I can find another couple tool holder for it, but they're available for around $100 each.

Cleaned up and this is roughly where I'll have the start and stop buttons. I might end up adding a potentiometer to control the speed of the VFD as well.

So far with the VFD and electrical stuff I couldn't scrounge from work I'm into it for a grand total of $370, with a brand new $1000 chuck and a really nice tool post that retails for close to that as well.
Kristian

PostPosted: August 26, 2022, 1:57 am 

Used my old Enco mill to complete making new slide blocks for my 2-post lift.
They were about $400 to buy several months ago, probably more now.
Not counting my time I have about $150 into the set.
Taking down the lift and pulling it apart to install them is not expected to be fun.

PostPosted: August 26, 2022, 9:27 am 

Nice Kristian.

I bought a Harbor Freight mini-lathe used some years back. While I'd love to do more work with it, it only takes off 3-4 thousands at a time with steel. It is aggravatingly slow. I find I'm redesigning parts to avoid using it. :BH: Buying a full size lathe is a much better idea.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 26, 2022, 12:31 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Nice Kristian.

I bought a Harbor Freight mini-lathe used some years back. While I'd love to do more work with it, it only takes off 3-4 thousands at a time with steel. It is aggravatingly slow. I find I'm redesigning parts to avoid using it. :BH: Buying a full size lathe is a much better idea.

Cheers,

I've seen videos on YouTube of people making really nice and very accurate parts on one of those, but it definitely doesn't look fast. My dad has a big old American made lathe from probably the late 30's that I grew up with, and still have access to for bigger stuff. It's probably a 20x72 or so, but is limited to just over 350 rpm. I used to think those little 3 in one lathe/mill/drill machines were a good idea, but using my uncle's once cured me of that idea. I wanted a smaller lathe than my dad's for little stuff, and almost bought a mini lathe similar to yours, but couldn't convince myself to spend over $1000 for something like that new. I've made do with a very cheaply made wood lathe and very light cuts with a sharp chisel on aluminum, even modifying a piston to turn my son's Honda 50 into a 70 with it, but it's a no go on steel. I figured eventually I'd stumble into a decent deal on a good used machine, but never thought I'd get this good a deal on one. Now the hard part, clearing out a spot in my garage to unload it, and a spot in my shop to set it up. I'm going to lose a bunch of shelving on the wall I want to put it against, but it's still mostly just junk from when it was my grandpa's shop. I have a hard time getting rid of his stuff, but I guess some of it will have to go, or at least be moved. It'll be a lot easier to do stuff if I can actually organize it and keep the place clean. I just checked the tracking on the VFD that's supposed to be delivered Sept. 6, and it's already "left the carrier facility" in the closest town. I better get cracking, it might beat the lathe home.
Kristian

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 9:00 pm 

Began disassembling the Lotus Europa.
Bodywork is going to be the most time consuming part of this but is also relatively inexpensive until I reach actual paint.
Other than the body these are actually simple cars that should be no more difficult to restore than any other LBC.
Body off will make it even easier.
Still going to take a couple of years. :(

PostPosted: September 1, 2022, 10:07 am 

You will make a build log here, won't you? I always wanted a(n) Europa. That is until I realized at my age, it would be quite a chore to enter and exit the car. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 2:51 am 

Actually, unless you are a "Big Boy" the Europa is not that bad and gets easy with practice.
I found the MG Midget I have been working on more difficult to exit as the steering wheel and a floor brace had me nearly trapped.
Reclining the seat back helped a lot but still hard to believe I was so much more nimble and jumped in and out of them thirty years ago.

Todays exercise in new things was to hammer off an upper mast pulley for my old Clark forklift.
Frozen bearing, do not want to ruin the pulley or lift chain.
Need the Clark to remove the Europa body since I work alone.

PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 4:57 am 

You might be working alone, but if you make a thread for the lotus you will have a big audience watching over your shoulder!

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 7:06 pm 

Well, it wasn't today, but pretty darn close. I bought a new truck.
Attachment:
Front 3Qtr - Small.jpg

Attachment:
Rear 3Qtr - Small.jpg

This vehicle will be bringing on a whole new dimension to my life. At least that's the plan. Looking realistically at who I am, what I like, and the trials and tribulations of modern, international travel, I said "No thanks" to travel abroad, and "Yes" to travel in the USA and (I hope) Canada. The plan is to equip it for overlanding and get out there with my puppy dogs enjoying the incredible, diverse beauty of North America.

Even though it's a modest pickup by today's standards, it's got a mind bending array of electronic goodies.
Attachment:
Media Screen - Small.jpg

Attachment:
Connections - Small.jpg

And, yes, I is now a roaming WiFi hotspot. It's connected to the Internet, and has its own cell phone address. I've changed the name of the WiFi hotspot, and added a password for access. But if you're ever out there stuck in traffic, and looking for a connection, let me know. We're now known as "Lonnie's Taco" out there on the hot and dusty.

This is one thing I really like. The Toyota "SOS" button. It's like GM OnStar. Hit the button, and you're connected to an operator for assistance. That happens automatically if you're in a collision. The other stuff is to set the terrain type, lock the rear differential (the front does not lock as is) and set the crawl control, which works as your hill decline assist too.
Attachment:
Overhead Console - Small.jpg

I've heard amplified antennas for off road and overlanding boost reception substantially, but I have to research those.

In a few months I hope to have sold off my current fleet, and get this one equipped well enough to get out in the local deserts this Fall/Winter season, which begins about then.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 8:48 pm 

Overlanding is highly attractive. Great looking truck, congratulations! I'm expecting you to keep us posted ;)

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 11:10 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
I said "No thanks" to travel abroad, and "Yes" to travel in the USA and (I hope) Canada.
Well there ya go, nice wheels, and I'll bet you a dollar you would have no issue travelling with the pups to Holden, Alberta, Canada. And I guarantee you will be most welcome when you get here :D

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 4, 2022, 12:14 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
I've finally managed to acquire a lathe.

I just LOVE it.

I picked up a scrap Force International 12x36 recently, and sold my old 10x27 to pay for it.

You are missing the lever on the carriage for the half-nuts. You'll need that for threading. But only threading. Bet you could make one on that lathe.... (grin) .... making parts for the machine that made the parts for the machine.

PostPosted: September 4, 2022, 12:39 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Lonnie-S wrote:
Well, it wasn't today, but pretty darn close. I bought a new truck...

With the car nearing completion, it's a great time to have a tow hitch handy :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next