LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone in Houston?
PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 5:54 pm 

Hi all. Anyone working on a car in the Houston area? I've been wanting to build a car for a few years now, but don't have the wherewithal yet to get started. I'm hoping maybe by the end of summer I can get something started. Never done anything as complex as building a car, so if anyone is working on one, I'd love to check it out, pick your brain, etc.. And offer my services if you need a hand. I'm an artist working in metal, and also teach metal fabrication to kids at an after school program in inner city Houston, so I can fabricate and weld pretty well. I have access to a 220v mig, O/A torch, tubing roller, tubing notcher, and I have a 110v mig of my own.

Post subject: Re: Anyone in Houston?
PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 6:02 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Don't anyone encourage him or allow him to build because he'll probably show the rest of us up!!

Chopper like goats? (that will all become clear later on)

I'm in Fort Worth or otherwise I sure could use some slave labor.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 10:40 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I'm an artist working in metal, and also teach metal fabrication to kids at an after school program in inner city Houston,

Welcome to our crazy corner of the internet! Sounds like you're doing some good stuff. Here's a neat picture of an art car someone posted here a couple of years ago. In my mind, this is what me car looks like as I'm tearing down a track after some prey...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 12, 2013, 9:33 am 
We are Slotus!

Howdy, Chopper-
Someone mention goats? Uhhh... Never mind....

That car pic that Marcus posted might be from the Houston "Art Car" parade y'all have every year. It ain't one you built, is it?

Seems to me we had a builder from the Houston area, he was also a Spec Miata racer, and I can remember everything but his name!?!?!? (Gettin' old is a bee-yotch...)

Look thru the member directory, or do a search for "Houston" and see if you don't find somebody. I'll try to remember...

Welcome aboard, all the same!
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 12, 2013, 4:58 pm 

Thanks for the welcome.
Chopper Shop is the part of the program I run (I teach kids how to design and fabricate their own chopper and lowrider bicycles). Nothing to do with goats (so far).

That car was made by a dude named Mark Bradford here in Houston. I moved here about a year and a half ago, last year was my first art car parade (we entered the kids' bikes). That Radio Flyer was just ahead of us.

I've never built a car before, although I had an idea for an art car back in college. I'm hoping to buy a house/mixed use place this summer, so I'll have the space to build something. Then all I need is the money :D .

PostPosted: April 19, 2013, 12:22 pm 

I'm a little late to the party here, so hopefully you'll see this, but I'd like to raise my hand to say I'm in Houston. My car isn't anywhere near done yet (although I did drive it for the first time this week!), but I'd be happy to let you check out the car and chat. You can check out my build log (link should be in my profile under most active topic).

There's a couple "finished" street legal locosts around town, but I don't see either of them online much, and I haven't found the opportunity to meet them yet.

I was at the art car parade last year and remember the kids on the chopper bicycles. Sounds like a cool program you got there. I'm all for getting kids to work with their hands more. I should be at the parade again this year. If you're there, I'll keep an eye out for you.

PostPosted: April 23, 2013, 10:27 am 

Cool, I'd love to check out your build. Congrats on getting it on the road.
Unfortunately we aren't doing the parade this year. We are building an RC airplane with an 8' wingspan with some aviation students from TSU.

PostPosted: April 28, 2013, 9:16 pm 

I'm up in The Woodlands if you happen to be on the north side. Not anywhere near running, but it s a roller with an R1 engine in it.

PostPosted: May 7, 2013, 11:29 pm 

So I went to the Concours up in Conroe last weekend and after the auction decided that in my position, I would be better off buying a restored car and driving it, rather than building one from scratch.

If you want a better chance at finishing, get a head start.
I have a good 442e frame, R1 engine 4 brand new rims/tires, new brake disks, new fuel cell, custom rack and pinion fit to the suspension, new quick disconnect steering wheel, used MarkVII rear end, custom suspension seat frames from offroad supplier....and other stuff. No skimping happened here.
I have more money than time....and at this pace, I'll never finish.
If interested, PM me

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6173

PostPosted: July 1, 2014, 1:19 pm 

Sorry for bringing Thread back from the graveyard. I am in Houston and will be for a few days.
Are there any Active Lo costars in the vicinity of Katy Freeway?
I am staying at a Hotel near Loop 6.
Thanks in advance.
AA

PostPosted: July 1, 2014, 1:19 pm 

Sorry double post...
AA

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 9:45 am 

I'll be back in Houston on July 28th.
Anyone in the Katy Freeway area??
Best regards.
AA

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 11:43 am 

While I was in Houston I went and saw David's, VQ Locost on here, car. I haven't seen him post in a long while so I don't know if he still has it. You may try sending him a PM to see if he is still working on it.

He was over in the Katy Freeway area

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en